ASIO4all and buffering settings

confusing as it works with WDM drivers…

Ok, if I use a sound card’s own ASIO driver, I can forget all the buffering recording/playback settings in N track as they are ignored, and buffering is controlled solely from the soundcard’s ASIO control panel, right?

Well I’m trying out ASIO4all as I couldn’t get my card’s ASIO drivers to work with my setup, and on a quick test it all seems to work OK. However, I am confused about where to tweak the overall buffering when I am using ASIO4all. Obviously through the ASIOall control panel, BUT:

-as ASIO4all says it works with my card’s WDM drivers, does this mean that the N track buffering settings still have an effect?

-also check this out from the ASIO4all manual:
"with Envy24-based PCI-sound cards, there may be an option in your sound card control panel that reads ‘DMA Buffer Transfer Latency’ (Seen with Terratec products) or similar. You should set this to the lowest possible value, e.g. 1ms for best results"

So as I have a Terratec card with an option to set the DMA buffering, looks like this affects the performance of ASIO4all as well?

-If I am trying out different settings in the ASIO4all control panel, can I do this whilst N track is open, or do I have to close it down to change the driver settings each time, then re-launch?

-Finally, lots of people seem to say “I can get 10ms (or whatever) latency using ASIO4all…” but how do you know? The ASIO4all buffer size is set as a number of samples on that slider and is not displayed in msec. Does n Track display actual latency somewhere that I have missed?

ta folks.

WIn98SE
Athlon 1.8
512MBRam
N track 3.3 build 1512
Terratec DMX6fire soundcard

<!–QuoteBegin>

as ASIO4all says it works with my card’s WDM drivers, does this mean that the N track buffering settings still have an effect?

Yes it will, but in the way that normal asio drivers interact with N.

To set the buffering, you should fire up the control panel through your host app, and not through the ‘start menu’ icon. That is offline settings.

Asio4All isn’t activated unless some host app fires it up. It also gets controled from that host app.

To get to it you click on the hammer in the recording VU meter, and then click the ASIO control panel …

Your question about the DMA ? Don’t know. You have to play with it.

Asio4All’s panel doesn’t show latency, but N-Tracks’ does.
Start off with setting N-tack’s buffering, and then match the Asio4all’s control panel to that.

In short - play around and see what works…

HtH

Wihan

Edit : I would be interested to find out how it works for you. - please keep us updated

<!–QuoteBegin>

<!–QuoteBegin>
as ASIO4all says it works with my card’s WDM drivers, does this mean that the N track buffering settings still have an effect?

Yes it will, but in the way that normal asio drivers interact with N.

Now I’m confused - I thought with ASIO drivers the N-track buffering settings were redundant - thats what’s been said here before… ???

<!–QuoteBegin>

Where? I’ve missed this.

Take your point about launching the ASIO applet from within N, I wasn’t doing that.

thanks.

I might be missing something (it happens all the time) :D

But this is what I got from N-Track help :

<!–QuoteBegin>

When using Asio drivers, the buffers size and numbers are dictated by the Asio driver, so the program will complain if the settings are different from those requested by the driver.

That tells me that setting them in buffering will have an effect (otherwise it wouldn’t complain about it)
I don’t understand enough about it to be an authority however. :(

<!–QuoteBegin>

Oops - sorry about that - I was looking at the buffering setting and saw latencies there. Its still not totally clear what they mean, but it doesn’t explicitly say ‘how low you can go’ - maybe someone can help with this …

I am sure about setting the A4all setting through N-Track’s little hammer tho’ :p

Good luck (and please let us know what you find)

Wihan <-------wishing he knew more…

First, when adjusting latency, just adjust from ASIO control panel. I do this all the time without adjusting n-Track’s buffering settings – they don’t have to “match” or anything.

Second, it’s a misconception that ALL the buffering settings in n-Track are overridden by the driver. Some buffering settings have nothing to do with the driver. But those don’t affect latency, so we can generally just use the defaults and ignore them.

If your soundcard’s WDM control panel has buffer setting adjustments, then do as suggested by Asio4All. Mine don’t, so I can’t help you there. But keep in mind that those are soundcard control panel things, not n-Track settings.

I don’t think you can get to a WDM control panel directly from n-Track, with the possible exception of “View soundcard’s mixer”, and then only if you’ve set it in Paths to point to your soundcard’s control panel. (In which case you’d know about the control panel, at least, where it’s kept.)

As far as keeping N open, you’re on your own. You’re less likely to get crashes or meaningless results (e.g., you think you tried something but it didn’t “take” because N needed to be restarted for it to work, but you assumed it was a valid test.) So, it’s safest and in the long run probably easiest to shut N down. However, if there’s a parameter you can adjust and you know what the results will be, you can try it with N up and see if it makes the expected difference. If it does, it’s probably OK and definitely quicker to keep N up while tweaking.

From the A4A manual :
<!–QuoteBegin>

Changes made in the off-line control panel will have an effect only after you restart the audio application.
Settings made in the off-line control panel, however, will have no effect at all for applications that have
been configured with the ASIO4ALL (on-line) control panel launched from inside the audio options dialog
of the application.

Wihan