Anyone ever heard of this soundcard...

Hardware

I’m on the search for I/O, preferably 8x analogue, and I ran across this one:
Marian breakout-box

Any of you gear jet-setters know anything of this? It appears to be USB, but maybe that’s been brought up to speed? Y’ think?..

Hi Sloom:
That stuff looks pretty fastenating, to me. I’m not a Spec freek… But if I were, … the specs look pretty good, as well… If the "Driver Package does what it looks it’ll do, with no issues, they look O.K. as well…

It might be nice if the driver package would interact with '98SE … but that is mabey, a thing of the past…

Looking at the Signal-to-Noise Ratio spec.

If the A-D figure was in the order of 108-110 db… and… the D-to-A was in the order of 115-118 or 120 db range then you’d be looking at a Great set of Converters… I see they don’t talk much about the Converters in their specs… but there is where the cost of manufactuering this stuff, goes through-the-roof… In-my-opinion…

There is some stuff that is manufactuered in New York, somewhere, that grabbed my interest some time ago… But darnned… I am unable to find a link to the page, it was on… All the spec’s looked top-notched and all… Even the money… But I can’t find the page… :O ???

It was a while back… Someone up here posted a link to this stuff when Willy was in the Market for the Hardware he bought… But… the stuff he bought looks pretty good. also… as well…

Bill…

[EDIT]
I forgot…

If I was given an Option… I’d be looking at some PCI Card inter-connection “Stuff” as opposed to USB /FireWire and that sort of stuff… Or just graduate right into the TurnKey Market… RADAR… ??? :p Mabey, I’ll find out where I put all that money I had and forgot where I put IT… ???

I thought you just got the MOTU set up Sloom? IIRC, you should be able to hook an adat converter of some sort up to it if the input is there (I suspect it is). Some of the guys have good results with the berry ADA8000. Ask around, see what they think.

The best AD/DA specced unit at the moment seems to be the EMU 1820m, the best ratio of inputs to cost would be the Hercules 16/12 FW (which I have, haven’t done enough with it to get it fully sussed yet though with ntrack). I’m probably more a PCI type guy, but it all comes down to how it will work with your chipset (pci, firewire, USb even). USB2 is supposed to be up to speed ('cuse the pun) but it’s still pretty uncommon in serious interfaces (Edirol do two units, and marion do the other).

Willy.

it’s uncommon because although it’s theoretically 480 Mb/sec, it does it in bursts and is in reality, SLOWER than the 400 Mb/sec transfer rate of Firewire which does NOT use bursts. This is most likely why lots of people had problems with USB audio devices. This description seems to imply they’ve overcome that though.

Quote (Willy @ Jan. 29 2006,08:47)
I thought you just got the MOTU set up Sloom? IIRC, you should be able to hook an adat converter of some sort up to it if the input is there (I suspect it is). Some of the guys have good results with the berry ADA8000. Ask around, see what they think.

The best AD/DA specced unit at the moment seems to be the EMU 1820m, the best ratio of inputs to cost would be the Hercules 16/12 FW (which I have, haven’t done enough with it to get it fully sussed yet though with ntrack). I’m probably more a PCI type guy, but it all comes down to how it will work with your chipset (pci, firewire, USb even). USB2 is supposed to be up to speed ('cuse the pun) but it’s still pretty uncommon in serious interfaces (Edirol do two units, and marion do the other).

Willy.

I’ve been trying everything, and it seems it just ain’t happening. No software app will deliver sound through it. I’m still, painfully now, going through it. I’ll post a big, awful, happy message if I can get 'er up…!

Two things:

1) Sorry, but what is “IIRC”?
2) Do you mean I need (possibly) another device in addition to the MOTU breakout-box; or use the ADA8000 in lieu of the 1224 unit- just keeping the 324 card, assuming it has the input?

There are 3 Firewire jacks and a small DIN-looking 8-pin connector on the card itself. Only a single Firewire jack and AES-EBU I/O on the 1224, as well as the analogue.

The USB issue was why I went with another idea in the first place, but yeah, this Marian thing was intriguing. I’m now looking over at the Presonus Inspire interface. Tape Op says it’s a good piece. Ooookay…

Tech stuff kind of lets me down, so I’m now just setting this a bit more to the background. I’m using the Tascam 788, and hooking up the M-30 mixer to it when I start jamming downstairs. The 788 is a neat little mobile gadget- used it last night to record a poetry reading. Had a small Studiomaster 12/2 mixer in front, to power the B-3 mic and fatten up the signal a tad, before hitting the HD in the 788. So I’m not totally despondent, over here!

Anyhoo, thanks for the interest in my tiny crisis!

Ha-hah! The 1224 works on the surf-buggy, but not on the Music Machine. The surf PC has a PIII, I suppose that’s why. “Music Thing” has an AMD/VIA. It’s the 324 card…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Sorry, but what is “IIRC”?

If I Recall Correctly.

I thought there was additional I/O provided by ADAT inputs, but looking it up appears that there isn’t.

No biggie.

Looks like you might have to swap the motherboards over, or upgrade the Music Machine to an intel chipset.

Willy.

Maybe so. I’m wearing the subject out, at any rate. I got weary of posting the whole problem, and posted (evidently) inadequate information over at another forum and was summarily cussed-out for ‘wasting someone’s minute’.

Allright, I’m cool…

Anyway, I’m seriously looking at spending the $ on the 424 MOTU card. I got the 1224 working and the 324 recognized on this here internet surfer-buggy, (it’s a P III) and the sound of the thing is just beautiful. Through headphones. That makes it hard to just get rid of it.

