ASIO-2 signal routing

Routing incoming signal to output

When M-Audio released new drivers for my Audiophile USB interface, they added support for ASIO-2 . In reading about ASIO-2, I ran across an article that said that ASIO-2 could route an incoming signal to an output, bypassing “the software” (which software? the driver? anything downstream from the driver?) and completely eliminating latency. It also said that the ‘hardware had to support this feature’. If this means that you could route an incoming signal to an output AND to your recording software, that would really be great. Or maybe I’m being over-optimistic… Anyhow, I don’t see anything on my driver control panel about signal routing, so maybe it isn’t even supported by my hardware. Anybody got any experience with this?

<!–QuoteBegin>

route an incoming signal to an output AND to your recording software, that would really be great

yep, that’s what it does. I have an audigy 2ZS and using asio2 drivers, the input can be routed directly to the output bypassing everything, so monitoring has zero latency. At the same time the signal can be recorded.

Quote (maaszy @ April 29 2006,19:09)
<!–QuoteBegin>
route an incoming signal to an output AND to your recording software, that would really be great

yep, that’s what it does. I have an audigy 2ZS and using asio2 drivers, the input can be routed directly to the output bypassing everything, so monitoring has zero latency. At the same time the signal can be recorded.

So maaszy, where do you set up the signal routing? Is there something on the control panel of your driver, or is it transparent? I mean, does n-track make use of it automatically with no actions taken by you other than to select ‘live’?