Annoucing www.pcDAW.net

Shameless plug

pcDAW.

Check it out when you can.

Hey Mike,
U know I don’t know too much about computers…anyone who has listen tomy sound quality on the tracks can tell that! lol

But, I noticed alot of your units are 800MHz processors.
Just seems to me, and again since I’m a novice, that you should get more speed for those prices.
Granted you get custom builds that run quieter and are geared for audio in mind, but still seems like you could squeeze a little better processor into those units and still make a decent profit.
I did take notice to the fast hardrives, and I’m assuming those are scuzzy since there’s more than one drive.
I’m running a system I put together with novice experience.
It’s got a 1G,proc, the hardrive you suggested a while back, along with a decent card and DVD burner…it’s a pretty quiet system on it’s own…
Case, processor, motherboard,=125(ebay outlet)
Replacement hardrive(the one that came with the used system was fried) =68
DVDR/CDR burner =60(ebay outlet)
M-adio card =70 (ebay outlet)
OS, Windows98SE =60
Total Cost= =383

Still waiting for the motherboard that can handle a 64 bit processor…so the prices come down on the 2.6~3.0’s…that’ll be my next upgrade.
Now the computers are advertized as DAW’sn right…what exactly does that mean…something about recording music?
Yet I don’ see a soundcard in any of the systems?
How exactly is one to use these systems to DAW, without a card? Firewire? USB interface? didn’t see any of those features on the systems either… ???

You wanna build a custom daw for me?
Keep it simple,
One drive, fast processor, and a card, or other way for the music to enter the system…preferably firewire…included in the system.
Don’t worry about latest OS, (since most people have one if they already owned a computer) Hi end video cards (not gonna effect the sound) Dual drives, ect… although the 1g ram is nice.
Take out all the extra’s and just build something reasonably priced that get’s the job done…records music.
By the way what is a floopy drive? is that pronounced floppy?
never heard of floopys…must be one of those new fudangled things I don’t need in my system to record music effectively.

Get back to me on a price for a strripped down model, as I have described.

jerm

Jerm,

<!–QuoteBegin>

U know I don’t know too much about computers

I didn’t know that.

<!–QuoteBegin>
But, I noticed alot of your units are 800MHz processors.

That’s the Front Side Bus (FSB) not the processor speed. They are actually 2.8 or 3.0 GHz processors (for the Intel). Intel is getting away from classifying it’s processors that way because speed is not going up as fast as it used to (no pun intended), so now they name the processors, e.g., 630 Prescott or 820 Smithfield.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I did take notice to the fast hardrives, and I’m assuming those are scuzzy since there’s more than one drive.

They are SATA II drives, not scuzzy.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Still waiting for the motherboard that can handle a 64 bit processor…

Several of the machines on my site already support the 64 bit OS when it comes out. Actually they’ll support the 64-bit version of XP which is out right now, but I wouldn’t buy into that version.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Yet I don’ see a soundcard in any of the systems?

The audio cards I offer are under Extras. I don’t quote the DAWs with an audio card because they are so many on the market to choose from and everyone wants something different. Most of my clients buy DAWs w/o audio cards but I can put in any one you want to. You need to let me know which one or what you want to spend.

<!–QuoteBegin>
You wanna build a custom daw for me?

I’d be happy to. I can give you a quote. You should start with what I offer on my site. Please be specific what what you want.

Firewire is standard on most of the boards, however there is a new Firewire protocal: 1394a (or b - I can’t remember).

I won’t sell you a machine w/o installing an OS on it because I can’t really test it correctly, and I won’t put anything on except XP or 2000, or the 64-bit OS. Win98 is out of the question.

The floppy drive is a Sony drive.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Take out all the extra’s and just build something reasonably priced that get’s the job done…records music.

My DAWs contain the latest technology at the best reaonable price but we can price one that alot cheaper than the one’s I list but you’ve got to be very specific what you want, i.e., size and speed of your drive, one or two drives, speed of processor: 2.4 o 3.0 GHz or what processor, etc., etc. I need to know everything. Also we can go with a cheaper case if you want.

Aso, might you be interested in buying one of my used DAWs? They might meet your specifications & budget very well.

Also, I may be putting together kits. Is that something you’re interested in?

Quote (MidnightToker @ Dec. 17 2005,23:28)
The floppy drive is a Sony drive.

The site says floopy in more tha one place…must be a type-o.

Yes I will look into the used systems, (didn’t see a link though) and maybe talk about a decent cheap build, I wouldn’t be interested in a used hardrive, since they are notoriously flawed, and I just bought the new fastest one I could get for my current system. How much for one rib?
But again you migh want to list the processor speed…since all I can see is 800MHz on most of the systems, that would lead a novice like myself to assume it’s the processor speed not the model number since no processor od clock speed is specified.

