Anyone using a Control Surface?

Need to find one that works with n-Track

Does anyone have the Frontier AlphaTrack?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AlphaTrack/

or the TASCAM FW-1082

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FW1082/

I really want to find some type of mixing surface that works with n-Track…

at this moment in time i think you will find that N responds to potentiometers and sliders (which are linear pots) but not transport controls, some butons work on some controllers but not on others, N works from motorised faders but does not send the correct into back to the controller and can cause fader malfunction or complete lockup -

N accepts input from MIDI outs and also from USB units so it should accept any controller and is programmed to work with 2 early tascams but not (i believe) the latest -

transport controls work on SYSX coding, pots work on resistance, looked a few moments ago at build 2190 and can see no changes allowing N to accept sysx-

for all the advantages of having a controller, there ara a lot of limitations the main one is how many faders you want to control, if you never go beyond 8 tracks then any simple surface will do, but as you progress even 24 fader control will not be enough, i regularaly push 70-80 track songs, that would be 10x8 fader mackie’s or 4x24 fader tascams -

untill N accepts transport controls i would not bother, you could put your money to better use than having something sitting there and only having 50% of it you can use - N fader automation is now better than ever (build2190) easy to apply will do everything a surface will do for nothing -

its not about what the controller will do, but what will the software recognise, and its not just N, many DAWs do not respond to as many types of controller as you would expect -

Dr J

HELLO.

MY SURFACE OF CONTROL BEHRINGER BCR 2000 IS WORKING FINE WITH PLUGINS. AND FOR THE CONTROL OF THE N-TRACK (PLAY,RECORD,PAUSE,SCROLL,ZOOM) ONLY IF THE LIVE MODE IS OFF. IN LIVE MODE IS VERY SLOW, MY PC IS SEMPRON 3200, 750Mb RAM, DELTA 44, ATI RADEON 9200.

MY HARD DISC IS 40Gb (ONLY 2Gb FREE).

glad you got the little Berry to work -

i have a Behringer DDX3216 mixer, a Fostex multitrack hard disk recorder and a Roland SP606 (all with transport controls which output MIDI info from the transport controls) and none of the work ?.

i have an Edirol PCR M1 controller keyboard and i find that faders number 6 and 7 do not work correctly in N when controlled from this unit (fader 6 starts to work then it interacts with fader 7 and then both stop, all other faders OK) please confirm -

also ‘jog shuttle’ works from pot, timeline goes back and forth but audio does not play -

if you have the facility to read MTC you will also see that N seems to have stopped sending out the song pointer (position of timeline in song) if i wire N to the Behringer it shows N timeline position but if i stop and restart N the MTC starts again from 00.00.00. (song start) not present timeline position MTC should start from timeline position, i have 24 outs on my soundcard which i direct by optical links to the behringer, i used to be able to automate the faders on the mixer to coinside with the tracks playing back from N, but i cant get it to do it any more, as long as i dont have to stop/start N that OK, but untill N starts to send song pointer again i have to use the mouse to automate the faders in N not on mixer and it is easier to automate faders from the mixer than using the mouse - it may be a couple of years old now but the DDX3216 is an incredible piece of kit -

also as N does not remember control surface settings, when upgrading to new version i have to re-instate (re-load) the controllers settings everytime, N does not recognise the saved settings (saved through fader control panel) ? -

Dr J