Anyone out there in n Land own a

Carvin guitar?

How’s the workmanship/quality? Anyone?

Hey there etaws. I’ve never owned a Carvin guitar, but have played a dozen or more. They make a great guitar from my experience. Most owners rave about 'em. I think Carvin has been making great products for a long time. Check 'em out.

I owned an acoustic electric 12 string and loved it. They make great stuff…their pups are sleepers. I put a couple of theirs in a Washburn Nuno and it is one of my best playing sounding guitars. I own a PRS ce 24 and it is close to that in sound.

Cheers
Cruiser

I’ve been to their Hollywood store to play their acoustics. Very nice, well made, good prices. Korean made, I think. Their sound approaches that of a Taylor more than a Martin. I was looking for that Martin sound, so I did not buy one. Had I been looking for that Taylor sound, I would have seriously considered the Carvin.

I own a Carvin Holdsworth “Fatboy”. It’s an awesome guitar. Fit and finish was just about perfect. My only gripe is that the pickup selector switch has a sloppy feel, although it works fine. Here’s a recent clip I recorded (trying out different mic positions) of the Fatboy:

http://www.ambientarts.com/uni/6g6test.mp3

Also, here’s a pic of the actual guitar:

Bill

Billv,
Before I read you’re post, your guitar was the model that I had temporarily decided on. Now, I’m definately going to buy it! I just sold my Ibanez Artest AM50 for $500. Now I need to sell my Washburn Woodstock acoustic/electric and I’ll have the dough. The only option I’ve decided on so far is the low-wide fretwires for an additional $15 (same as the old Gibsons). Would you mind telling me what body, neck and top wood you decided on, and also what finnish is that? God, it’s beautiful. Hope I sell my Woodstock soon. I’m going crazy without an electric. Thanks for yours and everyone’s input.

I have always wanted a DC400A. Has anybody tried that one?

It will be mine … Oh yes … It will be mine …

Quote (etaws @ April 20 2005,15:03)
Billv,
Before I read you're post, your guitar was the model that I had temporarily decided on. Now, I'm definately going to buy it! I just sold my Ibanez Artest AM50 for $500. Now I need to sell my Washburn Woodstock acoustic/electric and I'll have the dough. The only option I've decided on so far is the low-wide fretwires for an additional $15 (same as the old Gibsons). Would you mind telling me what body, neck and top wood you decided on, and also what finnish is that? God, it's beautiful. Hope I sell my Woodstock soon. I'm going crazy without an electric. Thanks for yours and everyone's input.

1. My Fatboy has the standard alder body / maple neck combination, with a quilted maple top (matching headstock), and clear gloss finish. It was one of the Carvin "in-stock" models.

2. If you really like low, wide frets, that's cool, but don't discount the tall jumbos that come standard. IMO, they are awesome to play, in that you can subtley bend and wiggle notes by varying finger pressure.

3. If you're interested, I have a shootout web page that I did when I bought the FB. It compares my trusty Ibanez, a H2T, and the Fatboy: http://www.ambientarts.com/carvin

Bill

I never played the DC400A. The “A” is for the Anniversary Series. I have played DC200’s and DC400’s as well as a beautiful sounding C780 acoustic. ALL of them were VERY professional pieces of gear. The electrics played like butter and sounded fantastic. The acoustic sounded great, very “Taylor-ish” as already noted. The acoustic model I played has to be one of the best playing acoustics I have ever laid hands on! I love Carvin gear!

TG

PS My main amp is a Carvin BelAire. All tube. All TONE!!