Bizarre sound when recording

Hi!! i’m new here.

I need help for a problem when recording.

Everything on n-track is default so i didn’t put any effect on and i get this **** when recording guitar with distorsion. I tried changing the channel, lower the sound everything except de good thing.

Hear how it sounds

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2btpz5

I don’t know what to change

Sound card is Real high definition audio

thanks for the help

First off - you just send the n-Track .sng file not an actual sound file. (wav or mp3) It won’t play for us because we don’t have your track wav file.

Are you using the demo version that inserts an ‘organ’ tone every 20 -30 seconds ??

Is that what you mean by ****?

Welcome to the forum !

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Sep. 17 2008, 7:38 AM)

First off - you just send the n-Track .sng file not an actual sound file. (wav or mp3) It won't play for us because we don't have your track wav file.

Are you using the demo version that inserts an 'organ' tone every 20 -30 seconds ??

Is that what you mean by ****?

Welcome to the forum !

here it is in .wav

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a06c7b

My version is all up and running. It's registered

thanks for helping

Sounds like you’re getting some un-intended ‘looping’ is that it?

Hard to tell - some folks may actually ‘like’ that sound.

If so check your aux sends for effects. Turn them all they way down in the master fader window.
It sounds like some sort of feedback.
Is that what you mean?

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Sep. 17 2008, 7:50 AM)

Sounds like you're getting some un-intended 'looping' is that it?

Hard to tell - some folks may actually 'like' that sound.

If so check your aux sends for effects. Turn them all they way down in the master fader window.
It sounds like some sort of feedback.
Is that what you mean?

i just want the thing to go away and then record plain guitar

i don’t have any effect on
i just pushed the revert to default

Can you tell us a bit more about how you are set up and I’m sure someone will recognize the problem.

Guitar is direct or mic’ed ? going into _ mixer ? USB unit ? - as much as you can tell us…

My guitar is plugged into my amp which is recorded by a mic (Sony) then the mic is directly plugged into my soundcard.

And you’re using headphones so there’s no feedback from monitors right?

yeah

Well it’s defiantly looping.

What sound card are you using? Would that be the on board Realtec HD sound card?
Is this a labtop, what OS are you running?

Causes for looping that I can think of, in windows playback and recording are 2 separate control panels. In playback the MIC must* be muted or you’ll get feedback through your speakers when you use a MIC, and in recording the MIC must be selected or you won’t be able to record.

You can also use your “line in” also to record the mic. Same rule* applies for line in.

Hope this helps,

PACO

Quote: (Paco572 @ Sep. 17 2008, 8:42 AM)

Well it's defiantly looping.

What sound card are you using? Would that be the on board Realtec HD sound card?
Is this a labtop, what OS are you running?

Causes for looping that I can think of, in windows playback and recording are 2 separate control panels. In playback the MIC must* be muted or you'll get feedback through your speakers when you use a MIC, and in recording the MIC must be selected or you won't be able to record.

You can also use your "line in" also to record the mic. Same rule* applies for line in.

Hope this helps,

PACO

it is the Realteck HD onboard.

Ok i'll try

it’s not a laptop and i’m operating WinXP SP3

Open the Windows Mixer app by double-clicking the little Speaker icon in the system tray. Go “Options” > “Properties”. Then choose the Radio Button for “Recording” and click “OK”. Now on the dialog that appears, make sure anything like the following is NOT enabled;

“What you hear”
“Mono Mix”
"Stereo Mix"

You probably will only want your “Mic” and/or “Line Input” enabled.

It sounds like what you are experiencing is “Stereo Mix” or “Mono Mix” is enabled and thus gets fed back into the input of the stream from the sound card. It’s handy for recording Podcasts or similar “system audio” things but feeding that back into the input while trying to record line-in or mic-in and monitoring what you are doing will result in a feedback loop.

D - I so hate myself… just don’t expect any n-Track specific answers…

Don’t be confused Atticus… nuttin’ to do with you mate.

Quote: (Diogenes @ Sep. 17 2008, 9:22 AM)

Open the Windows Mixer app by double-clicking the little Speaker icon in the system tray. Go "Options" > "Properties". Then choose the Radio Button for "Recording" and click "OK". Now on the dialog that appears, make sure anything like the following is NOT enabled;

"What you hear"
"Mono Mix"
"Stereo Mix"

You probably will only want your "Mic" and/or "Line Input" enabled.

It sounds like what you are experiencing is "Stereo Mix" or "Mono Mix" is enabled and thus gets fed back into the input of the stream from the sound card. It's handy for recording Podcasts or similar "system audio" things but feeding that back into the input while trying to record line-in or mic-in and monitoring what you are doing will result in a feedback loop.

D - I so hate myself... just don't expect any n-Track specific answers... **

** Don't be confused Atticus... nuttin' to do with you mate.

i tried what you said but it still does it. I plugged the guitar line-in and it's ok...the only thing is the damn delay when live but i guess there is no way to remove it

thanks everyone for your help

Thanx D - (sucker)

I only know how to use n-Track - I don’t know how to tell folks how to use it.

Do you hear this ‘effect’ only on playback and not while monitoring the live input?

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Sep. 17 2008, 9:45 AM)

Thanx D - (sucker)

I only know how to use n-Track - I don't know how to tell folks how to use it.

Do you hear this 'effect' only on playback and not while monitoring the live input?

i see it when i record...i can see the wave go from big to small. then on playback the "effect" is there

Open the Realtek mixer, mute playback when recording.

It’s the high latency of the crappy onboard sound card/driver. Mike, the onboard sound cards are really not well designed for music production. The one suggestion I have is go to http://www.asio4all.com and download and install the ASIO4ALL driver. Set the latency slider in the ASIO4ALL control panel as low as you can go and still get smooth recording and playback with the least amount of latency. Remember! You’ll have to choose the ASIO4ALL driver in n-Tracks Preferences.

DO NOT use the “LIVE” function in n-Track unless you are using an amp simulator or other VST/DX effect plugin and you NEED to hear it while recording. I’ll STOP here… (BP is going up) :p

D - back into self-imposed exile… :whistle: