Book:  Behind the Glass

Recomended

I finally got around to getting hold of this book last month:

http://www.amazon.com/Behind-…9306149

It’s a very good read to anyone interested in the engineering and production aspects of music creation. Essentially it’s a collection of interviews with respected engineers and producers.

I’m only about half way through at the moment (pacing myself!) but there are some interesting generalites coming across. All these guys seem to concentrate more on working to encourage and capture the natural “vibe” and energy in the music rather than arguing whether an SM57 is the “right” mic to use to mic a snare drum etc. Getting it right when tracking rather than fixing in the mix is a common thread too.

The interviews are self contained and each one is only a few pages long which makes this a great pick-up-and-put-down book.

I’m probably too late and you’ve all read it years ago, but hey, just in case someone out there hasn’t, I thought I’d share!

Thanks Mark, haven’t read it myself, but will definately check it out! :agree:

Yaz

Thanks Mark,
Sounds an interesting read. Good to see you back,
Cheers,
Ian

Quote: (Bruffie @ Jan. 02 2008, 7:49 PM)

Thanks Mark,
Sounds an interesting read. Good to see you back,
Cheers,
Ian

Thanks Ian. Nice sig btw. :-)

Cheers Mark,

As a rule of thumb the sig stops me having to explain my religious or political stance to anyone :D For a guy who was brought up Church of Scotland, who lives in a Muslim country and whos’ wife is Catholic… that’s not such a bad thing :) :)