Ange's Preproduction Day

@ The Studio

Hey guys.

I had such a cool day, it was awesome fun. So … here are some studio pics and a little taster of what is to come…

this is not yet mixed, no levels done…just a raw live take (smidgen of reverb!) hehe, Tom was right…the engineer thinks that this could be just fine as the main take for this song!

so…what’dya think?

'Fantasy’

From a happy girlie… :love:

:love:

Sounds great Ange. I can’t see how you could improve it much. The voice sounds fabulous. Wish I had half your vocal control.

The mic, stand and pop filter looks identical to mine :)

guitar and vocal sound great Ange! wow…

Sounds pretty cool Ange :agree:

Hi Ange:

Those tracks possess much dynamic range and energy.
Whatever is in the microphone chain you really come alive…
I’m trying to recognize the mixer/console…
It don’t ring any bells…
Do you know the brand name ????

Are we able to get a taste of the finished product?

Bill…

Looks like a Soundcraft “Ghost” console Bill. Pretty nice units IMO…

D

PS Yep. If you do a right-click “View Image” and then zoom in… it’s a Ghost. BOO! (Err… good boo… not bad boo… err… you know what I mean!)

I think it sounds fabulous. BUT…if you ever have any qualms about a take, don’t ever be nervous to say “no” to the take, even if (especially if!) others are pressuring you to accept it and move on. E.g. if you have pitch problems or you think the phrasing could be better…the singer in one of the bands I was in sang a killer vocal on a track once, but the phrasing was off on one word, he really wanted to re-do it, we didn’t, all these years later I know he was right and I was wrong…shoulda fixed it…someday I should apologize to him… :)

That’s the Ghost LE, yes? Not the highest of high end, designed to be affordable for lesser mortals…lesser mortals who have 5 or 10k to spend…but there is no doubt that it is quality, and you sound great through it. Seems to me like you found a good home to record in. Engineer clearly knows what he or she is doing. Ooohhhh…knock 'em dead, Ange! ???

I got a feeling your gonna be spending a lot of time in that place…
You’ll need to carve out an area there (in the studio) for You and Rob to Call Home…
:p
:)
:laugh:

You’re right…
I followed your directions
and…

It’s so easy when you know how to navigate around/with your computer…
It’s a Soundcraft Ghost…
Way back in the late '70’s when I worked at the MusicStop we began to import Soundcraft Mixers and Electronics…
The original owner (or one of them) was Graham Blythe…
I think that’s how his name is spelt… He came over to visit us and the MusicStop and to promote
his product… He spent a month-or-more over here…
Anyway, this guy is one clever…
clever dude…
He is a musician…
An ogan player…
He was stuck on Church Pipe Organs… He’d go around the country to search out Casavant Organs… He became fascinated with this area because the churches in this province were polluted with pipe organs…
I don’t know the whole history of Soundcrat but I believe Graham sold his interest in Soundcraft to travel the world and give Pipe Organ recitals…
and all…

I stand corrected…
but I think the early days of Soundcraft and the assembly plant was in the East-end of London…
The Cockney Area…

Bill…

Thanks guys, so pleased you all like it, I was blown away by the quality of it all. i’m not sure how much more produced than that we are going to go to be honest…maybe a few flute tracks here and there and a harmony or two but mostly, i think we are looking for a good take and a raw album! Here is my favourite so far…

'DAD’

The engineer and I had a tender moment over this one, by the end of the first play back, we both had a tear in our eye! :;):

Ange x

That’s just beautiful Ange :agree:

Yep…beautiful heartfelt song :agree:

Very nice!- sounds unhurried and uncluttered. Will be cool to hear with those flutes/harmonies. Enjoy the continuing album production…

great job Ange - I’m taken by your unique style of guitar playing. Very nice foundation!

One thing that always happens in a studio, is that you get seduced by the studios ambiance and sound from the monitors.
You always sound your best emitting from studio monitors.
If your still liking the sound as much when you play it at home that’s good.

I would suggest just for the sake of your bank account that you do the same song in your nTrack studio if you have put on new strings.
Copy the mic placement that they used on you in the studio, and compare one last time, to be sure.
I really liked your guitar playing on this song!
:agree: Oh yea like poppa says! :agree: :agree: :agree:

That’s awful nice Ange…

I just got in from floor laying… I knew you’d have something posted up here…
:) I’ve been picking it apart with a magnifying glass… I don’t see-or-hear any zero’s-or-one’s outta place anywhere…
I hear some of your vocal harmony as a tease I don’t know how many seconds into the song…
Get him to poke that harmony fader up just a hair…
:p
:laugh: Mac McAnaly < spelling…
The big ToonTown Producer, should be over here on the n-Track Board to have a peek at this…
AaHh… I hear another harmony line just before the key change…

You know it’s great…
It’s So-You…
:)
:agree:

Bill…

Mac McAnally… my all time favorite country writer also.

Yep… That’s em… BoY… He’s got one set of ears on him… :laugh: :) :p

Bill…

:) thanks guys, I do think I could get a better take of 'Dad' so I will try it again soon.

I think you are right Levi, I definitely needed to take a good look at the difference between my recordings and the studio's but to be honest, There is no contest at all. it is not just the quality but the fact that there is no messing around, all the pressure is off and all I've got to do is listen for the word 'rolling' and sing my little heart out. I don't even have to press play to hear it back...it's awesome, he (Richard, the engineer) does in a few seconds, what it takes me days to do!

I can't wait to see what happens when all the harmonies and flute tracks are added. you know what I love the most about all this...it's got me soooo excited over what I do again!

life is great :;):

Ange x

hi ange,

glad to see and hear that your digging the studio. I just listened to fantasy and dad thru my crappy laptop speakers and I can tell that the vocal sounds very detailed indeed. Every breath you make before singing is captured so well in the mic. I bet you got goose bumps listening to that in the studio. these songs are very emotional and dynamic, i agree with previous posts that you’d prob struggle to keep those elements by adding to them. (in my totally inexperienced opinion) :agree:

al