Archiving .wav Files to HD

Managing Files

Sounds dumb at first- but I’ve got sessions from 2-trk tape laid out in the timeline, having gleaned individual tunes from a side of a cassette. I used the Save/Recall Selections window, mixed-down each selection from a master .wav file, renamed each tune, and laid it in the Timeline in it’s own track. Allright, now I have 2 organizational issues I need to pull together:

1) Just for my own organization’s sake, I’d like these tunes to now appear in their respective folders as a .wav file. They appear, at present, as a .pk file, in the company of a .dxp file (I think that’s correct). Anyway, they’re part of an n-Track .sng file, of course. I’d like these files to also appear independently of the n-Trak .sng file. How is this done? All other .wav files in my PC have a little “Windows Meda Player” symbol next to them, and are accessible from any location on the PC.
Funny, some files end up with the WMP symbol and others do not. Do files start getting assigned strictly to a .sng file once you name the project as a whole? If so, how do I “free” my files?

2) A curious thing is that when I exported a file from this n-Track session (while it was going down) into my editor (Cool Edit Pro 2), a window would pop up in CEP telling me about a problem with the file format, and to use the “Capabilities Function” to determine the file type (I don’t have command of this feature). I went back, Saved the session and closed n-Track,… then launched n-Track again, repeating the process with CEP. Now all was well- Cool Edit dealt with the .wav file. ‘Sup with that?

I have a few basic skills to get together( including the Cool Edit ‘Capabilities’ thing), I can see this much! I’m still pulling my organizing thing in, and there are time constraints… I’ve moaned about this before! I’m sorry. :O But, anybody got their *#@! together in this regard? :)

Thanks!

EDIT: One more! I renamed a wav file while it was in it’s track- this is after cutting up and laying out my tunes in the session- and after the renaming it came back with some of the wav not represented in it’s little rectangle (frame? block? you know…). No matter what I tried, I couldn’t get the little .wav picture back. The song still plays, for cryin’ out loud, but it unnerves me a bit to see it gone missing like that.
This is the kind of little thing that boogers me out…

do a search of your wav files (search : *.wav). when you find the one(s) you want you can copy them to any folder or directory you choose. as long as you are just copying, the original will remain where it is.

hth

cliff
:cool:

Very good, thanks g8. It’s sounds simple once you get away from it!

I solved it anyway, but this is shorter. Better. What’s the saying?.. “No pain… good!”. :D

I think the trick’ll be to not let this happen…

I know:
I grapple with this from time-to-time… I think I get around this by Right-clicking on the wave file and going down to “Open With”… At that time, you are given a choice as to what application you choose to “Open” the file… with…

Why that has happened is, at some point-in-time an application has been gonfig’d to control/group all the wav files to open and be controlld by some other app than the app that made the file…

Oh MAN… did I just say THAT? And what was IT I SAID>> anyway… ?

Bill…

W-What?! :laugh: I think I get it. So in other words, the “Open With” key is the… key. n-Track made the file, but-

…no, I don’t get it. Try again- work with me here!

I’ll try the right-click idea next time I’m in CEP and can’t access it. But the wierd part is, after something happens in my procedure, like saving, closing, opening again… then going back to CEP, it’ll play the file! I do not know what I did. I’ll pay more attention next time and see what I did.

I just would rather get on with what I’m trying to do with a piece of music than do research, but hey. I’ll have another run at it.

This happens to me from time to time also. I think that you might be recording or saving you song and peak (pk) files to a different folder that your .wav files.
What I do is create a folder for each song and then using the “move/rename song” command in the file menu to copy the files to the correct folder. Then you can delete the old files to save space if you want. After of course making sure that everything copied right.

or better still, make a new folder for each song before recording. Turn on the option in n-Track that asks for the name of the and you’ll end up with all the files for a song in one place and with sensible names too!.

Another trick I use a lot…

Click on “start”–>“run” and type “sendto” (sans quotes). This will open up the “sendto” folder on your PC. Copy the shortcuts to your favourite apps into the “sendto” folder and then you can right click any file and send it to your fave app. (Caveat: The application has to know what the file is - you can’t open a wav file in MS Word!).

I use various wav editors for different things and this is one way to get access to them easily.

Allday…, I’ve just the other night come to a system like this- pretty much just like you describe. After I’m good and sure all is well, I ‘wack’ all the work in the trail, saving the finished folder. This is good for my own work, especially if I don’t know what the end of the work is.

