Berry's new stompboxes

how can they get away with this?

http://www.behringer.com/01_news/events_wnamm2005.cfm?lang=ENG

Have a look at some of the stompboxes Berry are bringing out. Now they’re not even pretending to be original, in look, or in the pedals they’re “inspired” by. Check out the rack tuner, and then have a look around Korg’s site and see what I mean.

Have a look, and then tell me Boss/Roland won’t care. And then look at the prices, and see if you care. We all have a price…

Personally, I’m looking forward to the
http://www.behringer.com/GDI21/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.behringer.com/TU100/index.cfm?lang=ENG (the boss unit is $250AU, as opposed to the $40 berry)

Are they giggable? If they’re for the studio, who cares, $40AU is throwaway money…

“Will you sleep with me for a million dollars?”
“sure”
“will you sleep with me for a dollar?”
"#### no, what sort fo girl do you think I am?"
"We know what you are, we’re just negotiating a price…"

Willy.

About the stomp boxes: What’s inside counts. And the technic inside is probably pretty old stuff so I don’t think anybody’s intellectual rights are stolen.

And the looks: they look a bit Bossish indeed, but I don’t think they’re similiar enough to be considered as a breach of model rights

Price is right. 22 euros for a phaser/flanger is a bargain. Reminds me of the eighties when prices of stomp boxes were reasonable - not that reasonable thou.

Good move by Behringer.

Behringer is crap, and their business practices give a whole new meaning to the term shady. Their stuff breaks constantly, occasionally catastrophically (I’ve seen two of their bass heads litterally blow up). The saying in the store I work at is “Friends don’t let friends buy Behri.” Spend the extra money on something of higher quality.

Yeah, the local where I shop reckon they get a #### of a lot of amp returns… I’ve got a bit of berry gear, maybe I’ve been lucky.

It has been observed that the price is indicative of the number of days they will operate before failure.

whoa, those boxes just smell like lawsuit to me.

edit: say, you don’t suppose someone hacked the site and posted this stuff a a joke, do you?

Look at this :

The metal Tone ?
MT100 ? And the same charcoal color scheme…

Even this one :

Again, same colors and button layout.

This is too close …

Tom - hope you’re right …

W

though behringer is known for it’s “shady” copycat business, I have to say this, they’re making things more accesible to the purchaser as well as instigating competition to lower the inflated prices of much of the gear out there.

I have owned a number of pieces by behringer, and have NEVER had a problem with them.

Now, more importantly, most people KNOW that you get what you pay for, if you really want the metal zone, save your pennies and get that one, not the knock-off. But sometimes you don’t want to pay for the quality version.

The same type of tactic is used ALL OVER the market. look at store brand products. some stuff, same packaging, different price. want cheese that tastes good? buy the more expensive cheese. just want some cheese? buy the store brand.

behringer may be lazy and just other people’s designs, but lets face it, the components inside are different and nobody HAS to buy them.

But there are no intellectual property issues when it comes to cheese, there are with things like branding and circuit design.

OK, how will I resist buying some of these? I hope they mostly suck. That’d make it easier.

I own a few Behringer products and have never had a problem with them.
(compressor, headphones, mx series mixer, v-tone practice amp, DI box).
Reason I bought them was that I couldn’t justify/afford to pay a lot more for an “established” brand equivalent.

I have read that Behringer seem to have some quality control issues, but at the same time there are a lot of people out there that have been lucky enough not to be on the wrong side of them.

Seems to be that with Behringer stuff, if it’s sill working after a couple of months it will probably be ok. If it doesn’t, get it replaced under warranty.

If I was a professional muso and my income, reputation and a whole bunch of other people depended on my equipment working, then I might either spring for the more expensive gear (and be able to claim it as a tax deduction!) or give each unit a good breaking in period and have 1 or 2 units as backups…

But $40AUS for a tuner pedal - Im buying that when it comes out. Saves me using my hand held tuner and sticking it to my amp. It’s cheaper than what I paid for my hand held tuner!!!

Once the pedals come out it should pretty quickly emerge whether or not the pedals sound crap.
But based on other berry stuff - especially their v-amp stuff (which is the closest thing they currently have to the stomp boxes) it should sound half decent. Certainly good enought for a 15 year old playing guitar in his bedroom who only has a small amount of money to spend anyway.

Rich

But $40AUS for a tuner pedal - Im buying that when it comes out. Saves me using my hand held tuner and sticking it to my amp. It's cheaper than what I paid for my hand held tuner!!!

I's 20bux cheaper than than what I paid for a non-chromatic stompbox tuner (which I love btw).
But $40AUS for a tuner pedal - Im buying that when it comes out. Saves me using my hand held tuner and sticking it to my amp. It's cheaper than what I paid for my hand held tuner!!!

I's 20bux cheaper than than what I paid for a non-chromatic stompbox tuner (which I love btw).