avg free virus

I bought the avg for my tower but I use the free version for my laptop as I don’t go online much with it. Just curious as to how some of you deal with the free version…1 update only and 30 day free trial. do you just uninstall and reinstall every month then do the single update?

Thanks
Cruiser

I didn’t realize AVG Free had such strict restrictions. Are you sure about the one update policy?

my demo download said that…I’ll check tonight when I get home…

Cruiser

My AVG free updates about two to three times a week. We use AVG free for all of the 600+ computers we have on our campus. I’m not really sure why you would buy it… ???

Eyup!

I’ve had AVG free for several years now. The paid for version has enhancements which the free version does not, but updates are ongoing.
It really is an essential utility for anyone who intends to install any software other than the operating system on their PC.
The email scanner has saved me from at least two virus attacks.
It operates silently in the background and uses minimal resources. I wouldn’t be without it.

AdAware is another program no-one should be without.

Steve

maybe I downloaded the DEMO with the 30 day 1 upgrade situation and that is different from the FREE version? anyway I’ve been using it for quite a while and do like it but it’s
firewall is really strong and even with security settings to allow acces to my ad hoc home network I have to turn it (firewall) off to allow my laptop to access my home tower.
no big deal tho…
Cruiser

Eyup!

<!–QuoteBegin>

I have to turn it (firewall) off to allow my laptop to access my home tower.

The free version does not include the firewall.

Steve

I would bet that I downloaded the demo of the full version then and not the free version…Great I’ll make the change tonight on my laptop.

Thanks
Cruiser

AVG Free here on all my PCs. No problems for many years.

It does updates nearly daily.

They make you work hard to find the free version nowadays…

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Mark

As for firewalls I use ZoneAlarm free from Zonelabs.

Cruiser - most firewalls let you put in the IP range of trusted computers. That’s how you get PCs on a peer to peer network to allow access.

Mark

Might I also suggest Avast antivirus? Another good freebie which I find to be a bit more robust than AVG. And for you real nerds, look up ClamAV.

Avast

Thanks Mark…I had used Zonelabs before but it had problems with some other program I was using and the Panda just wouldn’t seem to allow the secure site to give at all. I’ll try Zonelabs on the laptop for another try tonight.

Thanks
Cruiser

Just make sure you set up your trusted and internet zones correctly in ZoneAlarm. I have used it for years with no problems.

Quote (Mark A @ May 18 2006,14:46)
Seen on a California license plate on a VW Beetle: 'FEATURE'

...As in... Not a bug???

:p

<!–QuoteBegin>

…As in… Not a bug???

Yep… It’s not a bug, it’s a FEATURE…

Ohhh man.