An e-mail question

Outlook mails going to Yahoo

Probably a silly question but not sure you to ask and you guys usually know the answers.

I just discovered that a lot of emails people are sending me are not reaching my normal email address but instead going to my “BT Yahoo” mail box; which I never usually check (only did it today cos I’m away from home)

Any idea how it happens and how I can stop it; it only happens with a few people and I know they only have the correct address.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

As much as you don’t want to believe it, that can only really happen if folks are sending to the “wrong” address (ie the Yahoo one)…

It is possible to setup some email systems to forward to another address but I don’t think that’s what’s happening here.

I suspect that at some point you have sent some email from your Yahoo account, and good old Outlook Express has added the Yahoo address to the recipient’s Address Book.

Another possibility is that you have the “Reply to” address set incorrectly in your mail client (Outlook Express?).

HTH

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I just had a look at my Yahoo account and I find that my Yahoo email address is exactly the same as my Outook Express emaill address which explains some of it.

What I’m confused about is that only some mails people send to THE address are going to Yahoo.

Does anyone know if you can access Outlook Express whilst away from home; ie on someone-else’s PC?

Thanks

Mike

<!–QuoteBegin>

Does anyone know if you can access Outlook Express whilst away from home; ie on someone-else’s PC?

Not really. Unless you specifically opt to “leave messages on server”, all your messages are downloaded to your PC when you open Outlook express. (And if you leave them on the server you run the risk of filling up your mailbox).

I s’pose you could set up a remote connection to your PC but that’s a real hassle and fraught with problems. It also means you have to leave your PC on the whole time and leave it connected to the Internet.

Most ISPs have “webmail” that lets you access your mailbox from a web page. That’s fine for reading email while you are away from home but doesn’t give you access to your previous emails.

My ISP allows me to “forward” all my emails to another address (as well as leaving a copy in my mailbox for when I get home). I therefore forward all my email to a gmail account. that way I have access to all my email wherever I am. Not all ISPs allow forwarding though.

HTH

Mark

<!–QuoteBegin>

What I’m confused about is that only some mails people send to THE address are going to Yahoo.

It probably depends on the client software (Outlook etc) that the recipient is using, and what options they have set.

Sometimes the “reply to” address doesn’t get used properly, or if there are two email addresses for the same person, they client (or the user!) may select the wrong one.

Mark