Mark, both good ideas- the first one I’m going to cop for a band that’s coming over to do a demo…

The other one’ll be good for other projects, like some of the stuff I’m doing with pre-recorded material. Jumping around from app to app, for different treatments.

Thank you very much, guys!

I’ve been working with computers for a long time, and have never heard of your ‘send to’ trick before. I’m going to cut your note out and paste it on the wall so I don’t forget it. It will be handy for lots of things.

Thanks.

Quote (woxnerw @ April 22 2006,21:01)

Why that has happened is, at some point-in-time an application has been gonfig’d to control/group all the wav files to open and be controlld by some other app than the app that made the file…

Bill…

I do get this. It would have either been Windows Media Player or Cool Edit, I think. Well truth is, I don’t remember.

But I get the idea. Seems to me the right-click-“Open With” thing worked. I did it once, but was looking for a way to avoid the whole thing in the first place. The fewer tools I have to carry in my belt, the better! Call me lazy…

Want the quickest, surest way to do something- with the fewest snags in the process? Ask a lazy man! He’ll get you through it and on to the fun part (the nap) sooner than anybody.

Not that I’m calling any of you guys lazy! :D

Note: Pardon my writing in this post! I haven’t been very explicit with my use of tense, it’s been a little confusing to read. I hate being ambiguous! But hey. Call me lazy… :;):

Hi sloom:
Right now all the .wav files on the drives that are on this P-111 1.2mhz. machine have been comendeered by this ATI AIW Pro 128 graphics card… Each .wav file in every folder that contains all the wave files that were created by n-Track have an icon created by this Graphics card… Before I had the “Capture” drivers for this card all the wave files had a WMP icon “On Them”…

I’m sure there is some way to remove the icons/Open AS… from the files… But I am unable to remember how to Do IT… But you’re right… It’s frustrating to create a .wav file by one application only to have IT open in another application… when you double-click… ON IT…

I’m in the process of downloading v4.2.1 build 2098… I’m keeping “Current”… :O :;):

Bill…

Whoah. Capture card, eh?

There is a ‘Root’ answer to all this, I am sure. In the end, the system has to make sense from some angle. But none of us have time, I’m quite sure, to stop everything and figure it out!

I’ve had different apps put an icon on my wav files, but it didn’t prevent me from using them before. My only issue has been how n-Track seems to “Hog” the files I create in it, and I think it’s especially after saving a song file- which includes those wav files.

I will from now on endeavor to save my created wav files separately to a folder I create, then save 'em to a CD or DVD-R. I would just like to get them to and fro as I please- that is the ticket, and I think that may have been answered here. I’ll post with results.

I don’t know what to say about your capture card capturing your wav files! There must be a way to put your wav’s in safe-keeping, out of reach of that dastardly video device!

Hi sloom:
I’m not overly concerned or upset that this is-or-has happened… If I open an .sng file in n-Track this is not preventing the .wav files from opening in the thimeline of n-Track… It just prevents me from opening just one or a number of .wav files that I choose from opening in n-Track… But what i find is… IT changes the way n-Track “Saves” or “Saves AS” the wave files after they are used and are rendered… And for that matter how the files are returned to their respective folders…

If I knew what I was talking/refering to… I’d like to suggest to Flavio to inact some method of requesting n-Track to config. a method/way of associating .wav files to n-Track… as a Short-Cut… and comindeering “On Request” and attacheing n-Track icons to .wav files… for “Exclusive Use”… If that is at all possible…

Is IT called file indexing?? As you can see… I suffer from “Terminal” terminolodgy…

Bill…

So- you can’t get files into n-Track, because they’ve been taken control of by another application? Yes- I get it- you can open an entire song, just not one or more indivdual files.

Wierd.

I believe that what is happening is that the “file associations” are being hijacked by various programs.

When you initialize media programs they usually ask if you want them to be your “default player” and may offer a choice of file types to associate with that program. Real Player was notorious for doing this without your consent, others may as well. It is a bid for dominance between the vendors of these programs so that they can direct you to their advertising and such. I believe that the actual associations are stored in the registry which will contain a file type and the name of the program it is associated with. There is probably more than one way to change the registry entries but regedit may work to change them globally. The trick is to get the format correct or use a utility that does this automatically. I believe you may be able to restore them to Windows Media Player by opening Media Player and selecting “Tools”>“options”>“file types” and then check the file type check box to restore it.

The way to avoid this is to watch out when programs ask if you want them to be your default media player. Just say no. If they do it wiothout asking send the vendor a nasty note and uninstall the program, you don’t want to deal with them.

