Another on my top 10 greatest

we forgot…

Buddy Holly! I just got a CD for my kids to listen to, they dig it, and I had forgotten what a talent he was. Imagine he was still with us, kicking 70 years old - imagine what he might have done over the years, given what he did in almost no time at all. :)

My vote would be for Charlie Christian. If he were to have survived his tuberculosis, he might have even done greater things than his short time on earth already provided. As it is he is the inspiration for all jazz guitarists that followed him.

Good one!

IiKkNnOoWw:
Isn’t that what inspires us all to continue with this Labor-of-Love?

Everyone of us, up here, on this Board has someone or a list of People-or Groups that If We were Them, we would’da shown them All… what we would have done… had we been Blessed with the same oppertunities… Well…

Bill…

[EDIT]
For me, and… I’m only discovering this…

It’s the lyric writers that causes the music to happen… I think :O

Buddy Holly was great.

Charlie Christian, OH YES!

Agreed on Buddy Holly! Always thought that a lot of 70s legends wouldn’t have had a career if it wasn’t for Chuck Berry.

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 25 2006,08:40)
Imagine he was still with us, kicking 70 years old - imagine what he might have done over the years, given what he did in almost no time at all. :)

That's a good question Tom.
But not to take nothing away from Buddy, 'cause I've always admired him.

But to look at the question in more general context.

It seems artist write many great things and are insprired deeply during their struggle and journey from the bottom to the top.
But often once they reach the top that's where it ends.
That's were something majical is often lost IMHO.
When a person leaves the struggle, and reaches comfort and notoriety.

I will use a few examples of people and bands who are still with us or at least stayed alive 25 years or so after they became famous to illustrate my point.

Ted Nuggent
Aretha Franklin
Smokey Robertson
Neil Young (Toker don't hate me..lol)
Jerry Lee Lewis
The Stones
(All the 70's/80's metal bands) just too many good ones to list...

Now has any of these produced anything "GREAT" in the past 25 years? Not IMHO.
But had any of them died in their heyday we would all say...
"What they might have done had they had the time"
Truth is, they, and many others, have had the time, and it rendered nothing of significance.

Problem is, there's only one "Great Balls of Fire"
only one, "Cat scratch Fever"
only one, "Respect".

And if you look at their lives, they spend the rest of the time preforming that "Hit" or trying to create another, usually to a discraceful end.

So I don't ponder what Buddy would have done with all that time.
Perhaps, a year or two more would have yeilded more gold. I'm sure there where a few songs he still had in the works ( I have heard a few inreleased things that showed promise)
But after that, it's likely he would face the same conundrum many do, trying to return to a place that you never can.
I for one am glad he never had to be a washed up, has been.
Or ever had to go through the disapointment of tring to live up to his own success. He was spared that, IMHO, and now can remain, in his glory, the legend he is.

keep shinin'

jerm :cool:

Personally I don’t think Nugent ever did anything worthy of mention. :)

Dunno, some folks do their best work as they get older. Brahms for example. And obvioulsy Sir Paul has done amazing things post that insect group. :)

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 26 2006,14:29)
Personally I don’t think Nugent ever did anything worthy of mention. :)

? Que ?
He was The King of feedback. Check out Hibernation (and possibly The Great White Buffalo, I don’t recall) from Live! Gonzo :)

EDIT: Bah ! Strat people…

Ooohhh… Great White Buffalo… one of the Motor City Madmans BEST IMO!

I hear you Teryeah! My next guitar purchase is gonna be nice chunky hollw-body. I got a BAD jonesin’ for a Gretsch but I’m afraid I’ll have to set my sights a little lower. (read cheaper…)

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Now has any of these produced anything “GREAT” in the past 25 years? Not IMHO.

OK Jeremy - Buddy Holly was all washed up when he died.

For the record, Neil Young re-invents himself about every 10 years. One of his best records ever was Ragged Glory which came out in the early 90’s. One of the best Stones albums is Steel Wheels which also came out in the 90’s. I think you’re 25 years is wrong.
Quote (Guest @ Feb. 26 2006,19:53)
Now has any of these produced anything "GREAT" in the past 25 years? Not IMHO.

I can't agree with that statement! Many artists get better with age. Maybe some of your examples are not the best to use. But if you look at others like Pink Floyd, formed in the 60s...Some phenomenal work in the 80s! Deep Purple, formed in the 60s...... great albums like Perfect Strangers(80s) and Purpendicular(90s)! Jethro Tull, formed in the 60s aand released some great stuff in the 80s. Music is subjective and your definition of "Great" might not be the same as the next mans'.

Ian

Hmmm, seems Ted goes back to the Amboy Dukes, late 60’s early 70’s maybe? Journey To The Center Of your Mind or something like that. Nothing great eh, Bah!
Great White buffalo, Stranglehold, Dog Eat Dog.
Then he had that lil stint with #### Yankees in the 80’s.
Tons of acts got better with age. Some got worse.

Strat players, bah, humbug. :p

Neil Young and Steve Stills, Buffalo Springfield
David Crosby, The Byrds
Graham Nash, The Hollies

Then Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young more than 25 years of greatness.

Don Henley and Glenn Frye, The Eagles
Solo careers more than 25 years.

Joe Walsh, James Gang, Solo Career, The Eagles, more solo career.
More than 25 years of greatness.

Eric Clapton, can’t type all the greatness. But Yardbirds spawned 3 guitar gods with Beck and Page following Clapton.

The list of getting better with age is actually endless. True musicians are always trying to perfect their craft insted of resting on one hit LP from the past.

Can’t believe I’m up at this hour typing on the forum, but the coffees brewed and the day is started. Hope everyone has/had a great monday! :D

Quote (YazMiester @ Feb. 27 2006,03:13)
Strat players, bah, humbug. :p

:D

Growing up in a detroit suburb, we sort of got too much Ted, also too much Bob Seger. We used to crank up ted before hockey games. Then we'd go to whoever's house was empty of parents, with beer purchsed at "Sams Corner Grocery", and drink as fast as we could and play air guitar to Cat Scratch Fever...perhaps familiarity breeds contempt. :)

Quote (Diogenes @ Feb. 26 2006,20:46)
I got a BAD jonesin’ for a Gretsch but I’m afraid I’ll have to set my sights a little lower. (read cheaper…)

These are the most affordable full size Gretsches. If you shop around some you should be able to find these for pretty cool money. The brand new ones are getting rave reviews over at the Gretschpages. The pictures show single coil pups but they also had some Filtertron models at NAMM. I want one of these Dyna models myself to supplement my Filtertron one. And a baritone. And a… you get the picture :)

SWEET! Thanks teryeah. I’ll check those out. I have considered selling a kidney and getting a White Falcon… You never know when a spare kidney might come in handy though… Considering how people are always telling me I’m full of piss, I should probably keep it. :D

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Growing up in a detroit suburb, we sort of got too much Ted,

What band do you think I heard the most of growing up in Alabama? Lynyrd Skynyrd of course. Now when they come on the radio I hit the seek button… Unless the song is NOT Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama, Gimme Three Steps or Needle and Spoon. LS had a buttload of cool songs that never got much airplay… Those few though… UGH! After a billion and three listens… enough already!

D

PS The “new” Skynyrd? Eh… phooey. Besides, Rickey Medlocke is an ASS IMO…
Quote (YazMiester @ Feb. 27 2006,03:13)
Amboy Dukes

Great group. Way ahead of their time. Ted's best output.