any sugestion for a good mixer

soundcard’s asking for more

Since I’m making music with a new soundcard (Emu instead of a simple on board soundcard) I’m getting a little bit worried when I listen to recorded music or/and voice :p it doesn’t fit anymore with each other. I can change lots of settings but I think the mixer (LEMrd82fx) ánd especially its effects are not good enough…I can hear that scaring good with the new soundcard…does anybody have sugesstions for a good mixer with good effects (don’t need much effects but just the standard like reverb). Don’t want to use plugins because my cpu can’t stand it… :)

Look at the Yamaha MG series? Those have a good rep. As does the Soundcraft “Spirit” series. I dunno if those have models with built-in FX though… I do think you would be better served by one of those rather than a cheapy Berry or Phonic though…

D

Another possibility is to use the software fx on a copy of the original wav file, but print the effect to the copy (say verb on a vox track). This won’t eat up the CPU cycles like running a bunch of software effects live with a limited processor. It would require a good sized hard drive large enough to handle the effects-printed copies plus the original untouched .wav files, but that is less a problem today with the multi gig drives many people already have.

Don’t like how the effected track “sits” in the mix? Delete it and make another copy of the original bass, vox, guitar whatever dry track and play around some more with printing the effect to the track.

I hope this idea is helpful.

Yamaha , Spirit/Soundcraft, and Mackie all make a quality mixer.

Screw mixer FX; software FX can be excellent, and you’ll not equal them with hardware unless you pay a lot of cash.

You’d be better investing in a faster CPU than dedicated hardware FX. :)

And like Tim and Bubba, I highly recommend the Soundcraft Spirit mixers.

Ali (proud and happy owner of a Soundcraft Spirit Folio F1-16 :)).

Im user of a Yamaha MG 10/2. I like it very much, it pres are very nice and clean. It have a FX version called "Yamaha MG 8/2" that includes some FX and its pretty much the same mixer and price. Like Ali said, in software you have all FX at good quality, but hardware ones can become handy under certain situation, and coming from yamaha, you can be sure, that at least, they are decent ones.

Quote (Tom Hicks @ Jan. 18 2006,17:15)
Another possibility is to use the software fx on a copy of the original wav file, but print the effect to the copy (say verb on a vox track).

I’m doing that already but I like to work fast so … :D
Quote (Ali_G @ Jan. 18 2006,17:31)
You'd be better investing in a faster CPU than dedicated hardware FX. :)

Anyone thanks for all advises!

Ali, investing in a faster cpu means buying a new computer I think or are there individual processors on the market? On the moment I've 2,4 ghz but I thought it's not the only important thing, I thought there are also more things important for the way the processor works. Because of this I was told better to buy a new one. ???

I’m also the proud owner of a Spirit Folio (you’re in Holland if I remember right ?) They are made in the UK as well, so it should be easy to get it locally with you.

www.soundcraft.co.uk

Yamaha and Mackie are also excellent (MG/FX)

Wihan

Btw - I have a Celeron 1 gHz with 256 MB ram (!), and (appart from that I want more memmory) I run projects of up to 25 tracks with effects on lots of 'em, and appart from loading slow (with the ammount of RAM being low) I find it quite workable.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m also the proud owner of a Spirit Folio (you’re in Holland if I remember right ?) They are made in the UK as well, so it should be easy to get it locally with you.

www.soundcraft.co.uk

They certainly are in the UK. In the town where I grew up actually. Down by the swimming pool IIRC… ahhhh nostalgia ain’t what it used to be…

I have a Spirit Folio SX mixer (see here) that I got for a song when we replaced the mixer at our church (with exactly the same model). It’s getting on for 10 years old and was only swapped out because a few of the connectors were starting to wear… but in my little studio it’s great. Loads of routing possibilities and other features. Great sound, and usefully it has direct outs - so I can route both the inputs and outputs to my soundcard through the mixer.

HTH

Mark

Oh, I forgot to add, I found their Customer Service very useful and friendly. I actually managed to speak to a proper techy (ie someone that fixes them) about my mixer and got “real” answers.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Loads of routing possibilities and other features. Great sound, and usefully it has direct outs - so I can route both the inputs and outputs to my soundcard through the mixer.

Mark, that is without a doubt very true about the Soundcraft range.

My one (the Spirit Folio Lite) has an amazing ammount of options and PFL vu meter settings and such for such a small mixer. The great thing about these mixers are what we’ve just found - they use the same type of technology and user interface through the range. We are looking at upgrading our church to a LX7 ii, and all the functions that mine has is implemented in exactly the same way in this one - 15 years later.

So you only have to get your head around the new features.

W.
Quote (Wihan Stemmet @ Jan. 19 2006,04:31)
Btw - I have a Celeron 1 gHz with 256 MB ram (!), and (appart from that I want more memmory) I run projects of up to 25 tracks with effects on lots of 'em, and appart from loading slow (with the ammount of RAM being low) I find it quite workable.

That's realy strange, my computer can't hardy playback anymore when I use an effect like reverb from ntr for example. When I have more than 10 tracks in a song even without any plugins, the playback is also "stuttering" sometimes. Very irritating, especially while during recording a new track in an exsisting song. But I'm almost sure it's because of the soundcard I'm using. Since the new soundcard my computer is slower. I already installed extra Ram (was 256 now, 512) that helped. But the computer can't stand plugins. Than it stutters. Because of the stuttering in playback it's also hard to select an effect and search for the right sound. I can make a mixdown of a track with an plugin reverb but it's not nice to do that over and over again...

Maria, it sounds like you have a problem somewhere.

I only have a 2G Celeron, but I can run NI Guitar Rig in real time with no audible latency, and simultaneously run n-track with FX.

1G of RAM would be better than 512M, but even so…

I’d be surprised if a new soundcard was causing your problem. Are you using Asio or what?

What other processes are running in the background?
You haven’t picked up some malware that’s hogging resources have you?

Google for a free little app called ‘Enditall’, it’s great for finding out what’s running and killing anything you don’t need.

Mark, Potters Bar innit for Soundcraft? I lived for a very short time in the flat above the Lloyd’s bank there! :D

Quote (Ali_G @ Jan. 19 2006,09:39)
I'd be surprised if a new soundcard was causing your problem. Are you using Asio or what?

What other processes are running in the background?
You haven't picked up some malware that's hogging resources have you?

Google for a free little app called 'Enditall',

Asio and nothing further on the background.....i trie enditall. Thanks! :)

Just read about enditall, but that won’t help. I 've got nothing running on the background…and i ran the defragmentation already…

Ok, just a wild thought Maria.

You say that your problems started when you replaced your onboard soundchip with a new soundcard yeah?

Have you tried disabling the onboard soundchip from within BIOS?

Quote (Ali_G @ Jan. 19 2006,10:59)
Have you tried disabling the onboard soundchip from within BIOS?

yep, just explained it to someone else on this forum :)

I also had similar problems as you do. Though extreme, I reformatted my drive, reinstalled windows and just the few applications I needed, and now can easily run 12 tracks with MANY effects, where before it would, as you say, stutter. BTW, I have a 1.7 ghz. 512 memory. If you have had your system for a while and have installed/reinstalled programs over the years, XP just gets clogged up (that’s a technical term :laugh: ) and you have to start over. It’s a major pain, however it will help.

Good luck