Better Drum Samples for DK+?

Regarding the DK+ drum machine that is internal to n-Track (versions 4.x and up).

It seems like the more I try to make the drums sound ‘good’ (w/ eq, compression, reverb, etc.) the worse they end up sounding.

Since these are midi samples, are they eq’d and compressed already?

I want my drums to sound like this Nine Lashes— any ideas? (listen to intro to “THE FALL” and “One and All”) - for a bunch of 20 year olds they sound really good… I have to remember the 10 commandments when I listen to them… “Thou shall not covet thy neighbors oxen, wife, or mixing skills.”
lol

Seriously, maybe the solution to a better midi drum sound is better midi samples

DK+ allows you to input your own drum samples (eg:
you can put in your own snare, kick, high hat, etc.) - so getting better sounding stuff is theoritically possible.

- leading me to my next question.

Are any of you guys “pot and pan beaters” and if so, could you take some high quality recorded samples of your kits pieces parts and put them up on the web somewhere?

Or

Does anyone have high quality “real” drum kit samples (not loops - individual hits of all your stuff")they wouldn’t mind posting for download on soundclick or something?

Drums can really “make” a song to - so it’s a difficult area to have a weakness in from a songwriting/ composing standpoint.

I’m considering this guy:.
His name is Brian McRae, and he basically plays drums on your songs for a fee.
Anyone ever heard of him, or used a service like he provides?

Let me know.

Jonathan Wilson
Testament (the band)

N T DRUMS - MENU - PREFS - kill the reverb -

ANYTHING that sounds GOOD in isolation will sound CRAP in the mix -

NTD beats are wave files not MIDI samples -

there are billions of free drum samples out there - it is actually easier and quicker to build up your drum tracks in the timeline from sample hits -

Dr J

N T DRUMS - MENU - PREFS - kill the reverb -

ANYTHING that sounds GOOD in isolation will sound CRAP in the mix -

NTD beats are wave files not MIDI samples -

there are billions of free drum samples out there - it is actually easier and quicker to build up your drum tracks in the timeline from sample hits -

Dr J

You know who made some killer drum samples a couple/few years ago? Manytone. One of the folks who has offered a prize for the contest. :agree:

I checked them out. I was also thinking of just mic’ing our drummers kit at rehersal one day — and seeing if I could get something from that. Another good drum sound in my opinion is the drum introduction to Creatures of the Night by KISS.

I’m going to see if that guy at drumoverdubs.com will give me a quote on my stuff. I’ll let you know how it comes back.

Jonathan Wilson
Testament (the band)

I used these once, before I discovered N’s drums (I quite like them!):

http://www.livestudiodrums.com/

Craig

Craig, did you use that service for anything you’ve posted?

I like the N-drum thing myself.
In fact, it was the whole reason I upgraded from version 3 back in the day…

The problem is that I’m not a drummer, so it’s tough to decide what a drummer would play, and then program that part into the drum program…

I got a book on drum patterns (but it’s pretty basic stuff)…
The presets are nice, but after a few songs, you run out of them because there aren’t that many of them to choose from.

I did look at those guys as well, but thought the guy I referenced fit my style.
I love that video file introduction of his band playing out in the desert somewhere.
That riff is so cool.
Does anyone know what song it is?
I’d certainly part w/ 99cents to buy the whole song for my i-tunes.
The link is below…

(here:
www.drumoverdubs.com)

Used 'em here Tom on ‘Just wait and see’:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands…6314657

Obviously way before I got half way to grips with mixing and N etc. but you get each drum/cymbal etc. as a seperate .wav to mix yourself.

Wow, that’s one of my favorite songs you’ve done!

:agree:

How did you figure out who to use as the drummer, or did they choose for you, ro what?
(yup, I’m too lazy to read through their website…)

edit - I get it, it’s all Frank, right?

Ha! yes it is.

When you book, you choose which snare etc. and what sort of style…send an example or just click the ‘you’re the drummer…you decide’ button.

I would definitely use him again if funds allowed.

Check out the samples he has from other projects.
Glad you like the tune BTW :)

Opps…wrong thread…go over there ->>>>

HECK!! I can’t find what I was responding to so here’s my silly response to “What do you use for drums?” (wherever that post is)

OMG.

“That seventh tom two rows up has a funky ring - could you tape it or something?”

Nobody really plays 'em. See that laptop running Reaper over on the left? :laugh:

JOKE!

Don’t throw stuff… unless it’s folded currency in large denominations…

D

Overkill?

Maybe the man just likes options…

Seriously, how do you play 5 kick drums?

Different sounds, and melodic tunings.
Don’t want to be playing on toms that aren’t in pitch with the song of they ring long enough to clash.

This is a GREAT rundown on that set.
http://www.terrybozzio.com/setup.html

(overkill? you bet!)