anyone here clone?

wanna copy os to another hard drive

if anyone here does maybe they could turn me on to some software or tips,would appreciate it,thanks in advance.
i want to copy my os to another hd and put that in another machine,i hope. :D

Woz

I think that you’ll be better off plugging your new drive into the new computer, and do a regular windows install on it there. Remember that windows stores all kinds of information about the hardware in your computer. If you try to clone the OS and plug the cloned drive into the other computer, it is going to have totally incorrect information about the new machine’s hardware configuration. After windows is installed, then you can hook the drive to your old computer, and copy data files. For most software, you’ll need to install from scratch on the new computer too.

T

Too true Tspringer.

And I know that all my Native Instruments software has an Identity Number that it derives from the hardware, so just cloning the HD does not work.

I’ve cloned plenty of harddrives, but that’s usually to put a bigger drive back in the same machine. Plenty of free and not free utils out there.

WinXP is pretty good at coping with hardware changes but you will most likely have to re-activate the cloned copy. Of course what you are doing is illegal unless you have another licence for the 2nd copy of Windows. If you have then I don’t see why this wouldn’t work.

X

i dont have a second copy licence,never knew of sucha thing,i dont wanna do anything illegal of course(snickers,coughs) so i guess i go getta new copy huh?ok,thanks for all the inputs guys,:blues:

If you decide to try to clone the drive, watch out for two things. The new machine will not perform properly if one of the two machines has an AMD CPU and the other has an Intel CPU. If the motherboard is from a major manufacturer, then XP will have the mother board drivers that it will need to run. If this is not true, you may need a disk from the manufacturer that has the motherboard drivers on it. (Also can download the drivers if you do not have a physical disk).

T

Years ago I worked for a big multinational company and we decided to make one good (business PC) box and then clone it thousands of time to send out to our offices. Went fine at first.

Then the problems started. Weird stuff.

Turns out that Windows installs lots of very specific tweaks and drivers as it goes through an install.
If those drivers are incompatible, you get funky problems. LOTS of funky problems.
As ANY small hardware changes (even among revisions of motherboards, video and other cards) can cause incompatibilties with the Windows installed, the problems grew. Even sticking to the same brands didn’t help, because those companies revised their chipsets and needed drivers during the production process.

We went back to doing scripted full installs and all the weirdness went away.

…just my experience.

???

I’ll agree with Tim. Cloning is a great strategy for rebuilding a PC (same hardware), but it doesn’t work so well when different hardware is involved. There are advanced methods for creating an image that can be used with different hardware (SysPrep, which strips out hardware related info), but even that has limitations.

In my opinion:
- It’s OK to use cloning software if hardware is identical, or at least close.
- Trusting Windows to recognize new hardware when that hardware is quite different from what’s included in the clone image is risky at best.
- Cloning is better suited for creating a backup of your PC just after it’s been rebuilt.

I use Ghost to create a cloned image of my DAW everytime i rebuild it from scratch. I tend to use the image to revert my DAW back to defaults about twice a year or so. I build from scratch (and create a new clone image) when i’ve done major hardware upgrades.

hope this helps some…

tj