AP invents "boos"...

but there’s no bias in the media.

Yet another glaring example of wildly inaccurate reporting - in this case outright fabrication. I heard the soundbite, in which you can VERY faintly hear a bit of a gasp, then read the original AP wire - and was flabbergasted. Now this… and the RESPONSE to getting nailed. Fascinating stuff.

Nope… there’s no bias in the media.

(If you don’t read anything else, at least check out the bold paragraph.)

Smear? Ha.

AP Reporter Invents Anti-Clinton “Boos” at WI Bush Rally

By Nicholas Stix for MND NEWSWIRE

On Friday afternoon, an Associated Press (AP) story reported that a crowd at a Bush rally in Wisconsin, responded to Pres. Bush’s news that former Pres. Clinton had been hospitalized with chest pains and faced bypass surgery, and Bush’s best wishes for Clinton’s speedy recovery, with boos. The AP, a wire service founded in 1848, describes itself as “the largest and oldest news organization in the world.”

Audience boos as Bush offers best wishes for Clinton’s recovery By Associated Press, 9/3/2004 13:57

WEST ALLIS, Wis. (AP) President Bush (news - web sites) on Friday wished Bill Clinton (news - web sites) “best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery.”

"He’s is in our thoughts and prayers, Bush said at a campaign rally.

Bush’s audience of thousands in West Allis, Wis., booed. Bush did nothing to stop them.

Bush offered his wishes while campaigning one day after accepting the presidential nomination at the Republican National Convention in New York. Clinton was hospitalized in New York after complaining of mild chest pain and shortness of breath.

Bush recently praised Clinton when the former president went to the White House for the unveiling of his official portrait. He lauded Clinton for his knowledge, compassion and “the forward-looking spirit that Americans like in a president.”

In fact, however, the crowd had responded with respectful applause.

The false story was immediately caught and reported to conservative talk radio shows and blogs. Less than one hour after the story first went out on the wire, under the byline of AP reporter Tom Hays, it was retracted, corrected, and the original link killed. The new title was “Bush offers best wishes for Clinton’s recovery.” No mention the changes was mentioned; however, the later version without the “boos” run by the New York Times-owned Boston Globe still carried the title “audience boos as bush offers best wishes for clintons recovery” in its URL ( http://www.boston.com/news/ politics/president/ bush/articles/2004/09/03/ audience_boos_as_bush_offers_ best_wishes_for_clintons_recovery?mode=PF ).

Some original versions of the story carried the reporter’s name, but at least one original version and all later versions were published without a byline. Blogger Jonathan V. Last of Galley Slaves, however, determined though a Lexis-Nexis search, that the AP reporter was Tom Hays.

Last came up with a 649-word version of the AP story, entitled “Bill Clinton hospitalized with chest pains, will face bypass surgery,” which included the booing, and which also credited “Associated Press writers Ron Fournier and Frank Eltman in New York, David Hammer in Little Rock, Arkansas, and Marc Humbert in Albany, New York …”

Last commented, “So the AP: (1) Puts out a story with falsified reporting; (2) Pulls the story; (3) Removes the faulty reporting; (4) Makes no note of its mistake; and then (5) Pulls the byline of the reporter who made the error. If you were going to impute bad faith to the folks at AP–and at this point that’s not unreasonable to do–you might suspect that they have pulled Tom Hays’s byline to protect him.”

At AP headquarters in New York, staffer Mark Kennedy, an entertainment writer, directed Men’s News Daily to the wire service’s corporate communications division, and added, “We’re also supposed to note that we, that we changed the [crowd] reaction from, to ‘oohs of surprise,’ apparently rather than ‘boos,’ if that makes any difference.”

By press time, AP corporate communications had not yet responded to MND’s telephone and e-mail requests for comment.

