At last - n-Track 5...

BSOD beat me to it… :o(

Well, I’m just whining now, but yesterday I got the codes for v.5, which I have been hesitating to install until recently.

Looking forward to start using it, I booted up my DAW - and, alas, the dreaded Blue Screen OF Death stared me in the face. It said something like REGISTRY_ERROR - error 51. Have any of you n-Trackers out there ever seen this - and maybe found a cure?!? I had n-Track downloaded on a CF-card, and didn’t even get to put it into the slot in the DAW, so n-Track is not the culprit here.

Safe Mode - no success.

Repair with original Win XP Pro CD - no success.

Didn’t have a rescue disk - sadly. (that’ll teach me to make one!! - I wonder, will it work in a machine without a floppy drive…?)

Tested all the hardware (some sites I surfed around on for info suggested it was a hardware related issue) - everything was fine, it said.

Booted a Knoppix CD - well-known to flag it with any hardware problem present - perfect boot, everything worked like a charm.

I have to conclude: My XP has failed on me for some peculiar reason, and I better reinstall. Maybe I have to go and get another hard drive, in case it is decripit. I’ll probably spend the better part of the weekend backing up, locating, reinstalling, optimising and testing… - and I was looking forward to getting some proper music done… :(

regards, Nils

Hi Nils K:
That’s tough…

You’d think I knew something about computers? NO…

If it were me I’d remove everything connected to the main board except the boot drive a stick of ram and the graphics card… Then go into the BIOS and shut everything in there off… Except what’s related to some minimal amount of resources…

What a shame… There has to be a way to boot to the desk that’s on the drive… I’m offering words of encouragement…

Could there have been some recent sign that you overlooked saying this was going to happen?

I don’t know how I would react if it happened to me…

Bill…

I have been able to boot up in Knoppix Linux (runs from CD) and everything in there worked like a charm…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Could there have been some recent sign that you overlooked saying this was going to happen?

It has been running a little hot on me lately, but I haven’t been able to figure out why. A couple of days ago I put a domestic fan running at full blast next to the cabinet in order to cool it, but to no avail… I am considering adding some alternate cooling, but the cabinet space is severely restricted. I have been reaching CPU temperatures of up to 62°C, and cabinet temperatures in excess of 40°C, but I can’t for the life of me think of a really good cooling solution that will be adequate, silent, and fit inside the cabinet. At the moment I am considering a heatpipe equipped cooling fan, but I think I have to sort out the troubles with the machine first…

regards, Nils

Hi Agai:
I only ever had one “Hot Box Machine”. It was a P-11 Intel machine… The power supply was too light for all the hardware I had in it… Un-Be-knowing to me the power supply fan seized up and overheated the power supply. The computer never worked right after that… I moved on and into P-111’s and P-4’s… Eventually and over time those hard drives began spinning up very slow, at boot-time and all of them failed… After I got past that and… I knock-on-wood… I haven’t had any failures…

Over time… Heat can bring most electronics to it’s knees…

I hope you put your finger on the problem and recover from this…

Bill…

Is this the error?

How to troubleshoot a “STOP 0x00000051 REGISTRY ERROR” error message
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282501

That article is for Win2K phoo. Nils is running XP Pro. Could be a similar issue I guess?

D

Yes, it could be exactly the same thing. There are posts out there for the same issue dating back to WinNT days and also include some Dell machine specific posts about machines that have this issue. That’s a pretty generic error when the registry gets corrupted. I saw posts for NT to Win2003 Server. It’s not gone in WinXp.

Hi Nils K:
I hope you reply to the thread to post your findings and resolve. Could something like this happen to any one of us? Is this error code a standard fix-and-repair if this is repairable at all? Or is this failure machine dependant?

Is the registry on these machines backed up on a daily basis, by default? If so, could booting up with a Linux CD Boot access the drive’s folder that has the registry file on it? The if that’s the case could not the registry be replaced and then could the machine then be booted from the C Drive, again?

I ask this question to see what options might be available to Nils K to get his machine back-up-and-running…

Bill…

My DAW is functioning again - PHEW…! For a while was afraid it had snuffed it…

Luckily it turned out to be “just” a corrupted registry, and not a hardware error. I made a backup by putting the hard disk in my other machine, then I wiped the partition by formatting it (and keeping its size), and reinstalled Windows XP Pro. I have optimised and tested the machine and installed the drivers, and now I am just preparing to reinstall all the music apps that I use - including n-Track 5.x! :D

I took the opportunity to add another hard drive while I had the bonnet open, and I also tried to install a more efficient CPU cooler. The latter attempt failed due to a space limitation in the cabinet (a tiny Antec ARIA - just two millimeters more space and it would have fitted in there - it just isn’t my day these days), so I am stuck with the old NorthQ fan I got with the machine. When I reapplied the fan to the CPU, however, I paid great attention to greasing it in properly so as to make a good thermal contact, and it probably paid off, because after running some stress tests (I use some obscure 3D graphics demo prog to do that) I saw that the machine, when properly ventilated, stayed below 36°C on the motherboard and about 54°C on the CPU. I could raise the CPU temperature to 60° by clogging the cabinet holes, so I guess I just have to find a forced, silent way to cool the DAW. (I have ruled out the possibility for external liquid cooling - that would be overkill in my case.)

About a year ago my “internet” PC bit the dust. The power supply went just like that one fine day. Unfortunately, The machine was a designer job, and thus no part except for the hard disk were salvageable. The OEM Win XP even lost its value at the same time because of M$’ impression of what constitutes a “new” PC (i.e. the operating system comes - and goes - with that particular hardware), so I was devastated when the DAW went blue. Now I just have to reinstall every application I want to use.

BTW, thank you for your suggestions and encouragement, everybody. I’ll post some more music soon…

regards, Nils

Hi Nils K:
Thanks for coming back and posting your findings and resolve… You showed a steady hand on the tiller and you sound alright that you got this computer back up and running… However, I think you got lots of hard work ahead of you, yet, to get everything working the way you want it to…

Good for you…

For anyone who doesn’t know, I’m a Kjaerhus MPL-1 PRO Limiter owner… I received mail earlier in the week that a new version was available for download. That was on the 19th… I had some issues downloading and registering the new version… But and after that I began playing with it’s features… Then I found that it was misbehaving and crashing n-Track… I sent off a few .dmp files to Flavio and mailed off to Kjearhus what I was having issues with and Lo-and-Behold a new build/version was posted on the 21st… After downloading the new version the Limiter appears to be residing in the VST Folder and working without issues now… I returned mail to Torben and Flavio regarding their behaviour… I have yet to hear from them… I expect to hear from them maybe, tomorrow or earlier in the week… And, if I don’t they appear to be working just fine, anyway… The issue appeared to be with the MPL-1 Pro SE Limiter, because the earlier version of the Limiter worked without issue…

These two guys are providing World Class Support for their software…

Bill…