Atari > pc midi conversion

When I’ve finished building a studio, hopefully in time for FAWMbruary, one of my first jobs is to rescue 15yrs of stuff from floppy disc world. I haven’t had the nuts or patience to even browse the subject for way to long. Any one know an easy? Guess I’m hoping for open s/w that allows me to stick Atari discs into a pc

Oh oh!? I’m getting that, “Let Me Google That For You” feelin’-)

Take them to a pro and have him or her do it.

Actually, send them to me, and I will have someone in our college ed-tech dept. do it.

OK, I’ve done this, but it was a long time ago so I may not remember correctly.

I used to use an ST as a midi file player but I edited the midi files on a PC. I’m pretty sure that an ST can read a disk formatted on a PC but not the other way round.

So assuming the disks you have are ST formatted it may be a case of loading each song into your sequencer on the ST and then swapping out the floppy for one formatted on the PC and re-saving.

One on the PC the midi files should be just fine.

Googling…

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9481

I was using Win 3.11 (poss Win 95 but I don’t think so)when I did this.

Thanks, Tom - it ain’t too tricky once you get stuck in.

Mark, cheers dude, you’re an angel;-) It’s becoming re-familiar (TOS). First, first, first job is to build one STe out of the three that I have. 2 X 1040’s and a MegaST (the Falcon was crap with midi). They each have bits missing, including psu’s, ram, cards, etc…but I reckon there’s a good machine in the funnel.

I am hoping I am not oversimplifying it, but if the data is midi files why not just play them out to a midi cable (using some sort of adapter I assume) and simply record the data onto a sequencer? ronimusic made some pretty neat programs back in the day that would intercept Midi data coming in a serial port on the PC and route it to any software or hardware of your choice (Yoke).

This is what I do with Midi files on my Palm Pilot that runs on the Palm OS using the RS232 standard.

MIDI OUT CABLE for Atari

there is also an RS232 standard set up for atari on that page.

dontcare