ASIO vs MME?

what’s the difference?

my Multiface has both. which should I use?

MME is the old Windows driver model for running games and the like. ASIO was invented by Steinberg to be a very efficient driver made specifically for music production. There is no difference in the resultant sound from either driver and you can use whatever works, but ASIO tends to have lower latencies which may or may not matter to you.

really confused here… can asio be donwnloaded?

peace…

look at Asio4All

HTH
DSP

thanks dunc!

peace…

by the way can anyone give me a detail about asio? really am a newbie here… just downloaded one thanks to dunc!

peace…

tbh, I use the standard windows drivers on my laptop. I have ASIO4ALL installed, but it won’t change from 48000kHz, and my onboard s/card is 44100 only… I think it copes, but I just prefer to use the native drivers…(don’t fix what isn’t broken…)

so, sorry can’t help too much; but from what I understand, it should be a case of install and go. Select it from the list of drivers that NTrack allows and you should be going!

HTH
DSP

thanks man! just posted maybe others have an idea. But hey you opened my mind to a new thing thanks man!

peace…

You don’t really need to know much about it, other than how to pick it (in Preferences -> Audio Devices).

If you don’t need low-latency, Asio4All is probably not worth bothering with (even though it’s pretty low hassle). You know, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. But if your DAW isn’t running nice and stable, or if you need low-latency, then it’s worth trying. If your soundcard supports ASIO out of the box, then you should try that first. MME is less likely to be carefully debugged; fewer folks would use it.

Another driver option is WDM, which is more like ASIO in that you can get low latency with it. You may find you have WDM without having to install anything. To get low latency with WDM, you use “Preferences -> Buffering”, and pick “low” or “very low”. By default, you get reasonably low latency with ASIO, and you can tune it using the ASIO control panel (either from Windows Start -> Programs, Wuschell’s Asio4All, or via the hammer below the meters).

Usually, you only need low latency if you’re using “LIVE” mode. In that case, latency is the delay between when you play a note and when you hear it (after being processed by the track’s FX, or from a plugin instrument). So, to play a plugin like Amplitube or Guitar Rig, or hear n-Track reverb on your vocals, or to play a plugin synth, you need low latency. Otherwise, you don’t really need it.

There is one other advantage to low latency. When you move a control, the change happens immediately rather than after a delay. And that’s a nice feature.

However, the lower latency you try to get, the more subject you are to problems in your DAW setup, which can cause dropouts that sound like clicks or burps when you record or play back.

Duncan, have you tried reinstalling Asio4All (maybe with an update)?

I can use either 44.1k or 48k with it on my system.

i dont really use the live button much so i think i can live w/o it. Thanks for the both of you for reminding me abou the if it aint broke don’t fix it thing, i just got excited about this asio thing:D
best forum ever!!!

peace…