Automating a wah-wah simulator

Coyote freebie plugin.

Hi!

I downloaded a splendid wah-wah pedal simulation from here…

Now it’s merely a filter (à la Mick Ronson) but I want to be more like a wah wah (à la Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile or Turhapuro soundrack).

It says it supports automation, but how I should make it happen in N-track? Some artificial foot to move frequency band up an down an up an down…

Thanks!

It seems you want the GT one or whatever. That will give you the settings you want. That is, if you want autowah, envelope following wah, etc. Now as far as user controlled wah I don’t know if even the full version can do that, and it would seem odd to me that it would be supported in the free version. The free one seems to be simply a res filter like you said. But I could be wrong. shrugs.

fish

For simply a better res filter, try NorthPole. It was recommended to me by marce, and I think it rocks.

What about n-Track’s automation feature?

Yeah, like phoo said, it sounds like a job for plugin parameter automation. You can draw automation curves not just for the whole effect, but also its individual parameters. For starters, try looking at the manual, pgs. 18-19.

I myself haven’t gotten it to work 100% (only some listed parameters working for the plugins I tried), so I can’t say it’ll work for your plugin, but theoretically it should.

Tony

Thanks, Tony! I try that.

Well, now that I directed you to the manual, I need to clear my conscience and warn you that, in case you haven’t noticed, the manual seems to obscure or leave out how to get the automation to play back (well I coudn’t find it in there–I just started pushing buttons :) ). I just figured this out about 20 minutes ago; if you know how to do it already, just ignore me. :)

To hear the automation during playback, go to the main Mixer window, look at the Master Channel settings, then click on the little triangular “button” next to the “hammer”. If you mouse-over the button, the tool tip popup says “Master Channel #1 Playback fader movements”. The button turns green when activated.

This may be common knowledge to everyone else, and I have no idea if it’s the best or right way to do it, but there it is FWIW. :)

Edit: If you click on the circular “Record fader movements” button (next to the triangular button mentioned above), you can play with the Freq parameter during playback, and N-track will record what you do. Note that this probably replaced the “R” button mentioned in the manual, which I couldn’t find in N-track. This may be the easiest way to automate your Wah plugin.

Tony

Quote (Scantee @ Dec. 13 2004,03:21)
Well, now that I directed you to the manual, I need to clear my conscience and warn you that, in case you haven't noticed, the manual seems to obscure or leave out how to get the automation to play back...

Yep. The manual didn't tell that, but that's what manuals tend to do, hide the essential information.

:)

To hear the automation during playback, go to the main Mixer window...

I'm at work right now so I'm not able to try this at once but all other movements I draw (auxes, panning, volumes etc) seem to be hear during the playback without going to main mixer section... odd, but I'll try.

Let us know if you get it to work, cause I always have to swirve my mouse up`and down real fast to get the older sound out of that plug.
I usually mix down the ttrack i need with the efeect on it, but it would be nice to learn how to simply program it.

jerm

Quote (Scantee @ Dec. 13 2004,03:21)
To hear the automation during playback, go to the main Mixer window, look at the Master Channel settings, then click on the little triangular "button" next to the "hammer". If you mouse-over the button, the tool tip popup says "Master Channel #1 Playback fader movements". The button turns green when activated.

Whoo-hoo. This is exactly how to do it. Little green triangular thingie is a route to happines.

Thanks a lot! Chika wooka chika wooka. :cool:

jerm,

FYI, I tried the fader automation last night with the Freq parameter of the Coyote Wah plugin, and it worked great! The envelope-drawing method worked as well, but using the fader was much easier.

Tony

Quote (varakeef @ Dec. 13 2004,05:55)
I'm at work right now so I'm not able to try this at once but all other movements I draw (auxes, panning, volumes etc) seem to be hear during the playback without going to main mixer section... odd, but I'll try.

That's exactly what threw me off. All other automation seemed to work fine, just the plugin parameters didn't. Yes, it is odd--I don't see why it works this way, but oh well, at least it works. :D

Tony

It depends on the plug-in. Some support it others don’t. I would think the plug-in in question would support it, but maybe there is something specific about it that Flavio needs to do besides the normal-generic stuff…or is plug-in parameter automation not working for any plug-in? Afterall plug-in automation is parameter automation.

Don’t get me wrong, phoo–the Coyote Wah plugin automation seems to be working 100% as advertised. My problem was finding the little N-track button that makes plugin automation audible during playback. Volume and pan automation seemed to be working by default, but plugin automation requires that the button be pressed to hear it working.

What I didn’t get was why some automation works by default, while the plugin automation requires that a special button be pressed? That’s what I was referring to when I said, “I don’t see why it works this way”. It’s an N-track interface design decision. I appreciate having the extra control switch, but it might be nice to have all automation playback enabled by default, or at at least for the manual to be more clear/correct about how to work it. For example, as far as I can tell, there is no “R” button to activate fader automation recording as mentioned in the manual; it has been changed to a record-style circular button.

But still, I’m just stoked that it works. It’s a great feature.

Tony

Gotcha…that does seem odd and is probably why I wasn’t able to get it to work a long time ago. I figured it was the plug-ins I was using.

Quote (Scantee @ Dec. 13 2004,15:32)
What I didn't get was why some automation works by default, while the plugin automation requires that a special button be pressed? That's what I was referring to when I said, "I don't see why it works this way". It's an N-track interface design decision. I appreciate having the extra control switch, but it might be nice to have all automation playback enabled by default, or at at least for the manual to be more clear/correct about how to work it.

Yep. This is an illogical design. Why would I want to draw changes and not hear them by default like other drawings?

The triangle should affect the volume pans too, or effect parameters should work without pressing the triangle. Or there should be two buttons: 1. effect automation on 2. volume envelopes on.

However the main thing is that it works and we know how it works. And we have a lively discussion going.