Back to Tracking and Mixing..

But… I have an Issue…

Hi Guys:
The machines in the studio are up and running, again. I have been tracking from the Tascam 38 to a Hard Drive on the P-111 800mhz machine with a Hoontech STA 2000 analogue Capture setup. The Tracks are being routed to the STA 2000 inputs from the Group outputs of the Console… It is/was working fine, with no issues, yesterday morning and afternoon.

However, today, as I have not completed the process, I started off this morning to finish the captuering, only to find that the P-111 goes to a “Blue” screen the second I push the Transport Buttons" on n-Track…

The blue screen says… Bad_Pool_Caller… This is, an XP Desk…

It continues to describe the reason for shutting the computer down… So as, to protect the computer from serious damage… It continues to describe how to fix the problem…

1 It says to disable the BIOS Memory Options… such as, disabeling the Caching or Shadowing…

2 Uninstalling the software and hardware drivers of the applications that are causeing the issues… etc.

But before I remove The Hoontech STA 2000 hardware and Drivers, and mabey, n-Track… Could there be something I might be able to follow up on ?

I don’t know where to go, to disable the BIOS Memory Options, or what it is… and… if I remove the STA 2000 hardware and drivers and n-Track, is doing that gonna fix the issues when I re-install all that stuff?

It also asks the questions… has this hardware and software been properly installed and with the latest Drivers, etc… and all… Well, it was working just fine, yesterday… What combination could have developed to show all this?

Is there something I can address, to mabey, fix this, before I tackle the Task of Jumping-off-the Ladder… ?? ??? :(

Thanks to pointing me in the Right Direction… :O ???

Bill…

yow :(

Doesn’t sound good – actually, might even be that a hardware problem cropped up. Sorry I can’t help you here.

Scotty, run a diagnostic on all systems, and meanwhile bypass the relays! If that doesn’t work, well, just beam me down to that planet with all those beautiful women.

Bill I had a problem like that recently after I had rebuilt my computer. It turned out to be a hardware problem with my sound card (audiophile 24/96). Yanked the card and haven’t had a problem since.

FWIW,
Sean

Bill

I suggest you get a backup program known as Ghost, which copies your OS drive elsewhere. When something goes on the fritz, instead of playing the old reformat - reinstall operating system - reinstall applications - tweak applications game over and over, just do it once. Set your system up fresh and new and running like a top, then ghost it, creating a mirror image of the entire drive elsewhere. Then when you run into these vexing computer problems, you can always restore your system to a known good operating state within 15-30 minutes with ghost. After you have danced this little dance a few times, the value of your time becomes greater than the thrill factor of the little dance I outlined above.

http://www.symantec.com/home_ho…ghost10

I also have the STA C-Port 2000 card and it has been nothing but reliable. My drivers are version 8.2 by ESI, running XP Pro. What are your drivers on the STA 2000?

Hi Guys:
Thanks for your replies… I have been busy Editing a set of tracks I ripped the other day with this setup. I haven’t done anything yet to that machine… It has an XP Desk so I might try a “Restore” on it before I go too far into the issue…

I’ll boot that machine up and check to see what version drivers I have on that machine for the STA 2000… I’ll report back when I get the chance to get into the studio, again…
It recorded those Tascam 38 tracks at 24 bit res. so well…
Not an issue… can see…
I’m working with those files in 24-bit… with n-Track on my editing machine…

You see, all these machines are on a “HUB” switch… So, I am able to import tracks from one-machine-to-another… with no problems…

Anyway, I’m working on a song… I’m busy… and what more can I want? lol…

I’m looking for a Real Drummer, a Guitar Player, some Fiddle Tracks, some keys… mainly, Right-Hand, but some left-hand as well… Some Backing Vocals… and… Well…

All of this stuff was started, some 15 years ago…

My RADAR Buddy, Wayne called me yesterday… He gave me a big I-Told-You-So… When I told him about the DAW Failure… I can’t disagree with him… I didn’t want to get involved with any DAW issues when I started this project… Now, I’m right in the middle of it… It’s so discourging… ??? :(

He wants to set me up with a RADAR System… In my opinion, they are the best turn-key set-ups money can buy… today… I’ve seen them… They are flawless… machines… They’d work real well with n-Track, as an EDITOR… with a Lexicon LDI-12T Mastering Unit… with "98SE as the DESK… Which I have…

Bill…

[EDIT]
You are so right Tom… I know so many guys that wouldn’t do any Tracking or Editing on a DAW without first “Ghost’ing” their C Drives… What’s my hold-up?

Bill I bought an Alesis HD24 last summer and the advantages of this dedicated recorder are no problems of any sort ever, no clicks or pops or crashing. List is $2400 and street price $1500, I paid $1350 from Sweetwater. Here’s a link to HD24 review in Mix Magazine.

http://www.digitalplayroom.com/alesis/reviews/hd24p1.htm

Hi Tom:
That Alesis HD-24 machine is a nice looking piece of hardware. I haven’t seen one, first-hand… though…

I’ve seen the RADAR 24-track unit that Wayne has… I’m not sure of the model # or vintage, though. However, it’s a late version… Mabey, less than a year old… He’s in current communication with them on a weekly basis, over in British Columbia, with all the latest up-dates with software-and-hardware for the set-up, he has…

He had a tracking session lined up over the Christmas/New Year week, but there was a musician that let the tracking session down… That Happens… I was gonna sit-in on the session and take my camera and all… Then post some photos of his set-up and rooms… That’ll happen, but farther down the road… now… Well…

Today, I’ve been tracking some drum tracks and “Editing” and all, as “Guide-Tracks” for some real drummer to to do some “Tubs” for me.

Then, some guide tracks for some Keys and Fiddles… and all… We’ll see.

As you can see, I just hate going into that studio to see what happened to that P-111 set-up… I’m pretty discouraged… but I’m not down-and-out… I’m licking my wounds and I’m tough and I have lots of patience, I think…

I wanted to record the “Ghost” tracks in 24-bit RES. but when I looked at their properties, the tracks were recorded at 16-bit res. However, I rendered them in n-Track, at 24 bit… So I hope that’ll work O.K. and, with no issues… We’ll wait-and-see, on that… I have Kick-Snare-and-Hats recorded from a Roland D-5 Keyboard and Samples… I need some Toms and Cymbles, but I don’t know how to play the tracks or just where and how to place those tracks on the time-line… I’m working on them…

It appears that there may be a mis-match/sync’ing in the “Sample Rate” between the Hoontech audio hardware and the audio card I’m useing to record the Ghost Tracks… I would liked to have used the STA 2000 set-up to record these tracks but that is not to be… It is becomming an editing nightmare… It stresses the “Creativity”… The Hats are just not playing/sync’ing well with the rest of the drum tracks… There must be some technical glitch I haven’t figuered out… Mabey, something not right with the Sampleing Rate, or something… The quantization is off…

Bill…

Bill

It sure sounds like a mess troubleshooting your PC problems. Best of luck with that. I know you will eventually sort it all out. This time ghost your setup when its tweaked right and that small step will eliminate this kind of diagnostic headache repeating on you. The Radar gear has a fine reputation. I look in on some pro boards like prosoundweb.com and the radar gear is commonly used and praised. I choose the HD24 for a combination of the 24 simultanious ins and outs and great sounding converters. Its ability to act as an FTP server is very nice. After tracking, I put it in server mode, connected to my router via ethernet, then ftp the tracks to my audio PC for editing and mastering. Good luck with getting your gear back in order bud.

Tom