August to August

A new track by Brian Powell

Hey Everyone,

It’s nice to see you all… I’ve read some of the posts in the past few weeks… it’s nice to see familiar faces. I’ve written a new song called August to August - I hope you really like it! I’d REALLY like feedback, either constructive or just plain negative. I have some thoughts on the song even as I post it, but I want to hide my opinions of the song until I hear from other people. Thanks so much :)

August to August

freedom is mine today
away from the crashing sea
away from the crazy life
I’ll just lay down for while

watch the sky pass me by
and the clouds form visions in my mind
watch everybody change
but I never change do I now?

I’ve been obsessed with my life
and how to keep doing what’s right
I’ve been losing and winning and changing again

I’ve been obsessed with time
and how to keep you on my mind
I’m losing and winning and changing again

freedom is mine today
away from the crashing sea
away from the crazy life
I’ll just leave it all behind

watch the sky pass me by
and the clouds form visions in my mind
watch everybody change
but I’m still the same, am I now?

Brian Powell - August to August

For the technical part - I used N-track and Adobe Audition 2.0 to record. I used FL Studio 6 for the drums, piano, and strings. THe guitar and vocals are my own. :) The plugins I use are varied, but I use Ozone Izotope extensively for it’s awesome 4 band compressor and… wealth of other amazing aspects.

Brian

cool song brian,

the beginning reminded me of a “5 for fighting” song. I think it would be cool if the piano cleaned up throughout the song, maybe at the chorus part where your voice goes up. Same goes for the drums, they sound dirty now, and i like it, but it would be cool if they cleared up when the chorus came in .

I think i might learn this one on my acoustic guitar, throw it into the ol’ campfire lineup. thanks for some inspiration man.

This song is so beautiful… I agree with minn that something may need to change in the chorus just to set something differently from the verse… maybe increasing the cymbals and snare to represent the full spectrum of sound rather than just keeping them restricted to the 1k-3k range or whatever you’re doing?

Kara

The e-piano is a bit hot for my taste. Also, the tune is maybe a little too close to that Super Man tune that has been all over the place for the past years.

The vocal performance is 4 star, sounds very counting crows (u probably get that alot) I use fl studio for drums all the time and I was thinking you might get a better drum track in there. One more thing, I think the song could use a bridge to break from the revolving chord change that plays throughout.

You know… I’ve been thinking the same thing. Most of the people I’ve had listen to the song say that it’s “good,” but that it kinda gets old as well… I did use FL Studio for the drums, and the piano track is not an e-piano, it’s real - i just have some crazy effects on it. I do not use a ton of effects in my songs to begin with, but this sounded right for this song. Let me re-work it and see what I come up with.

I look forward to hearing the results of the rework, I hope you don’t go heavy on the vox production as I think the vocal as it is. is a real standout. I would’nt mind doing an online collab as I’m always looking to build my own production skills.

sounds good - what did you have in mind? I really like the ideas of opening the range during the chorus, and possibly including a bridge to… not make it so repetitive?

brian

Brian:
When you get an idea as to lyrics for the bridge, lemme know I’ll try messin around a bit with my guitar and see if I come up with anything you like. If that works out and we seem to be headed in a good direction with it, consider sending me a track(or tracks) of the song that excludes everything but guitar and vocal.
Gary

Nice song. I would pay some attention to the sound of the drums. Something is not quite right, and it detracts from the the rest of the recording. Drums from FL studio usually sound pretty good. I think that Karrabelle was on the right track talking about re-EQ-ing. Might be an easy fix. Right now you’re missing both high and low frequencies. Try listening on several different sets of speakers before you make your mind up about the final settings. Also, you might try tweaking the reverb. As dramatic as this song is, I think that it would work well to have rather ‘big sounding’ drums.

T

to my ears it sounds WAY too much like that 5 for fighting song…the performance is ggod and the mix is interesting but this cuts a little close for my taste…

Ray

T - the drums and piano are supposed to concentrated to a very specific range… I cut them to about a range of 3000 hertz. I’m thinking of possibly expanding that upon the chorus to reencompass the entire specrum tho…

Quote (LordTerrin @ Aug. 28 2006,21:08)
T - the drums and piano are supposed to concentrated to a very specific range… I cut them to about a range of 3000 hertz. I’m thinking of possibly expanding that upon the chorus to reencompass the entire specrum tho…

Ok - I think I see what you are going for…
Setting up a contrast between the trimmed down sound and the full spectrum sound in the chorus seems like a good idea to me. You could use it to build in some more emotion, and I think the contrast will help people pick up on the idea you have for making the drums sound unique during the verses. If you work up a new version, I hope that you will post it.

T