An Internet Explorer question

Exporting Favourites

This is really frustrating! I’ve just got my wife a notebook and I’m trying to export my IE favorites to it. Trouble is that the new machine wont let me and says that “I have to ask the Administrator for permission”. Well there’s only one user who is obviously the Administrator so I’m stumped.

Anyone got any ideas? I certainly dont want to have to input all my favourites (you can see I’m a Limey - haha!) manually.

THanks

Mike

On your old machine create a file “name whatever” right in your c drive first.

Open your internet explorer and when you export, select the folder you created “named whatever”.

Save that file to a flloppy. Put that floppy in your wifes laptop. Then import.

There’s another way. Done it myself many times:

IE Favourites are just shortcuts stored in a folder. If you can find the folder, you can just copy the shortcuts to the Favourites folder on the new machine via floppy, network, USB pen, etc.

On this PC (win2k) my favourites are in:

C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Favorites

where “mark” is the username I’m logged in with (the favourites are user specific and so is their location)).

If you can’t find your favourites folder, identify one of your favourites with a unique sounding name, then use “search” in Explorer to search for a filename containing the Favourite’s name. eg “n-track discussion forum” finds it on this machine.

Once you’ve found the folder, copy the shortcuts, go to the new machine, find the favourites folder on there and copy them in. Job done.

HTH

Mark

Easiest way I know of locating your Favourites folder:
Right click a favourite link and check its’ path under properties

Thanks Guys!!

Man that’s so easy

Thanks again

Mike

<!–QuoteBegin>

Easiest way I know of locating your Favourites folder:
Right click a favourite link and check its’ path under properties

Yep, that’ll do it too. Good one.