Anybody seen Tom Hicks?

I hope he is on high ground in S. Texas

Tom amigo,

I am concerned about you with a Cat5 heading your way. Please check in and let us know you are alright. Same goes for any other n-Trackers that might be in harm’s way.

Don
aka Old Irish Cowboy

Hi Don:
I think he’s in the Huston area? am I thinking right? I’m shaking my head for those people… Don… ??? :(

Bill…

Im in Fort Worth, elevation about 800 feet above sea level. We still have many thousands of Katrina refugees here, one gal in my building. And now more are heading our way to prepare for Rita. South Texas is bracing for perhaps the strongest storm ever to hit the US mainland. Some may recall hearing about the hurricane that wiped out Galveston in 05 or whenever, killing numbers estimated from 7000-12000 people, so this has a special resonance for Texans.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts Don and Bill. We will get heavy rain here, but not the life threatening dangers of south Texas.

Hi Tom:
Thanks for writing in here… We are all feeling the antisipation of what’s before us, this weekend…

However you decide to do it… All you guys in the southern States will have a story to tell…

Run your topics and threads and keep us informed of what’s happening in your areas… Can you?

What happened way up here this morning is… There was a report of a Service station that set a pump price of 2.09 a litre… in Ontario… This morning… ( That’s 1200 miles -or-so from where I live )… Anyway… It has caused a RUN on fuel here… this morning… The Streets and Strips are lined with cars that are fuelling up at 1.11.9 a litre… At a price of 2.09 a litre… That’s 9.41 a gallon… Factor in an .85 cent dollar… We’re talking $10.08 a gallon… for energy, to run our cars…

People in Europe are already paying the price for this energy… So, we are not gonna get any sympathy for them… But we are a producing country, of energy and raw materials… We are being hurt cause we live north of the 45th paraellel… Well…

Cold-and-Snow…

We up here, in these parts are not expecting our governments to do us any favors, regarding taxes on nessessities… I myself, am walking everywhere I need to go… so… the car is an ornament in my drivway… I need the exercise… anyway… but I’m gonna get it weather I want-it-or-not…

We are all toying with the idea that we may loose our homes this winter trying to heat our belongings…

At least our homes wouldn’t be taken from us by bad weather… So far…

I guess I’m Ranting… this morning… I’m sorry…

Tom… and All… Let us know how you are as the weekend unfolds…

Bill…

The freeway out of Houston is one way north, still bumper to bumper and cars running out of gas from the clogged traffic. Rita is about 400 miles out at this point and closing.

Funny how names flit through our heads…

“Bill Hicks? He’s dead!” oh wait…

“Dan Hicks? He’s in California!” oh wait…

He’s a poster here. :D

Glad you’re safe.

I’m cool. I just gassed up the Ark.

I guess it’s safe to say … you people didn’t report to work, today… This ain’t a normal day at the office…

My report this afternoon is… The RUN on the fuel pumps is still going on… A radio news-cast said that the report of 2.09 a litre was hear-say… but you see what can happen if something like that gains creedence…

However… I topped up the tank… Cost me 11.00 even for the fill… at 1.11.9 per litre… I set the trip odometer the last time I fueled up… The reading today was 58 kms… That’s just short of 40 miles… 38.5 miles… to be exact… That’s 11.00 to go that far…

I can see… if you’re sittin on an inter-state Highway and not moveing. It can be frustrating…

It’s hard to assume where these people are headed… They’re all going north… But where will the End-of-the-Line be for a lot of these people?

Bill…

Glad to hear that you are okay, Tom!

It looks like Rita is settling down some but they say that is no time to let your guard down. Please take care of you and yours.

We are in “tornado alley” so we are getting warnings of potential “twisters” that likely will spawn off of the upper atmosphere disturbances caused by Rita. The land here is pretty low and flat so flooding is a real possibility too with the many inches of rain expected hit here.

Someone on the www.pgmusic.com forum did the math on the traffic jam in S. Texas. The math tended to prove that it is physically impossible to move the over a million people out of the area in 48 hours. Probablly more like 250,000. And that does not take into account the many cars that are running out of fuel and breaking down, stalling and overheating along the highway.

Don