anybody use one of these?

a motu 828 mkII ?

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?Product_ID=1350

does it replace a 24/96 recording soundcard? are there cheaper one’s out there just as good? do i need an outboard mixer with it? thx jw

The 828mkII is a 20 input/22output capable FireWire audio interface that can do up to 24/96 audio. It has a mixer onboard that is accessible via MOTU’s CueMix software console OR the front panel controls. I’m looking at one of these or M-Audio’s FireWire 18/14 for a portable rig. The MOTU has a solid rep and a few guys on the forum use them.

Did you go to MOTU’s Website and scope it out?

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Feb. 03 2005,11:03)
The 828mkII is a 20 input/22output capable FireWire audio interface that can do up to 24/96 audio. It has a mixer onboard that is accessible via MOTU's CueMix software console OR the front panel controls. I'm looking at one of these or M-Audio's FireWire 18/14 for a portable rig. The MOTU has a solid rep and a few guys on the forum use them.

Did you go to MOTU's Website and scope it out?

TG

nope, i didn't even know what a moto was. i just saw the name on a thread. thanks for the link.... :)

It’s a seriously pro piece of equipment. :)

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 03 2005,17:16)
It's a seriously pro piece of equipment. :)

yea but can i record straight into it and save what i did on my computer? thx jw
Quote (jwgeetar @ Feb. 03 2005,19:37)
Quote (TomS @ Feb. 03 2005,17:16)
It's a seriously pro piece of equipment. :)

yea but can i record straight into it and save what i did on my computer? thx jw

Yep. Mac or Windows drivers come with that unit. Like Tom said, it's a pro piece of gear.

Actually, you record TO your computer THROUGH it.

TG
do i need an outboard mixer with it

You'll need some sort of preamps if you want to use more than the two with mic inputs.
Quote (Willy @ Feb. 03 2005,21:04)
do i need an outboard mixer with it

You'll need some sort of preamps if you want to use more than the two with mic inputs.
actually, i just record guitar and vocals to get the feel of the tune. then overdubb, harmony vocals, lead guitar parts, percussion and conga's if needed.

BTW, that's my "accoustic unplugged " albums. i would love to do a full production like my BLUEWATER HIGHWAY CD. but alas, it's a money thang......

check out a sample from my album http://jwweir.com

till then,songwriting rasies the bar and it's very clear naked-ness's :p :D

There are a few listed at eBay…

Hey
I had one and they really sound great!!! I linked the behringer ada8000 to it through lightpipe and it gave me 16 tracks. The only reason I sold mine on ebay is because I opted for the Alesis hd24 and the alesis fireport. I wanted to mix some things in realtime, the old fashion way on the mixing desk using some outboard compressors. I also felt the alesis hard drive config was easier to transport than my whole tower.

Yes, it is a 24/96 “soundcard”. We usually use that word even if it’s not a “card”. As mentioned above, it has a flexible internal mixer, so you don’t need a mixer with it, but you might need the extra mike preamps if you’re recording multiple channels.

If you’re only recording one or two channels at a time, it’s way overkill.

You can get the non-mkII version (sometimes called “mkI”) on ebay for about $400 last I checked. That’s what I use. It doesn’t have the flexible internal mixer, but you still don’t need a mixer for simple setups. I use a mixer because it’s handy, not because it’s necessary. The mkI only goes up to 48kHz sample rate, but that’s fine for home recording purposes. Most of us use 44.1kHz rate. In most cases, you’d have to be a mighty good engineer (recording, mixing, etc.) before any difference between 44.1kHz and higher rates would matter.

Someone said it’s a 22-input device, which is true, but it only has 10 analog inputs: 2 mike preamps plus 8 line inputs. It also has 8 analog outputs, but we home recording folks usually don’t use more than 2. The rest of the inputs & outputs are digital; ADAT and/or S/PDIF.

Quote (jwgeetar @ Feb. 03 2005,23:53)
actually, i just record guitar and vocals to get the feel of the tune. then overdubb, harmony vocals, lead guitar parts, percussion and conga's if needed.

If you're only recording one or two tracks at a time and then overdubbing everything, you don't need all of those inputs. You may be better off with an Audiophile 2496 card ($150); it's what I use, and it suits my needs perfectly.

However, if you plan to record a real drumset or track an entire band all at the same time, then those extra inputs would be needed.

-John
:cool:
Quote (John @ Feb. 04 2005,09:36)
Quote (jwgeetar @ Feb. 03 2005,23:53)

If you're only recording one or two tracks at a time and then overdubbing everything, you don't need all of those inputs. You may be better off with an Audiophile 2496 card ($150); it's what I use, and it suits my needs perfectly.

-John

yup, thats what i have is a audiophile 24/96. just looking for an easier interface i guess. i have a berry mx 802a mixer running into the 24/96. can't seperate the tracks just yet with it... :(
Quote (jwgeetar @ Feb. 04 2005,13:00)
yup, thats what i have is a audiophile 24/96. just looking for an easier interface i guess. i have a berry mx 802a mixer running into the 24/96. can't seperate the tracks just yet with it... :(

Do you mean that you only have the ability to record *one* track at a time and not two seperate *mono* tracks at the same time? If that's the case, you're not doing something right!

I can plug in a mic and my guitar and record the guitar on one track and me singing (croaking) through the mic on another seperate track at the same time... This is what you're trying to do, yes?

-John

I’ll bet you have n-Track set to record one stereo track instead of two mono tracks…