Bass Drum mic

Nady DM 80 is this mic OK?

I just went to the music store and orderted a Nady DM 80 mic, is this mic excellent for its purpose? The specs are ok with me but a want a proffesionals insight. please help…

peace…

I wouldn’t say anything Nady makes is “excellent” but that in mind, if your drum is tuned well, with new heads, and a decent room, and you take your time to place the mic, then it’ll sound good.

its a kick mic, do you think it can be used to mic a cabinet for electric guitar? thanks by the way…

I’ve seen d112’s used on bass cabs…

yeah, as long as the instrument you’re micing doesn’t have a lot of high frequency content, the mic should work fine.

Bass mics on guitars sound like bass mics on guitars - try takign a track you ahve recorded, and roll off a bunch above about 7K, you’ll see what I mean. It can be a very usable sound, but don’t make it your main thing, IMHO. I’m talking about LD dynamics that are tailored for low freq - which IIRC the nady is…?

thanks guys…

peace:cool:

On topic to this:
For miking my bassdrum when recording my band uses an AKG d112 and a 12" subwoofer mounted at the end of 6’ of cardboard tubing used to make cement columns (cheap @ homedepot and the likes). The akg is very close to the inside/beater head (stuck inside the drum) and gets great punch, the tube is mounted as close as possible to the front/stage head and gives a great rounded smooth tone kind of reminiscent of a 808 style drum you could only get with triggering IMHO. It’s a neat trick and pretty cheap to play with. The are both going to seperate tracks and when blended nicely it makes my already big 24" BD sound very large while not sacrificing accuracy and clarity.

I’m curious, why through the 6 foot tube, dubbreak? I have a 10 inch speaker just on a homemade mount right up next to the outside head of the kick. I have some plastic sewer piping that I could use - I tried to use it to flange a guitar amp, you know, like KISS did 'way back when. Sounded like the mic was at the end of a tube. Tubular. Does the kick sound that way in your set up?

Does the kick sound that way in your set up?

Excellent question. I was just going to setup an identical speaker (we have two) on a mdf frame and see the difference. It does no sound like it is in a tube, the theory of the guy that made it (lead singer) was that it would capture more air, move the speaker more and create more signal, i see many problems with that theory, but I can't knock that it works.

I will probably want to minimize the frame though (I don't want it to sound like I have my BD against a wall, but that may be an unfounded concern). I was also considering mounting an 8" I have laying around above the 12" see what I get from that. At worst it will look less phalic :laugh: . I'll have to take some pics of the current setup it's hilarious, I could just see going to a gig and being like, "Ah we have our own mics mind if we use them?" And then pull out the "tube".

Hah! I’d like to see the sound person when you haul that tube out!

Considering the output of a 12 inch speaker used that way, the immense surface area, I would think that capturing more air would not really be a problem. I have to put a pad on mine, it totally clips the preamp set at the lowest setting otherwise. I’ve tried 3 inch to 15 inch speakers, and you can guess what the difference is - the central freqs get lower with the bigger speaker. Nice cardboard box sound with a cheap 3 inch speaker from radio shack! and a mid size speaker like 8 or 10 inches can get a very credible sound, with more high end, so that a separate mic is not necessary sometimes.

Anyway, with a 10 or 12 inch or so just hangning free in front of the front kick drum head it doesn’t sound like it’s against a wall, at least not to me - just lots of low end boom.

I had though that perhaps the tube was there to help keep out other drums, but one of the cool things about big speaker mics is that they naturally roll off at a pretty low frequency, and so I’ve never had to isolate mine to keep other drums out…although there still might be bass guitar problems if you are in the same room…

The long tube is nothing more than a speaker cabinet that is tuned in the 40-50 hz range. Think of it as a pipe like is under vibes or resonates like a pipe organ. The same thin can be accomplished by mounting the speaker in a normal ported speaker cabinet and it will be much smaller…but that is a neat idea. I don’t think it’s necessary when using the speaker as a mic though. It won’t help isolation much in the long run – sound coming in one end will be similar volume on the inside of the tube at the other end so it won’t matter much which way it is facing except for phase reasons.

It may make in interesting looking woofer that may actually sound pretty good…make it 7 feet long and the resonance is 40 hz. (My L40 model JBLs are tuned to 36hz).

BTW: You don’t really want a speaker-to-be-used-as-a-mic resonating that low. The idea behind using a speaker is to record the nautral resonace of the speaker, and to be good-kick that should be much higher in frequency. A 40 hx resonance in the kick will sound like mud in the mix. That is why free standing unmounted speakers sound better most of the time as kick mics. The unmounted resonance can be up in the 100 hz or more range…chest thumping range…not stomach rumbling deep.