Anyone done any session work?

Hi folks,

Has anyone done any session work?

I know every guitar player and his fuzz box would in line for this but I’m figuring, hey let’s give it a go. I could do with another stream of income and this might be it.

In some respects now I’m a “full-time musician” - ie I teach guitar, my street cred has probably gone up a few points.

And I guess I’m referring to proper, get it done, timescale, contract type stuff rather than the casual stuff of collabs.

I’m guessing, that with the 'net as it is, that geography is not such a problem any more.

So any websites or real world experience (good or bad; old or new) greatly received.

Cheers

Mark

I ain’t done any session work in so long, I don’t even know what they smoke anymore…

We had another weather day today, again…
We’ve had three weather days inside of two weeks…
Last Wednesday and Thursday and now today…
And now it don’t look good for early next week…
There’s weather blowing outta Northern Texas…
If it comes up the shore , we are In-for-It… :)

Anyway, I was looking for a rare photo I thought I had and couldn’t find it…
BUT…
and Lo-and-Behold I came up with a bunch of photos that I forgot I had…
July and August long weekend 1993 the Maritime Express Stage played in Lindsey, Ontario, at a Classic Reunion…
I need to get them scanned and uploaded to a Photo Page…

Long/Lost Memories…
:)

Bill…

Yup. Just go in prepared and listen. That’s it.

Be ready for everything from printed scores to Nashville numbers on napkins from ‘Joe-Bob’s Bar-n-Grill’…

I’ve not done any myself but I know a guy with a “pro” studio. He has some stories to tell. He’s a world class steel player so he has seen it all pretty much.

http://mikeheadrick.com/

My bud ‘blackmailed’ Mike into recording our CCM CD at his studio. When we got there to setup, there were sheets of paper all over the place with seemingly indecipherable hieroglyphs all over them. “Oh sorry… that was last nights session for insert country artist here …” Nashville dudes cut gazillions of demo’s at his place.

UJ

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Feb. 10 2011, 12:35 PM)

Be ready for everything from printed scores to Nashville numbers on napkins from 'Joe-Bob's Bar-n-Grill'...

I've not done any myself but I know a guy with a "pro" studio. He has some stories to tell. He's a world class steel player so he has seen it all pretty much.

http://mikeheadrick.com/

My bud 'blackmailed' Mike into recording our CCM CD at his studio. When we got there to setup, there were sheets of paper all over the place with seemingly indecipherable hieroglyphs all over them. "Oh sorry... that was last nights session for *insert country artist here* ..." Nashville dudes cut gazillions of demo's at his place.

UJ

Hi UJ:

Nice Link..
He has some nice stuff (demos) on his page..
I haven't gone through them all yet..
Is he near where you live?

Bill..
Quote: (woxnerw @ Feb. 10 2011, 2:24 PM)

Is he near where you live?

Bill..

Yep. About 30 miles up the road...

I believe ol' Mike was nominated for Instrumentalist of The Year by the CMA's or somebody similar one time for his steel playing... a LONG time ago. He can tear one up, that's for sure.

UJ

PS He's the guy that told me he was a 'reverse millionaire' ever since he opened his own studio business. His wife and her family are loaded though... so he ain't starvin' to death or playing with rusty geetar strangs... :laugh:

EDIT: Found this blurb on his website;

Quote:

Mike Headrick - Slanted

steelguitar - CD1009Slant

This was Mike's first CD, recorded in 2000. This CD won various awards in radio and independent country music, including "Instrumental Album Of The Year". It has a distinctive Texas flavor, while remaining strictly traditional country. It is all E9 tuning, as are all the other steel CDs Mike Produces. All the songs are original.

Great stuff…
If Leonard was with us yet he’d be on that page like a blanket…

In my mail this morning was a link to some Vern Gosdin stuff…
:agree:
:agree:

Bill…

[edit]
‘reverse millionaire’ :)