Any good distortion plug-ins?

does anybody know any websites that have good distortion plug-in? thanks! or if you have any you might want to trade, I have some waves stuff I could trade.

www.voxengo.com has two dist freebies. Wether they’re any good or not depends on what you hope to achieve.

awesome, thank-you for those. i’ll let you know how they work :)

hmm, these aren’t very good, haha. anybody know where i can purchase the Boss plug-ins?

Whatever happened to the plugins that imitated the Boss FX pedals, the marshall, and a couple others? They were a set? I have them on my computer. I think I got them from audio minds before, but I don’t remember. I can’t get audiominds to come up right now. sigh does anyone remember what I am talking about? they are really good.

Quote (savingedmund @ Oct. 03 2004,21:12)
Whatever happened to the plugins that imitated the Boss FX pedals, the marshall, and a couple others? They were a set? I have them on my computer. I think I got them from audio minds before, but I don't remember. I can't get audiominds to come up right now. *sigh* does anyone remember what I am talking about? they are really good.

that's exactly what I would love right now.

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Yep the Guitarsuite plugins are pretty good.
I use them and the greenmachine/little greenmachine plugs. Both are good for different sounds.
Greenmachine and little green machine used to be free but I think they are out of beta and charging for them now…

Rich

mda has a lot of free stuff, including some distortion plug-ins. For bass distortion, I’ve used the multiband compressor with nice results. But beware! I think this particular effect was origially intended as a masterFX, as applications seems to crash whenever the plugin occur more than once in a song.

It’s hard to come up with useful suggestions as long as he won’t tell us what he trying to do…

V-Amp 2. Just “pluggin” yer guitar an’ away you go. You can distort at practically any frequency you like!!! When you compare prices of V-amp against, say, a one-task pedal, it is a real cost effective processor. And you don’t have to be plugged into n-track/computer etc. I do loads of practice with v-amp and headphones. You can also set it up on a send and receive channel on n-track if you want to record clean and then add effects.

DSound makes some very nice Boss modelled DX and VST plug ins called Stomp N Effects. They don’t make a claim to be modeled off the Boss pedals, but they sound like them I reckon. They are some of my favourite guitar plug ins

Could anyone enlighten me on the best way achieve the best sounds when usinig the distortion plug-ins???
Am I to record elect.guit. clean and add effects or record dist. and overlay the effects? I guess I could try both.

What has worked for you all?????

Thanx
Roman

I record the guitar dry (no fx pedals or anything.
I either plug straight into the HiZ input of my soundcard or sometimes go into a compressor first and then into the soundcard but it is a clean signal being recorded.

If you use LIVE mode you can hear the fx whilst you are tracking, otherwise you will just hear a lcean sound.
You can then add, change and move around the fx later during mixing.

If you have an amp or pre-amp that has a “straight through” (like the V-Amp Pro) then you can monitor a distorted signal off that and record the straight through signal (and also the effected signal on separate tracks if you wish…)

Recording a distorted tone and then placing the fx over the top might not sound too good (but then again maybe the sound you are after…) and would be limiting in what options you have afterwards.

Rich

I’m a fan of the Guitar Suite, I’ve had good results with that.

I’d be very interested in trying Izotope Trash and/or Native Instruments Guitar Rig someday.

Willy.

I’ve had some decent results with using a stombbox effect (like guitarsuite’s got) and then add rubytube after that to add some warmth.

If you use the JCM900 plugin, then you can just use it and tweak it without any other plugins after.

The best results might be to 'think like a guitar amp’

Get plugins to go in the sequence of what you should have done it in real life.

Stompbox Sim -> Something to sim preamp (like ruby tube maybe) -> Something to sim the powerstage -> and lastly (optional) a little bit of compression (very little) to sim the compression effect of a valve amp.
You can also add reverb somewhere between the pre and power stage to see what it does.

I think the JCM900 plugin does aal of the above in one foul swoop.

But I do enjoy rubytube to add warmth.

My .2

Wihan

mda has a cab sim (actually combo sim, but you can turn off the preamp sim). This will imitate the sound of a miced cab. If you are going for that sound, anyways.

Those Waves Renaissance ones are nice but you’ll pay for them.

I gotta ask: why not just plug your guitar into an amp? Mostly I don’t think the modeled stuff sounds like the real thing, although I’ve heard a few tracks where something like amp farm sounds really good. A good preamp matters a lot in that case, it seems to me. But real glowing tubes and real vibrations through real wooden cabinets generally sound more interesting to me. FWIW! :)