Beginner

Hello all. I am a beginner to n-Track and music production. I created a recording of my daughter this evening using a wav file piano track and a very cheap microphone. The computer uses a standard on motherboard sound card.

Let me know what you think?

Click Here for file

Thanks,
Rob

Alright. First things first. sounds pretty good. There are a couple things that you could do to make it even better. The first is using compression. Most vocal tracks need it (click on the button that says DSP). After doing that, click on the the triangle button (its black and on its side and if you hold you mouse over it, it says draw volume envelopes), and you can eliminate the noise from the mic and being handled in the very beginning. Good luck.

small problem with the vocals for the future, when recording them with a cheap mic, i find it better to put the mic at the side of your mouth to reduce the noise made when breathe hits it with words like ‘part’, for something that is quite easy to find a way round, it sticks out a lot, otherwise for a cheap mic the vocals sound good. the piano sounds nice as well!

Quote (Yubious @ July 12 2005,19:09)
small problem with the vocals for the future, when recording them with a cheap mic, i find it better to put the mic at the side of your mouth to reduce the noise made when breathe hits it with words like 'part', for something that is quite easy to find a way round, it sticks out a lot, otherwise for a cheap mic the vocals sound good. the piano sounds nice as well!

Yup, they're called "plosives" i believe...
B, P, T are a few I think. Stretch a pair of a pantyhose over a wire hanger and position it in front of the mic. Works like a charm.

Try also a touch of reverb on the vocal to "soften" it up.

Have fun!