Now I may just have to incur the wrath of my comp. tech, and make him switch me over to P4. But it’s allright, I’m pretty sure I can take 'im. :D

I have had a lot to learn.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Now I may just have to incur the wrath of my comp. tech, and make him switch me over to P4. But it’s allright, I’m pretty sure I can take 'im. :D

Pfft. You aren’t the first to get caught out with an incompatability. Some companies won’t even admit to MB-Soundcard problems.
Quote (Willy @ Jan. 29 2006,22:40)
Now I may just have to incur the wrath of my comp. tech, and make him switch me over to P4. But it's allright, I'm pretty sure I can take 'im. :D

Pfft. You aren't the first to get caught out with an incompatability. Some companies won't even admit to MB-Soundcard problems.
I belive that, after scanning around about this little MOTU problem. MOTU is offender enough for me, though. Very loose policy they have about courting the business of PC users, when PC compatibility is so very tenuous. And their tech help is pretty un-knowledgeable about how to deal with it, in that they have no ready solution for what I thought might be a common issue. But then PC's are a complex animal.

More shoulder shrugging going on in that shop than in a testing station on an electric chair assembly line. :D

I might try an older P4 board/chipset. Now I'm thinking about that. Which brings me to a new question:

Are all these newer builds of n-Track going to be useable on an older P4? Yeah- Wox uses a PIII, doesn't he?

Hi Sloom:
The computer I’m writing this reply on, is the DAW I use and call the Editing Machine. I perfer to not be in the studio most times to edit tracks. I don’t need to be in there to edit tracks… and I’m in a part of the house that I can watch and keep and eye on the goings-on in my neighbourhood…

So… this machine is an Intel P-111… It has an ASUS CUSL-2C mainboard that has a 512 meg ram stick installed …the processor is an Intel 1.2mhz…815 chipset with a 550 Antec v-2 power supply. The video card is an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro It has a StarTech 10/100 network card that connects to all the other computers I have in the studio… It also has a StarTech Promise-T card that I connect four other Hard Drives to the system…

I’m going down the PCI ports in order as I type the list.

The next card is a S/B 24-bit audio card…It’s very basic but it’s a card that I use from time-to-time as editing wave files determine it’s use. The next card is a Multi-Port USB revision 2.0 card that has 4 USB ports… The next card is a S/B 5.1 audio card. Nothing special…And the next card is an A-Open 56k modem card. That is how I connect to the internet…

The Front Panel of this Box has two 80 gig Hard Drives connected to the Primary IDE Port Then I have two LG DVD Burners connected to the Secondary IDE Port… Continueing down the front panel I have a Floppy Drive… Then connected to the Promise-T card I have Four hard drives connected to the Primary and secondary IDE Ports of that Card…

On the Paraellel Port I have an Iomega 100 meg. ZIP Drive as well as a Lexmark 3200 Printer… On the USB ports I have a a portable Heard drive that I can shuttle from Machine-to-Machine as it is needed… As well I have A multi-card readed/writer for my Camera and any other portable USB Pocket-Drives…

Eventually, I’d like to make this machine a Dual-Boot Machine with XP and '98SE as it’s Desks… Each Desk on it’s own Hard Drive One being the The Master Drive on the Primary IDE and the Slave on the Primary IDE Port…

I have the latest MicroSoft up-dates and .Net Framwork 1.1 and 2.0 versions… I have the latest version of AVG Free anti virus that I update on a daily basis…

I have n-Track build 2042 installed on this machine… I have a 19" CRT Monitor that has given me BIG TIME issues… I have switched it off with a 15" CRT Monitor… Hard on the eyes… when you get spoiled… :O :p

That finishes out all the hardware in this box…

I have XP Home as the Desk…

After all is said-and-done, I’d have to say that this machine is very well the the machine that I give the most abuse to… It’s not without it’s faults… But I have to work on Work-Arounds as issues arise… Then I complain up here on the Board and ask questions about how to FIX things when it don’t do what I want it to do…

I gotta go… That CBC Special is about to come on…

Bill…

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the profile! I’m just throwing everything I learn right now into the stew and setting it to simmer. I have this 1224 device sitting in a bookcase, and this is where I’m at: learning about how this music studio thing goes together between PC and the various hardware drivers.

I’m musing over whether I should sell this MOTU piece off and save up for an EMU, or keep it and switch the machine over to a P4 (an earlier one, for the sake of the MOTU 324 card)? If after the switch, the MOTU still doesn’t work, I might have a more generally compatible machine, anyway. Though there are people using VIA chipsets, and some of 'em are lurking nearby!

Anyway I’m just rambling my musings here- Thanks for running down your system for me, Bill- that is helpful. I’ll hopefully cure this thing shortly and leave everyone alone for a bit! :D

Hi Guys:
I’m not outta the Woods… by a long shot… with these old P-111’s… that I’m trying to stretch to the Limit… Somehow, I’ve grown fond of them… I think, at times, I can tell in advance, when when I’ve reached their limit when I’m doing an EDIT… I can feel it begin to “Rumble”… and I back-out of something I’m doing, just before it Screens me… :O :laugh: :p Well…

Bill…

P.S. I forgot to mention… I got out of the issue I had installing build 2042 on those '98SE Desks I have on those Dual Boot machines… I’m back up and running with build 2037… But, I haven’t done any tracking and editing yet with those desks…

Well, since we’re all using each other here as guinea pigs, that tells me something about where to steer in my search for interfacing functionality… I guess I should be looking to P4, for greater CPU, et al.

Hope you get your own situation satisfactory, dude.