BBE Sonic Maximizer Plug - Has onyone used it?

Does this work in Ntrack?

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Thanks!

JD

I’ve never heard of it. I couldn’t even understand what it was supposed to do. Some kind of catch all miracle plug? ??? But if its dx, it should work in n, I guess.

The hardware device has been around since 1985 and they are based in California. Way back then it was generally inserted between the preamp device and the power section. In my opinion it tended to open up a mix and add more separation and sparkle. I checked their website as like all manufacturers they have continued to advance their product offering to meet the ever evolving audio scene. Their is a freeware version offered by elogoxa as a vst plugin which I have downloaded and it works with v4 or higher of n-track. As I mentioned it is still freeware so it does not have all the bells and whistles but it will give you an idea of what it does. If you type the above mentioned name into your search engine I’m sure you’ll find the site. In fact if you search this forum you’ll find a message with the website embedded.

Anyway I’ve babbled long enough! While I was as the actual BBE website I copied the following information which explains the therory of it’s operation:

Which Sonic Maximizer model is best for my application?

We offer several models, though for most applications there is not one “right” model to use. It’s more a matter of your budget. For example, in a guitar rack system, our model 482i is the most popular because:

1) Instrument racks (guitar, bass, keyboards etc.) are generally unbalanced systems (-10dBu), and
2) Each channel can be adjusted separately, such that a user could use one channel for a signal going to the amp and another going to a mixing board in a live situation
3) The 482i has the best sound sound quality, better than the the 362 (or 362NR).

However, if a guitarist is on a limited budget, then the lower priced ganged-control 362 unit will be fine. Though the sound quality is not quite as good as the 362 and substantially less than the 482i.

The point is that for a given application, a user can generally choose from several BBE models, and in some cases any BBE model will work. Your BBE dealer can help you reach a decision taking prices and features into account.

Do BBE Sonic Maximizer processors create any harmonics like exciter and enhancer effects units?

No. BBE technology does not work like exciter and enhancer effects. Typcially, exciter effects are associated with creating artificial harmonics through small amounts of overdrive in the high frequency band. This can prove useful in some recording studio situations, particularly in remastering older analog tapes. However, in today’s recording and playback audio environments, there is no need to artifically simulate high freqencies lost through degradation of the original source tapes.

Enhancers are generally associated with equalization, however there are some products which attempt to combine exciter and enhancer effects with the result being harsh and fatiguing to the ear with no actual improvement in clarity and definition. Generally, enhancer products are marketed to appear as though they are more sohpisticated than multiband or parametric equalizer units, however, this is seldom true.

BBE is totally different than exciter and enhancer effects units. BBE High Definition Sound technology is not an effect, but restructures the signal in such a way which allows speakers to more correctly and faithfully reproduce the signal. The best analogy for BBE technology is like eyeglasses for your audio system.

Chris

Quote (chrisd @ Feb. 10 2005,21:13)
The best analogy for BBE technology is like eyeglasses for your audio system.

Chris

Ahhh, I see....

:p
Tony

*EDIT: Joking aside, this does sound interesting. I'm going to give the Elogoxa a try... thanks for the info chrisd! *

I’ve used BBE Sonic maximizer in N, works just fine :). When I first read about it about a year ago, the description claimed to correct the most common phenomena associated with almost every speaker, like phase distortion (the difference in phase between frequencies in speaker output) and something else which the document didn’t explain (why would they give away their many years of expensive research :P). Anyway, it can work wonders to your tracks, they can be made much crispier and natural sounding. I like to use it for drums and synths, for guitars… well, it’s not for my guitar sound. Better look out for overusing it, but I guess that applies to all the other effects out there ;).

Thanks guys! I’ll definately have to give Elogoxa a try.

JD

many guitarists use it in their rig. I used to own one. sounded great with distortion, really tightened it up. I found that using it on a whole mix tended to make the vocal disappear though…

I use one on VST, and at course in hardware version. Both are great. Slap it onto anything you need to add some magic to, to make it stand out. And then slap it on the main mix while you’re rendering your whole song to .wav

Quote (Dyers @ Feb. 14 2005,12:56)
I use one on VST, and at course in hardware version. Both are great. Slap it onto anything you need to add some magic to, to make it stand out. And then slap it on the main mix while you're rendering your whole song to .wav

Too much sugar can ruin the coffee...

This thing sounds cool at first, but it has the capability to destroy a mix very quickly. The BBE is best used in great moderation. IMHO.

...and I wouldn't exactly call it "eyeglasses for you mix", more like "rose-colored glasses"

-John
:cool:

This was the “secret weapon” in my Boogie rig in the late 80’s to date. Love this thing! I’ve been using the plug in with N-track for about a year now. Worked fined with V3 and 4. The plugin has some nice presets, but I also believe it can quickly take a mix south. I wouldn’t say use it in “great moderation”, but remember that it is easy to over use it, and it is not a “solve all”. If you over use it, things will get muddy in the lows, and “transistor” sounding in the high end.

I was in NFL studio’s a few years ago and they had a rack full of them. I have 2 in my studio rack, and one in my guitar rack. Other than my guitar, I don’t record with them, but rather add it with the plugin when needed. Always used it when bouncing my 1/4" 2 track to cassette or dat back in the day. I don’t recommend it on the master mix if you are going to have it mastered.

BBE is also starting to find its way into TV’s and home theater systems. My Sony TV has BBE built in. I added a rack unit to my home theater years ago.

Quote (Toker41 @ Feb. 14 2005,16:54)
BBE is also starting to find its way into TV's and home theater systems. My Sony TV has BBE built in. I added a rack unit to my home theater years ago.

Which is exactly why I think that it's not good to sweeten your own mixes too much... The listener probably has "Bass Boost" and God only knows what else going on in thier stereo.