big problem please help

hello everyone i have been working on a song for a few weeks now with n-track studio but i just came across a big prblem.
I opened the program like i always do yesterday and when i tryed uploading the song i got an error message that sed error opening song.

can someone please help solve this if not just let me know why this happen i would grately appreciate the help thanx.

The wav files are still there, I take it? You can just import them; you’ll lose the sng data that had stuff about plug ins and settings and such, but it sounds like the sng file is corrupt. ???

Yeah the song files are still present but is there any way of correcting the corrupt file because i want to leave importing the wav files as a last resort.

Thanx for your help man. :)

Sorry, but I don’t know. I suppose if you knew the structure of the sng file you might be able to figure out the problem, but I’m just sort of making that up, b/c I’m pretty much computer ignorant. :)

Anyone?

Tom computer ignorant cause he won’t give up that strat! :D

Where did you save the song file play2. Hard drive/CD/other?
I’m less computer savvy than Tom, but maybe we can fix your problem with a little bit more info. There are a lot of computer geniouses on this forum. :D

Yaz

Quote (play2live420 @ July 20 2005,15:02)
Yeah the song files are still present but is there any way of correcting the corrupt file because i want to leave importing the wav files as a last resort.

Thanx for your help man. :)

well, at least one good thing will come from this - you'll start backing up your files! :D...

by chance, are you running any type of compression on your hard drive (ntfs compression, drivespace, etc)?... were you opening over a network, external drive (usb/firewire), cd/dvd?... was this a .SNG file or a .SGW file?... what version of n-track?

also, you could try sharing the .sng file with some others that use n-track... if the .sng file is definitely corrupted, then no one else should be able to open it... if it's not corrupt, then we'll just see some big Xs asking for the wave files' locations... any midi among the tracks?...

as for mr spades suggestion about the file format - good luck!... this is something that i would love as well...

thanks,
isaac

Have a look in the directory where the .sng file is stored - there may be backups of older (but still worth having!) songs.

Mark

[QUOTE]by chance, are you running any type of compression on your hard drive (ntfs compression, drivespace, etc)?.. were you opening over a network, external drive (usb/firewire), cd/dvd?.. was this a .SNG file or a .SGW file?.. what version of n-track?

I am running compression on my hard drive ntfs compression and I was not opening over a network or external drive the file was a SNG file and I fist experienced the problem with N-track 4.0.5 but I then downloaded N-track 4.1 beta to see if it was a software glitch but no success.

I hope this gives you guys a little more incite of how I can solve my problem if not I appreciate the help but for sure I am now going to back up my files.

Ouch. I’m not a fan of ANYBODY’s compression schemes for working files. With todays HUGE hard disks being so cheap, why risk it? Not to mention the performance hit the OS takes by having to decompress and recompress junk on the fly…

TG