Jim

Just another quick note. I believe that the file association issue only pertains to trying to open the file from Windows Explorer, My Computer, or a short-cut. Opening from within an application should only look at the file extension, not the description of the association. The problems you have opening the file from different programs are probably due to something else although the visibility of the extension may be a factor. If you tried to open an .npk file in CEP it wouldn’t know what to do with it.

You should also configure your file managers to always show the file extensions. Open Windows Explorer and select “Tools”>“folder options”>“View” and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”. There are several good reasons for this, including the fact that some virus makers simply add two extensions (such as filename.jpg.exe) and since Windows knows what .exe is you will see “filename.jpg” and think it is a picture when it is really an executable. If you read the file type descriptor you can see the ruse, but it is easy to overlook. Explicitly showing the extensions is generally a good thing.

Anyway as I was poking around on the dialog I noticed that you can set the associations in the file type tab of the same Windows Explorer folder options dialog. This may be an easy way if you wanted to make N-tracks or something else be your default player. Just scroll down to the file type (alphabetical, wave near the end) select “WAVE” then click “change” and select from the applicable programs. You can also change what occurs when you double-click using the “advanced” button.

Jim

Well this has turned into a relevant topic, it appears. And I’m learning some pretty valuable sh*t (edit)! This stuff is basic to being able to function with any set of programs that involves managing a library of files. Especially for the likes of us, who are switching builds, downloading VST’s and apps, installing soundcards and drivers…

It seems that if you want to do anything on any level of sophistication, you are entering the unsavory side of the tracks within your own computer. Like trying to raise a houseful of unruly monkeys.

But I’m having a good time! :)

I posted something that I believe has already been answered. But, just for thoroughness’ sake, it’s:

If I mix down a track in n-Track, it appears as a .wav file in a folder. Once I Save As…, the files I mix down no longer appear with the same icon (WMP), or in the same folder. In fact, they only appear with the project when I call the .sng, or project, into n-Track.

Why is this? Has this indeed been answered? I might have missed it…

Guys, guys, guys… There’s a lot of confusion in this thread which I’ll attempt to clear up but will probably add to.

Firstly…

The icon that appears on a file in Explorer
=================================

Jimbob has already explained this somewhat.

To help us as users, Windows provides us with the ability to “associate” a program with each of our file types so that when we double-click on those files, Windows knows what program to load the file into.

It’s pretty simplistic - it just looks at the file’s extension (the .wav, .doc bit) rather than looking “into” the file.

So we associate “.doc” files with Word so when we double click a “.doc”, Windows knows what program to open it in.

Same for .wav, .sng etc.

Windows give the file the icon for the application so as you know what program will start up.

As you’ve noticed, when you install certain programs, they “assume” that you want that program to be the one to use by default to open certain file types. Yes, a bit naughty perhaps but I’m sure it works for the common guy who just wants to open his pictures in the latest whizzy graphics app he bought…

This is made slightly more complicated by the fact that the default behaviour of Windows is to hide the file’s extension (.wav bit) so that all we see is the filename and the icon. Being a longstanding techie, the first thing I do is configure Windows to let me see the extensions.

What to do about all these “wrong” icons?

Well you can change this default behaviour (ie the file association) by SHIFT-Right-clicking the file, selecting “Open With”, choosing the program you want, and then ticking the box that says “always use this program”. Job done.

If you want to use multiple programs with your files, use the “sendto” trick I posted above.

Regardless of the associated program, (“icon”), of the file you still can open the file in the program of your choice by opening the application first and then opening the file from within the application.

Ok? Next…

How does n-Track treat files?
======================

There are basically three types of files that n-Track uses. Two are its own format (.sng and .npk) and the other is proprietary (.wav).

The great thing about n-Track is that it stores all the tracks that we record in standard wav files that can be opened in any (wav capable) application. The .sng file is the “glue” that holds all the other info about the song (effects, levels, envelopes etc), and the .npk files are just “helper” files that n-Track creates to hold the information about the wiggly lines it draws on the wavs.

The .npk files can be deleted so are not vital to a song… n-Track will just re-create them. So the vital parts of any n-Track project are 1) the sng file itself, and 2) all the wav files.

The most sensible way of working with n-Track is to create a folder for each song that you record and make sure that the .sng file and the .wavs all go in the same place. Easiest way to do this is to turn on the option to ask for the recorded wav file name. That way you can ensure that the files are stored where you want, with the names you want (eg LeadGuitar1.wav, LdVox3.wav etc)

So, any questions. No? Good. Take a break everyone.

HTH

Mark