Audigy 4

Sample Rate

Hello folks,

I have previously been using a SB Live! i didn’t realize its native mode was to record at a sample rate of 48000. I do all my recording at 41000, and the Sb Live has been doing a real-time conversion, thus creating a lag issue that has boggled my mind for months.

Does the Audigy 4 do this same real time conversion?

As far as I know, all versions of the Audigy line still do the sample rate conversion. I recently had to replace an Audigy 2 ZS with an X-Fi to get rid of sample rate conversion problems when recording at 16/44. The X-Fi can be specifically set to run at 44.1k.

Yeah,

I noticed the lag problem was still horrendous when I installed my Audigy 4. However, I tried different sample rates and it was still a problem. Within in less than a minute of recording, the tracks get out of sync. The lag grows at a grossly exponential rate.

So, I’m wondering if there is something more at play here than just a rt conversion.

According to the n-Track manual:

The SoundBlaster Live! Has some sync problems when the sampling frequency used is different than 48000 Hz. This seems to happen because the Live! internally always uses this sampling frequency. When other frequencies are used the card performs a real-time sampling rate conversion which doesn’t perfectly preserve the timing and thus creates sync problems.

If you note no lag with 48k recording, but do at 44.1k, then it is probably related to the sample rate conversion. However, I used an SB Live for years at 16/44 with n-Track and noted no sync issues.

Here is what the n-Track manual says about sync. Perhaps it can help:

4.7. Sync & lag issues

With some soundcards new recordings don’t sound perfectly in sync with the previous tracks because of the inability of the soundcard to start the recording and the playback at the very same time. If you notice a sync problem in which recorded tracks sound constantly (i.e. with equal delay during the whole length of the recording) too early or too late with respect to existing tracks in the song you can use the compensation parameter in the Preferences/Wave devices/Advanced dialog box to compensate for the problem. Use a negative value if the new tracks sound delayed or a positive value if new tracks sound too early (the program will shift new tracks to the right by the amount specified, or if the compensation is negative the shift will be towards the left). The default value of 0 will work in almost all systems. Usually there’s no need to worry about the compensation settings, so read this only if you can hear a shift between the recorded tracks, If you experience sync problems try unchecking both the Preferences/Options/Use system timer for checkboxes, then set the Preferences/Recording settings/Hide lag indicator… parameter to 1. During a recording, notice the value that will appear near the “lag” writing on the time window on the program’s toolbar. If the lag value is constant throughout the duration of the recording it can be compensated with the compensation setting discussed above. If the lag value grows constantly during the recording the problem is most likely caused by the soundcard sampling frequency not being perfectly constant or by a difference in the soundcard’s recording and playback sampling frequencies. When this occurs the problem can’t be fixed using the compensation parameter and the program may not work properly so it may be necessary to change soundcard. Note: the lag values reported are based on the recording and playback position information reported to the program by the soundcard. This information may be incorrect so it may lead to think that sync problems exist while it’s just that the recording and/or playback times are being reported incorrectly. It’s very important to double check with your ears if the lag values reported make sense.

Use 48k rate with Audigy card.

Also make sure you’ve unchecked both boxes in n-Track “Preferences -> Options -> Use system timer for”.