Any Asio4All on M-Audio delta users out there?

Having difficulty…

Hi all !

I’ve put Asio4All on my notebook (HP nx9010), and it made a HUGE difference in the performance of N-Track, so I wanted to see if it was going to be worth it for my home system as well.

It’s giving me a little grief .
In the A4A ctrl panel, I chose the 1010 as the device, and then went into the ‘subtrees’ to enable all eight inputs, and I’ve played with the ‘hardware buffer’ setting as well.
I open a project in N , and then when I hit play, it tells me that I have too many buffers and that the harddrive usage is going to be huge. Then it gives you the option to continue or cancel. If I choose to coninue, nothing happens, but the play button jumps right out again. I’ve played with buffer settings, but it makes no difference.

So here’s the questions:

10 Is it really worth it to use Asio4all on my 1010lt ?
20 If answer = yes goto 30 else goto 50
30 How do I set it up to work with N-Track ?
50 Print 'Thank you for taking the time to read/reply’
60 END

I was going to put in some silly comment about hoping that the answer is basic, but decided against it … groan

Thanks !

Wihan

Bump.

Sorry Wihan. :( I have neither the Delta card nor any need for the ASIO-4-All driver. Maybe somebody else has…

TG – bumping for Wihan

<!–QuoteBegin>

TG – bumping for Wihan

Thanks, Tim - luckilly you included that ‘for’ in that line …

:D :D :D

I’ll check it out here for a while still, and then move the question over to audiominds and the a4a forum.

I just think that we have more diverse users over here (and at AM) - somewhere someone will know …

Thanks for bumping (on my behalf)
:D

Wihan

Wihan…I use the 1010lt on n-track with ASIO drivers but I’m ignorant, what is ASIO4all ? Is that a different driver then what we get from m-audio?

Asio4all is a driver that ‘plugs into’ the kernel of the wdm driver that you use in w2k/XP (also certain w98se drivers).

Freeware, and becuase it is very streamlined programming, (the driver is about 30k big) it really speeds up your PC, and (more importantly) gives ASIO capabillity to a non-asio card.

On my notebook it made a tremendous difference.
There are people that also says that it works better than some cards’ native drivers.
That’s why I want to try, as my PC is struggling a little.

Wihan

Ok…so does it give any advantage when using a card like the 1010lt which does support ASIO?

Pardon me for butting in here fellas… I’m trying to understand this A4A thing better myself. IF a card already has native ASIO drivers, I don’t see how “wrapping” the WDM drivers so they function as ASIO can be an improvement? ASIO is supposedly more efficient than WDM/MME drivers and my own experiments have confirmed this, at least on my setup. Perhaps if a companies ASIO driver is poorly written BUT they have a good WDM driver “wrapping” them might show an improvement. I really don’t know??

TG

I’ve got a delta 66. I just use the M-Audio ASIO driver. But I wouldn’t say I push N with it. I actually use Acid more, because it’s more stable on my system.

I’d have to concur that I’m not sure I see why the A4A driver would work better than the driver designed for the card. Seems like A4A is designed for people that need ASIO but have a card (like soundblaster) that doesn’t natively support it. But I could be wrong.

Best,

KS

Hi there fellas !

Yes, you are right to ask - why use it if the device has got asio anyway ?

Tim, as I understand it, it doesn’t ‘wrap’ the WDM drivers, it only plugs into the kernel. If I understand correctly, then the drivers have two sides to it. The kernel that talks (hardwarewise) to the card, and the rest of it that your host app talk to.
So asio4all replaces the ‘talk to your app’ bit, and plugs itself directly into the kernel of the wdm drivers. On the a4a forum there are people that say if they use this driver with SBLive, they can even do 44.1 multitracking, as this driver does the conversion and stays in sync.
There’s also one guy that got a 30% reduction in CPU usage from changing to this from his native M-Audio 24/96 card’s asio drivers…
Its worth testing it for me.

Ok - I think my problem goes deeper than just ASIO4All.
I’ve been using WDM, and never bothered with ASIO.

I get the above mentioned error if I even choose the M-Audio’s own ASIO drivers.
I think its the PC. I have 256MB ram in a celery 1gHz.

I think ASIO needs himself a little more memory than that…

Any comments on that ?

If I get ASIO working, I can do a back to back ASIO4all test and let you guys know what the difference is (if any).
I’m off to get some memmory…

Thanks !

Wihan

Wihan,

Its been my experience so far, that XP (You running XP?) needs 512MB to run efficiently. We have some workstations at the plant with < 512 and some even 256 or less. Running even basic MS Office apps they are SLOOOOWWW. Always paging to the hard drive. Just dropping in a little more RAM improves their performance dramatically. I bet more memory will improve things for you.

TG

Your’e right.

Isn’t it then a miracle that I’ve been able to get 15 - 25 tracks recorded (and worked with) on my XP celery with only 256 MB ram ?

I tell ya, there isn’t a tweak that I don’t have on it …

Its stable as anything, but a tad slow.
Monday I’m getting some more RAM - should have done that a long time ago. Don’t know why I haven’t done that yet ? slaps forehead

You know, I’ve ben an IT professional for about 10 years now, and I always tell people two things:
1: Get more ram
2: Make regular backups

Does that mean that I listen to my own advice ?

Nooooooooo.

Silly me…

Wihan <- off to fire up the DVD Writer for some backups and to buy some more RAM…

Growing up, my dad was the TV/Radio repair guy for the whole area. OUR TV was always broken…

TG