Pete, I wouldn’t say this points to an AP bias, but rather a degeneration in the media in general. Look a the whole NY Times scandal on completely made up stories. I think you could say there is a bias certainly by the person who wrote this story and certainly an AP unwillingness to fess up to a mistake of letting such things through. If the AP were putting things out like this repeatedly and without some effort to fix it even if half hearted, I would say bias. But to say there is a media bias specifically left is not correct from where I am watching on my mountain. Fox News is a perfect example. I find people are more and more gravitating to the news sources that tell them what they want to hear rather than what are true facts and that is troubling. I would consider the MND as in this “tell our customer base what they want to hear camp” as well. What is even worse are the folks that use non-news sources for their news. Rush, Franken, and the Daily Show are not news. Until I see (or think I see, you can never be sure) a total lack of bias completely, I will still have my baloney detector on at all times and encourage everyone to do the same. Just becuase it is written down and someone claims to be a reporter or authority does not make it true. I guess this boils down to you can’t trust the media, though I would not say it is becuase of a leaning in any one direction. It is kinda like a teepee, it leans all over the place. Now if we could just remove falliable human beings from the equation…

Right - I agree with Bubba. Alot of stuff you guys like to say is liberal media bias is just poor reporting IMO. But it serves the right’s purpose to call it media bias - gotta make the suburb middle class feel like victims.

You know, if the “mistakes” weren’t so decidedly and consistantly one-sided, I would agree with both of you. There are two distinct elements here - the reporting itself, and the editing of those reports. The consistancy, to my eye, is astonishing. And while you may think I’m a rabid Republican, that is far from the reality.

Fox News was and is a direct response to the ubiquitous media bias. Sure they are biased, and in the opposite direction. The market sure seems to be making a statement regarding this via the ratings.

Just imagine if there truly WAS an unbiased news network? It could go one of two ways… either it would squash ALL the competition, or EVERYBODY would hate it, because half of everything they reported would be slamming one “side” or the other.

But that whole idea of “sides” is absurd, too, as I’ve tried to say so many times before. George W. Bush is no conservative. He stands FAR to the left of JFK and the Democrats of that era and prior. Having a Republicrat congress and presidency has resulted in a spending spree that is simply frightening. I’m sorry, but the social programs they are implementing wholesale fly in the face of the notion that we have a conservative administration in power, let alone that they are “extremist” right wingers.

No… it is all reduced to the question of how FAST we want to continue sliding downhill. There are no choices available to reverse it. The idea that we have a two-party system in the U.S. is as absurd as the idea that we have a Free Press. The collectivist mindset is imbedded, and it is going to take a revolution to change that.

Except nobody cares enough anymore. We’re all too fat, happy and comfortable, apparently… and those who aren’t seem to think they are entitled to spoils, rather than opportunity.

Me? Cynical?

You bet your ass.

Right - I agree with Bubba.

Um, I don't think you do agree. I am saying that there is bias in both/all directions. So far as I can tell "Right wing hate mongers" are just conservatively biased folks in the media (just as hippie pinkos are the lefties). So think before start pulling the bias card and pointing at anyone. Specks and logs my friend, there is plenty of baloney and fault to find on all sides of the fence. Fo rinstance, the whole Mr. vs president thing. The lefties referred to CLinton as president Clinton when reporting his surgery, the righties Mr. Clinton. The lefties call Bush Mr. Bush, the righties President Bush. So who's biased? Just about everyone.

No - I do agree. I think there is some bias but not as much as the right-wingers claim. For sure, there’s bias on the right & lots of it IMO.

Fox News was and is a direct response to the ubiquitous media bias. Sure they are biased, and in the opposite direction. The market sure seems to be making a statement regarding this via the ratings.
I've had this argument with an old conservative friend of mine. But FOX is so balantly biased to the right that it's pathetic! Surely you can see that. I try to watch FOX on occasion but I just can't do it. O'Reilly is about the worst program I've ever seen.

The so-called left-wing bias had "calmed" down alot from the way it used to be - even my old conservative friend admits to that.

