Another one

Jet Harris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12790789

Yup:-(

I don’t think they had the same impact here in the states - the Shadows, I mean. They sure made a lot of music.

Quote: (TomS @ Mar. 21 2011, 9:57 AM)

I don't think they had the same impact here in the states.

Yeah, that's probably true.
Didn't make news here either (I almost missed it entirely) but I guess it made the news headlines in the UK.
Tony?

Yeah. Radio4 and 2 have both run meaty features on his life and work. Half a dozen or so #1’s in those heavy sales days was quite a thing.

why was he called jet?
the shads as my mum called them she loved them are still the only intrumental group or music i can listen to apart from enio moricones western themes…hank marvin is one of my top guitar players!

Quote:

why was he called jet?

Pre-music days. He was a fast runner.

The Shadows got lots of air play over here…
I never knew them by name…
It was just before my time that they were popular…
Cliff was a most popular front…
I remember listening to the Ventures and Bill Haley and the Comets around that time…
Just before Smoke-and-Drugs…
:)
:laugh:
Well…

Bill…

Quote: (phoo @ Mar. 21 2011, 1:34 AM)

Quote:

why was he called jet?

Pre-music days. He was a fast runner.

i always wondered if it was the name harris cos bob harris was always called bomber & jet harris was called jet.. i always reckoned
there was probly a jumbo harris out there

the ventures were not in the same class as the shadows i got there best of thinking i was going to get an american shadows & they were nothing no killer tunes & a weedy guitar sound
hank marvin got sounds that were just amazing like hendrix did

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/mar/18/jet-harris-obituary

He was born Terence Harris into a working class family in Kingsbury, north-west London in 1939. His prowess as a sprinter at Dudden Hill secondary modern school earned him the nickname Jet. Leaving school at 15, he went to work with his father as an apprentice welder making milk churns at the Dairy Supply Company in Park Royal.

Quote: (phoo @ Mar. 21 2011, 11:54 AM)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/mar/18/jet-harris-obituary

He was born Terence Harris into a working class family in Kingsbury, north-west London in 1939. His prowess as a sprinter at Dudden Hill secondary modern school earned him the nickname Jet. Leaving school at 15, he went to work with his father as an apprentice welder making milk churns at the Dairy Supply Company in Park Royal.

Thanks for that link phoo..
There ain't much that Jet Harris didn't have his fingers in over his days with us..
:agree:
:)

Bill..
Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Mar. 22 2011, 2:03 AM)

i always wondered if it was the name harris cos bob harris was always called bomber & jet harris was called jet.. i always reckoned

the ventures were not in the same class as the shadows i got there best of thinking i was going to get an american shadows & they were nothing no killer tunes & a weedy guitar sound

What about a Micro lite Harris, or a Propeller Harris or a Private jet Harris... oh wait..

As for guitar players, I've said this many times before, there have been many fine guitar players but only a few innovators. Hank, Jimi & Eddie took the guitar to places it hadn't been before. Sure there and many people who can out-hank Hank, and out-jimi Jimi, but those guys are just copying. We look back through 30 or 40 years of players and don't see what a contribution the innovators made 'cos everyone is doing it now.
Quote: (Mark A @ Mar. 21 2011, 2:32 PM)

Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Mar. 22 2011, 2:03 AM)

What about a Micro lite Harris, or a Propeller Harris or a Private jet Harris... oh wait..

As for guitar players, I've said this many times before, there have been many fine guitar players but only a few innovators.
Hank, Jimi & Eddie took the guitar to places it hadn't been before.
Sure there and many people who can out-hank Hank, and out-jimi Jimi, but those guys are just copying.
We look back through 30 or 40 years of players and don't see what a contribution the innovators made 'cos everyone is doing it now.

Spot on......Hank Marvin was a huge influence to the emerging guitar players from the 60s/70s in the UK. Blackmore, Townsend, Gilmour and Knopfler all freely admit to being inspired by him.

The Shadows put out some great stuff in the early days. They got a bit cheesy in the 80s but the legacy is still there. R.I.P Jet.