Aux levels wrong...

…or isn’t it?

Noticed what I considered to be strange behaviour of n-T.

Routing through Aux produces higher levels than “ordinary way”.

1. Put a wavefile in track one
2. Leave all sliders at "0"
3. Notice the level you get out.

now:

3. Drag slider at track one to -Inf
4. Set Aux to "Pre Fader"
3. Set Aux channel one to "0"
4. Drag aux return slider at master channel to "0"

Shouldn’t it produce the same level as example 1?
Well it don’t here…It’s way above. 12-13 dB

???

Edit: Pardon my english; “aren’t they” is the correct subtopic title…isn’t it? :p

I tried it and it was fine. then i placed the return pre master effects post master volume, WAY WAY WAY louder. I have the master reduced like 19 dB for the test… so I think you have the master volume down, and your aux return set to post master volume.

am I right?
:)

You could have been…but no.

As I said: all sliders at “0” where not stated otherwise. The settings of Aux return mode in the master channel doesn’t effect anything.

Oh…Version 4.2 build 2089…

I seems that aux send is adding 6 dB to Aux bus. Then aux bus is adding another 6 dB before master.

Quote (Fytrius @ April 10 2006,18:55)
Noticed what I considered to be strange behaviour of n-T.

Routing through Aux produces higher levels than “ordinary way”.

1. Put a wavefile in track one
2. Leave all sliders at "0"
3. Notice the level you get out.

now:

3. Drag slider at track one to -Inf
4. Set Aux to "Pre Fader"
3. Set Aux channel one to "0"
4. Drag aux return slider at master channel to "0"

Shouldn’t it produce the same level as example 1?
Well it don’t here…It’s way above. 12-13 dB

???

Edit: Pardon my english; “aren’t they” is the correct subtopic title…isn’t it? :p

The problem should be fixed in build 2090.
Please let me know if you still have this or similar problems in the new build.

Flavio.

Thanks Flavio! Build 2090 works alright.

The reason for noticing this was a comparison I did between different DAW programs (n-Track, Cubase SX and Magix Samplitude) to see whether or not I could hear differences on a mix with some effects made by n-Track in relation to the (much) more expensive ones. Exactly the same levels where applied to all three mixes but n-Track had far more reverb so the comparison was useless without tweaking the levels of the others. And this corrected problem explains why.

I will try it again if I have the time. Preliminary I would say there is NO difference assuming that you use exactly the same effects - i.e. not the internal EQ:s of the programs.

I tried the Aux channels in build 2090, and they work much more as I would expect them to do in a ‘real’ mixer - much more predictable to use now. Thanks, Flavio!!

Now I just have to rework all the mixes I did since starting with v. 4.x… :p

regards, Nils

Yes. I realize that I’m causing a bit of work for some of you. Open an old mix and you’ll find that the aux levels is a lot lower.

I humbly apologize… :O

No need to apologize. It’s better for n-tracks to do the right thing now than a few years down the road. The change won’t make it too hard to fix existing mixes, assuming the change is known and understood, and it won’t change anything in mixes that don’t use AUX. It’s a great catch. Thanks, Mr Fytrius!

<!–QuoteBegin>

Thanks, Mr Fytrius!

I second that!!

regards, Nils