If FOX just presented the news w/ perhaps some political commentary on both sides, it would be OK but they don't.
I've had this argument with an old conservative friend of mine. But FOX is so balantly biased to the right that it's pathetic! Surely you can see that.
And I am sure there are Fox viewers who claim the same of CNN.

CNN is probably the most liberally biased but not the extent of FOX IMO.

The Boston Globe link does not work - sure this is for real?

Here’s the AP story: ooohs and not boos?

Bush Offers Best Wishes for Clinton

Fri Sep 3, 6:24 PM ET

WEST ALLIS, Wis. - President Bush (news - web sites) on Friday offered former President Bill Clinton (news - web sites), who faces heart bypass surgery, “best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery.”

AP Photo

“He is in our thoughts and prayers,” Bush said at a campaign rally in Wisconsin.

The crowd reacted with applause and with some “ooohs,” apparently surprised by the news that Clinton was ill.

Later, aboard Air Force One, Bush called Clinton to express his concern for his heart problems, according to presidential spokesman Scott McClellan.

The president told Clinton that he and the first lady were praying for him and wished him a “speedy recovery,” McClellan said.

Bush offered his wishes while campaigning one day after accepting the presidential nomination at the Republican National Convention in New York. Clinton was hospitalized in New York after complaining of mild chest pain and shortness of breath.

Bush recently praised Clinton when the former president went to the White House for the unveiling of his official portrait. He lauded Clinton for his knowledge, compassion and “the forward-looking spirit that Americans like in a president.”

Same on the FREEP:

Sep 3, 6:26 PM EDT

Bush Offers Best Wishes for Clinton

WEST ALLIS, Wis. (AP) – President Bush on Friday offered former President Bill Clinton, who faces heart bypass surgery, “best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery.”

“He is in our thoughts and prayers,” Bush said at a campaign rally in Wisconsin.

The crowd reacted with applause and with some “ooohs,” apparently surprised by the news that Clinton was ill.

Later, aboard Air Force One, Bush called Clinton to express his concern for his heart problems, according to presidential spokesman Scott McClellan.

The president told Clinton that he and the first lady were praying for him and wished him a “speedy recovery,” McClellan said.

Bush recently praised Clinton when the former president went to the White House for the unveiling of his official portrait. He lauded Clinton for his knowledge, compassion and "the forward-looking spirit that Americans like in a president."

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I think you’ve been had, Pete. :)

Pete probably got this from some right-wing publication he looks at regularly. I found an exact copy of what he cut/paste on one myself.

Man - I think there’s a real “vast left-wing” conspiracy going on the AP :angry:

Tom, I’ve not been had - you have. Read the original post.

<!–QuoteBegin>

The false story was immediately caught and reported to conservative talk radio shows and blogs. Less than one hour after the story first went out on the wire, under the byline of AP reporter Tom Hays, it was retracted, corrected, and the original link killed.
Pete probably got this from some right-wing publication he looks at regularly.

Yeah, Mike. You know that's my style. Just head off to the Nazis, ask them what I should be saying on the Fasoft forum, and obey.

Thanks.

And where’s the proof that the original story was false - I ask?

Surely it’s plausible that people boo’ed Clinton when Bush mentioned his name.

The PROOF is in the soundbite, which is still readily available. I’m not going to give you a link. You don’t give a shit anyway. You say it isn’t so, so I’m discredited. It’s so very easy, isn’t it? Like I said… your forum.

Interesting discovery - another you won’t care about, but I’ll mention it. The “original” memoes posted at CBSNews.com in PDF form that “shed new light” on Bush’s service recored… get this… are in a PROPORTIONAL FONT.

You don’t find that fascinating, do you?

I do.

'nuff said.

Quote (pete @ Sep. 09 2004,13:06)
Interesting discovery - another you won't care about, but I'll mention it. The "original" memoes posted at CBSNews.com in PDF form that "shed new light" on Bush's service recored... get this... are in a PROPORTIONAL FONT.

That was an early beta of Word for Windows.... :laugh: