blips while recording/playback...

Hi… another issue I wanted to ask for help with… I am running into problems with getting slight blips in my recordings. it seems some of the blips are introduced while recording, so they’re actually in the recorded file, and some are during playback (seems to happen at different places of the same file), and some seems to happen during mixdown. I’m not too sure, the blips are slight and sometimes hard to hear… but sometimes pretty pronounced. I don’t know if this is a hardware speed issue, I’ve set Ntrack to highest priority and tried different recording/playback bit depth and sampling freq, doesn’t seem to do much… any thoughts?

thanks

Quote: (KR7 @ Nov. 26 2009, 1:39 PM)

Hi... another issue I wanted to ask for help with.. I am running into problems with getting slight blips in my recordings. it seems some of the blips are introduced while recording, so they're actually in the recorded file, and some are during playback (seems to happen at different places of the same file), and some seems to happen during mixdown. I'm not too sure, the blips are slight and sometimes hard to hear.. but sometimes pretty pronounced. I don't know if this is a hardware speed issue, I've set Ntrack to highest priority and tried different recording/playback bit depth and sampling freq, doesn't seem to do much... any thoughts?

thanks

We need more information, what type of PC your running, speed of the CPU+ type, what kind of OS, basic hardware info, then we might be able to give you an idea.

PACO

I’m running Windows7 on a MacBookPro 1.52GHz dualcore. Audio interface is an USB SoundBlaster Live 24bit.

I just tried using GarageBand in SnowLeopard to record and don’t have this blipping problem, so I think my hardware is fine. something about the way Ntrack is interacting with my hardware that isn’t working out so well…

I might just have to do my project in GarageBand… blah. GB is a fine program, but I’d been using Ntrack for a while and know it pretty well, and I have some nice VST effects I’d like to use, but I guess worst comes to worst GB it is then…

try messing with Buffering speeds?

As Paco pointed out there are a myriad of reasons this could be happening to as much information as you can give us the better.
like for instance are you recording in 44.1k or 48 or 86 or 92? 16bit 24bit?

ASIO for ALL drivers? MME? etc etc

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Quote: (KR7 @ Nov. 27 2009, 1:59 AM)

I'm running Windows7 on a MacBookPro 1.52GHz dualcore.
Audio interface is an USB SoundBlaster Live 24bit.

I just tried using GarageBand in SnowLeopard to record and don't have this blipping problem, so I think my hardware is fine.
something about the way Ntrack is interacting with my hardware that isn't working out so well...

I might just have to do my project in GarageBand... blah.
GB is a fine program, but I'd been using Ntrack for a while and know it pretty well, and I have some nice VST effects I'd like to use, but I guess worst comes to worst GB it is then...

With Windows 7, I would suggest you disable the wireless lan and any other devices you don't need in your device manager and then increase your buffers in your recording device. You should be able to use the ASIO4ALL drivers as theses drives are very suited to the creative card your using. However the ASIO4ALL drivers are not compatible with any of the newer Creative cards such as the X-FI brand and many problem are created as a result.

Note the ASIO4ALL driver with heavy buffering, which is what I use along with other devices, does at times when loading a song, pause and creates the issues you have. You will see the icon (green) for the ASIO4ALL on task bar blink when first loading it. This is normal as the driver loads buffers, wait until the icon stops flashing and then you can record or playback without pops or blips. Please note if you suddenly move to a point in the song their might be more flashing of the icon so just wait for it to stop blinking.

Just because the MAC OS didn't give you trouble doesn't mean the hardware is not the issue. It could be a combination of the two in Win 7. Using a USB Creative sound card would not be my first choice because the creative ASIO drivers are IMO the worst drivers for recording. I have owned many SB cards in my day and not one of them, meaning their ASIO drivers every worked correctly, not one. I use ASIO4ALL on my Audigy 4

I use a Line6 usb UX2 for recording as well and don't have any recording issues with it.

Hope this helps,

PACO