Anybody see the recommended mics...

in RECORDING magazine?

This one guy wrote a short blurb on “Must have Cheapo” mics for the recordist. There were a few I had seen and/or used before such as the venerable SM57 and Berry 8000 ref mic. A few I have never heard of.

Interesting stuff.

D

Nope, don’t get that rag. Would you mind posting the list? Betcha Studio Projects, Shiny Box, and maybe SE are on the list. I gotta get me one of those Shiny Box ribbon mics… someday.

EDIT: Doh… Shiny Box mics start at well over $100.

EV 635A
SM57
EV N/D 408/468
JAN M-43
Berry ECM8000

The JAN is an old 50’s/60’s era PA mic. The guy said he likes it for Harmonica and such cause it’s so nasty sounding.

D

EDIT: Just looked. They don’t have the article on their web site. “Rag” is right Bubba… The subscription was a gift from me olden mother in-law is the only reason I get it. Too many full page glossies and GLOWING reviews of said products. TapeOp rules IMO. Larry Crane and gang would stare the chief engineers for ANY company in the face and tell them the TRUTH about their product(s). Good or bad.

Did they say how they used the 635a mics? Or for what application? I use three of them here. I use them for just about any application… I describe them as a Medium -to- Large diaphagram dynamic mic… If you put a cheap wind sock over them you can yell into them till your throat gets soar… And they’re tough as nails…

Bill…

They might just be pushing the berry because of ad dollars. But the EV 635A is dead on, of course. And I would have included the EV 664 neighbor of the beast as well. :)

Actually, that little Berry is a good overhead mic. Omni-directional and razor flat response. A pair of 'em can be had for 100 bux or less. Just don’t drop 'em. :D

D

EDIT: The guy also says avoid the OLDER Berry ECM8000’s. They had some kind of noise problem that they licked in the newer models. As usual with Berry, it’s a knock-off of a reference/measurement mic made by someone else.

<!–QuoteBegin>

EV N/D 408/468

Hey, I picked one of those up for about $10au a little while ago. Used it this weekend actually.
Quote (Diogenes @ May 22 2006,21:50)
Actually, that little Berry is a good overhead mic. Omni-directional and razor flat response. A pair of 'em can be had for 100 bux or less. Just don't drop 'em. :D

D

EDIT: The guy also says avoid the OLDER Berry ECM8000's. They had some kind of noise problem that they licked in the newer models. As usual with Berry, it's a knock-off of a reference/measurement mic made by someone else.

Somebody here had a couple of them and took them in to the studio to compare them with similar mics. Was that Clava? Or Mark A? I can't remember...

Hi TomS:
It seems to me that Leonnard McDonald and I used three of those mics to record the St. Bernards Church Choir back in the fall of '03… IT was the last Tracking Project we did together…

We set the mics up in an “X” Pattern over the choir… and one for the guitar… Then we used an APEX 420 FET Dual diaphragm mic in a figure 8 pattern out in the room…

I used the APEX 420 mic to record a series of Impulse Samples of the Room on that Day… I use the Samples with my SIR VST Plug…

It’s too bad he’s not with us anymore. He was the greatest musician I know. We played all over eastern Canada, for well over 40 years…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Somebody here had a couple of them and took them in to the studio to compare them with similar mics. Was that Clava? Or Mark A? I can’t remember…

Nope. Not me.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Somebody here had a couple of them and took them in to the studio to compare them with similar mics. Was that Clava?

not me. I have a pair of Earthworks TC30K’s for the sort of stuff you might use a Berry ECM8000 for…

Speaking of Berrys, has anyone tried the C6’s? They’re a matched stereo pair of SDC’s recommended (by them) for use as OH’s. $60 for the pair.

Hmm. Who was it? The comparison involved a pair of berry and Earthworks, with predictable results. Maybe I read it somewhere else…

Quote (TomS @ May 23 2006,14:59)
Hmm. Who was it? The comparison involved a pair of berry and Earthworks, with predictable results. Maybe I read it somewhere else...

I vaguely remember something along that line... I can't remember where I seen it though... hmmm...

Anyway, I'd say predictable is right considering most EW mics are a grand or better each and the little Berry turds are bubblegum machine priced. Seriously, as OH's on a kit, they're not too bad. The cymbals are not as detailed or "silky" sounding as a mid to top-end mic. I only heard the pair one time and I was busy gawking at other stuff but hey... 100 bux? I've pissed away more than that on dinner and a movie.

D

True, quite true. Today (speaking of cheap and not exactly silky sounding) I recorded my drum kit with 2 radio shack boundry mics on the floor on either side - I was being really lazy and they were 20 bucks at a local RS that is closing. I also got one of those cool electronics kits with all the components that snap together for the kids. They are totally into it, and it really is a fine thing.

:D