Android, PC or both?

purchase decision making

I was a profesional musician 20 years ago. Raising a child, taking over the family business, and life in general put my music on the sideline. Now that my daughter is growing up, I was thinking of tinkering with songwriting (I was always a sideman, never did my own stuff)

Back when I did stuidio work, digital recording was just starting to be a thing, now it seems really accessable. As someone coming fresh into digital self recording, I’m trying to decide which direction I want to go with software. I really like the idea of using my tablet to record anywhere I want, but it seems that the PC versions of this program are more robust.

What would be a better version for someone looking to tinker with self recording? Or is there a package deal where both versions are available? If I do have both versions, can I start a project on one platform and move to another?

Thanks,
Revy

Revy,

if you’re just getting started again with recording you could begin with the Android version of n-Track. If you happen to outgrow it, want to use 3rd party plugins or feel need to do more precise editing and more powerful tools (or simply the more direct input of a mouse and keyboard) , you can later jump in the PC version, which can load projects saved with the Android version so that you can continue working without having to reconstruct the songs.
There currently isn’t a ‘package deal’ with the Android (or iOS) and PC versions bundle, the way the Android and iOS app stores work make that somewhat difficult.

Flavio.

I’ve been fiddling around and learning the controls and I have a couple questions.

On the slider controls, there is an ‘S’. Turning it on changes the color of the track to pink. Does it do anything else? I can’t tell.

The metronome worked fine in the demo, but when I bought the paid version, it doesn’t. I’ve dug through the settings and turned everything on and off, but nothing will get the metronome clicking when I am recording.

Revy. Are your above problems on the tablet? “S” is probably solo. I’ve not played with the Andriod app but the metronome prob is likely a routing thing.

Quote: (Revy @ Dec. 30 2014, 7:42 PM)

I've been fiddling around and learning the controls and I have a couple questions.

On the slider controls, there is an 'S'. Turning it on changes the color of the track to pink. Does it do anything else? I can't tell.

The metronome worked fine in the demo, but when I bought the paid version, it doesn't.
I've dug through the settings and turned everything on and off, but nothing will get the metronome clicking when I am recording.

Are you using the Android or desktop version? As Tony wrote the 'S' button stands for "solo", when a track is solo-ed all the other tracks are muted, so you can only hear the solo-ed track.

As for the metronome, does the problem occur in a specific project/song or even when starting a new song (Hammer button -> Close song)?

Flavio.

I figured out the S button, yes solo the track. Thanks, that was the easy one.

I have a help ticked for the metronome, still bashing away on that one. When I installed the demo on my android Galaxy Tab3, the metronome worked perfectly. I scratched out a half arsed song and thought I should buy the full version. Since installing the paid version, the metronome never works. Ive opened new songs, uninstalled the program, switched all the metronome settings back and forth but nothing fixes the issue.

What’s even weirder: I installed the demo version right next to the paid version, and the metronome works perfectly fine there.

Hi Revy, n-Track for android developer here. You have likely hit a bug, but we are currently unable to reproduce it directly on any of our test devices. Thanks to your indications we were able to spot the possible cause, but to confirm this I would need your help again.

First, a couple of questions:
- Which n-Track version did you purchase? n-Track Studio or n-Track Studio Pro?
- When you try enabling the metronome, do you see a green dot on the metronome icon despite not hearing the metronome sound?

Then, a possible workaround: you should delete the temporary auto-saved song file that’s automatically created in nTrack’s document directory. To be safer, I would advice you to perform the following steps:

1) Uninstall both n-Track Studio (Pro) and n-Track Studio Demo
2) Find and delete ReloadSongTemp.sng from nTrack’s documents folder. You can use one of these two methods, according to which you find easier:
2.A) Connect your android device to a pc and open it as a mass storage device. Once the device is opened, you should see “nTrack” directory in the same directory where common folders like “Music” and “Picture” are. Enter “nTrack” directory and delete the ReloadSongTemp.sng file you’ll find there.
2.B) Use a file manager app to navigate to the “nTrack” directory right from your android device, the complete path is usually something like “/sdcard/nTrack” or “/storage/emulated/0/nTrack”.
3) Install n-Track Studio (Pro) again
4) Start n-Track and check whether the Metronome is working

Please let me know if the workaround works for you or not, such information will be of great help in developing a stable fix to be included in the next version of the app. Thank you!

Revy. I instead of struggling with the buggy metronome, you could crack open a drum track.