AUX channel question

I’d like some help with using AUX1

I have never used the AUX channels and would finally like to learn how to use them. What I want to do is route 2 vocal tracks into AUX 1 and put the effects in AUX 1 that are common to both vocals. Unfortunately once it routes into AUX 1 I can hear both the original vocal track AND the Aux track. If I disconnect the original track from routing directly into the Main Mixer (using the signal path screen) then both Aux and the track go silent. How do I make it so 2 tracks route into an AUX channel and then into the master channel with everything else without hearing the original unaffected vocals tracks?

Set-up the aux as before and set them to ‘post fader’.

The aux channels traditionally work that way. They are for adding effects (typically reverb or delay) into dry tracks in a way you mix the effected signal with the dry one.

If you want to route whole signal thru the effect (typically compressors, distortion, eq etc.) you use inserts.

What TonyR says is correct. What I like to add is that most effects have a knob that adjusts the effect/dry level as well. So if you want just the effect, you have to check that too.

Thanks for the replies, guys. It is actually sent to post inserts and fader and I can still hear the original track unfortunately. I see what you’re saying, Varakeef and with 2 tracks it’s not a big deal to set it up without AUX, but say I’m doing a song with 12 vocals tracks that all need the same multiple effects. Instead of going to each separate track and setting up my VSTs settings for each effect 12 times I’d like to route all 12 tracks into an AUX channel that has all of the effects set up on it and save a bunch of time. I just need the unaffected dry track to be at volume 0 and all of the sound to come from the AUX channel so it’s the effected vocals, not a mix of dry and effected. Any way to do this?

Quote: (Massimo @ Aug. 02 2010, 8:24 AM)

Thanks for the replies, guys.
It is actually sent to post inserts and fader and I can still hear the original track unfortunately.
I see what you're saying, Varakeef and with 2 tracks it's not a big deal to set it up without AUX, but say I'm doing a song with 12 vocals tracks that all need the same multiple effects.
Instead of going to each separate track and setting up my VSTs settings for each effect 12 times I'd like to route all 12 tracks into an AUX channel that has all of the effects set up on it and save a bunch of time.
I just need the unaffected dry track to be at volume 0 and all of the sound to come from the AUX channel so it's the effected vocals, not a mix of dry and effected.
Any way to do this?

You should probably use a Group channel instead of an Aux for that. You can however have the track only go through the aux channel by setting the send as "Pre-fader" and then setting the track volume to -Inf. In this way the track signal is sent to the aux before the track volume is applied, and after being sent to the aux the track is muted (i.e. -Inf volume) .

Flavio.

Oh wow, I forgot I had been asking about this! Thank you very much for the tip. I’ll definitely have to give this technique a shot sometime soon. It sounds like exactly what I was after :) Thanks again!