EDIT/add on

I guess come income tax time what I’m lookin for is a modest case, with 1/2 decent motherboard and 2.6 processor, quiet fan, and power supply (doesn’t have to be the most quiet, just above average) Firewire ennabled on the system with some sort of breakout box configered. I would supply the hardrive and/or intall it myself.
Give me a balpark figure (IM if need be) so I can compare it to the headaches I would have to endure should I try and build this myself.

Keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Jeremy,

I think you will find Mike’s Audio PC’s to be of good quality parts. And his prices are quite reasonable. If you would like to compare, you can look here at Tracer Technology’s audio computers. You will quickly notice that they are quite a bit more expensive and yet use many of the same parts. I can also tell you that Tracer Tech has ver good prices so you can assume that Mike’s prices are really good.

I cannot vouch for the quality of the build of Mike’s machines, I have never seen/used one. I can tell you that like many people here, I have been building audio/video editing computers for years and Mike has the right idea about what is important. My only concern is the size of the main drive…40gig? I had no idea they still made them that small. With all the editing I do, I have 3 hard drives in each machine I use plus 3 external hard drives for moving around files. And the main drive (for software and OS) is at least 100 gig on all my machines. I use one that big just so there is no chance of it ever getting too bloated and slow.

Anyway, building them is half the fun… :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

My only concern is the size of the main drive…40gig? I had no idea they still made them that small.

He does offer a 200G extra drive for just 20$. ALthough, for 20 bucks on a 1000$ system , it might as well be thrown in as a perk!

I have an external Phantom 200G anyway for backup (you never know when your machines gonna take a crapper!) so that’s not to much of an issue. Plus I noticed when I was shopping for a hardrive a while back that the smaller ones have faster read speeds. I bought a 40G because it was the fastest one listed at the time within my price range.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Jerm,

The used systems are mine & there isn’t a link. If you’re interested, I can send you info on one - it’s my old DAW.

<!–QuoteBegin>

But again you migh want to list the processor speed…

Yes - I can do that but as I said, in the future the CPU’s won’t be rated that way. Most people know what FSB means.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I guess come income tax time what I’m lookin for is a modest case, with 1/2 decent motherboard and 2.6 processor, quiet fan, and power supply (doesn’t have to be the most quiet, just above average) Firewire ennabled on the system with some sort of breakout box configered. I would supply the hardrive and/or intall it myself.

This gives me a better idea of what you are looking for. However, I won’t sell a machine that I can’t test, so you would need to send me any hard drive that you want to use.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Give me a balpark figure (IM if need be) so I can compare it to the headaches I would have to endure should I try and build this myself.

It would actually be easier if you would give me an idea of what your budget is. Then I could price a machine accordingly.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I think you will find Mike’s Audio PC’s to be of good quality parts. And his prices are quite reasonable.

Thanks Mike. I only use the “best” components at the “best” price which means I’m constantly putting “better” components in as their prices drops. My prices are good because I just lowered them.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I cannot vouch for the quality of the build of Mike’s machines, I have never seen/used one.

All my clients are happy so far. One guy ordered 3 DAWs from me. I’ve got another re-order coming soon. In addition, I use the same machines that I build, and I put them through their paces.

<!–QuoteBegin>
My only concern is the size of the main drive…40gig? I had no idea they still made them that small.

Sure they do. I can put in any size for the main drive that you want. I used to put in two 80 GB drives in a RAID-0 configuration but lately the disks have gotten fast enough so people aren’t requesting RAID as much, so I went to a 40/120 two disk drive configuration. That should work well for most people.

To keep costs low, we could also consider using a slightly used Asus P4C800-E DELUXE motherboard (same one that I use) that was part of a computer damaged in shipping. I also have an Antec Sonata case that you could have (same case I use) but it might need a new power supply (it was damaged also). Let me know because I’ll give you both the motherboard & case for free and I can price a computer using these components & the cost will be much lower.

Thanks.

I’ve got a new offering - a dual core AMD & it will smoke!

See Click AMD.

The price looks right! :)

I’ve never used an AMD chip but alot of people have with good results.

There are apparently some issues with AMD mobo’s that use NVIDIA chipsets and Echo Audio interfaces, which I have. Just that alone is enough for me to stay away from AMD personally. I’ve never had a problem with an Intel CPU, even though they are slower than AMDs.

I’ve update my web sites with song links, new photos & content (studio, etc). Check 'em out when you have time - Music Is Love and pcDAW.net.

Right before XMas, I got a DAW order for a high-end dual-core DAW - I can’t wait to build it!

Jerm,
Long time no see! I’ve got one of Mikes very first DAWs–I bought it…what, a year or two ago anyway…It is STILL running flawlessly in Jamaica despite the weird voltages, heat and humidity. Yup, 850mhz and two 40g drives…as simple as it gets.
Mike—well, when I get back to the states I’ll be shoppin, but not until then…
Peace,
-Ed

Hey Ed,

Glad to hear your computer is still working well!

Mike