Audio input/output problem

help…

hey guys,

I’m using an older version of Ntrack 5.1.1 build 2313 and I’m having problem with simutaneous playback and recording. Everything worked fine for a while, but then Ntrack suddenly started crashing when I tried to open any files. After uninstalling and re-installing, now no sound is coming out during playback, even though the meter shows there is output. If I open another program that plays back sound, and keep the program open while I open Ntrack, Ntrack can now playback sound fine, but the microphone input meter is completely dead.

so basically, I can either record, or I can playback, and I would need to re-open Ntrack everything I want to switch between recording or listening…

I’m running windows 7 on a MacBookPro, and using an USB SoundBlaster Live. I remember running into this same problem when I had a different laptop running WindowXP a long time ago… I don’t think I ever resolved it…

anybody got thoughts?

I don’t know how many of us have Windows 7 or a MAC. That may limit the amount of help. Were you using XP before? XP and Vista (and Windopws 7 I think) handle sound drivers differently than XP. If there is still a contol panel setting for Sound, check what the default sound card is set too. It sounds more like Windows has changed something. I guess you have already checked in the preferrences to se if that setting has changed. In NTrack, is the Keep sound driver open checked? It should probably be unchecked.
Does anyone know if version 5 is set up to work with Windows 7?

I was running XP on a normal PC laptop before and had the same problem. Window7 can run any XP applications, I did check the sound settings and can’t see anything wrong with it. where is the option “Keep sound driver open” you’re talking about? I can’t see to find it…

thanks

I just figured it out… there is an “exclusive” mode in Windows sound device setting that you have to enable for some reason in order for Ntrack to record and hear playback at the same time… not sure why that is the case, but I guess this is all black magic…

thanks