Bored stats

Ok, I think I’ve figured out how the topic went from board statistics to bathroom practices…

But I still haven’t figured out ‘why’. ???

Are there any Abnormal Psychology psychologists in here? :D

Xon, if you add Diogenes to Gtr4him, then they add up to Tim, and his total number approaches that of Tom.

However, his seat status and number of appendages used during micturition as yet remains one of life’s great unknowns. ???

:D

a

Gotta thank you, Ali, I learned a useful new word tonight! :D While we’re here, talking about unsavory topics, what’s the best place for haggis? I was watching this travel show, and the guy went to Crombie’s butcher shoppe in Edinburgh. Is that the place? Now my son wants me to find some around here, part of his heritage and all, but I wouldn’t know what to look for of course…and he wants to fly over there… :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

Gotta thank you, Ali, I learned a useful new word tonight!

You’re welcome Tom; from the latin mingere I think.

Which no doubt, is also the source of the Scots word “minge”, meaning the female genitals.

However, my non-Scots girlfriend could never correctly distinguish between that word and “midge”, an everpresent tiny biting fly.

I of course did my best to ensure that her confusion remained absolute, as were the stunned silences when she complained about those tiny biting delights of a summer’s evening to family, friends, vicars, and anyone else who was listening! :laugh:

Best place for haggis? In the rubbish bin Tom. Vile stuff.

Mind you, I love black pudding; congealed pig’s blood and suet rammed into a sheep’s large intestine, wonderful stuff. (honestly :) )

What was it Mike Myers said in So I Married an Axe Murderer - “Most Scottish food is meant as a Joke”?

Something like that anyway. :D

Not sure where to put this, but this topic seems to be as good a place as any.

This one is for you BeefySteve, as a Belgiophile. :)

Warning! X-Rated link!

Do not click if at work, in the presence of wife or minors, or if you’re a Republican! :D

Otherwise, click and read…I think they are making a good point (and if nothing else, you might win! :laugh:)

http://www.nee-antwerpen.be/index-eng.htm

Isn’t it nice that a politician is offering to let us do to them what they’ve been doing to us for years! :D

Eyup!

Thank you for being so thoughtful Ali.
I shall be visiting Belgium later on this year, unfortunately it will be after the elections, so no doubt the incentive will have been withdrawn by then. :(

I wonder what would have happened if Mrs Thatcher had made that pledge :ghostface:

Steve

Eyup!

Coincidentally, today (22 May 2007) is the 100th anniversary of the birth of probably the most famous Belgian ever.

Do you know who?

Steve

It has to be either Jacques Brel or Tintin; there are no other famous Belgians. :D

Um, that’s a parody, right?

<!–QuoteBegin>

NEE (No in Dutch) is a political party based in Antwerp, Flanders and founded in 2005. The party first participated in the municipal elections of 2006. The leading candidate for the party, Tania Derveaux received 1.5% of the votes for Antwerp municipal council.

So, no, it is not a parody.

It is a politician making a promise.

And is it remotely conceivable that any politician would ever break a promise? :)

Jeepers, you European folks really are a wild bunch! :D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Jeepers, you European folks really are a wild bunch!

Not really.

It’s just that 400 hundred years or so ago, someone came up with a really good idea how to get rid of all the puritans! :D

(Guest @ May 22 2007,20:08)
Jeepers, you European folks really are a wild bunch!

Not really.

It's just that 400 hundred years or so ago, someone came up with a really good idea how to get rid of all the puritans! :D
Hmmm..wonder if that would work now, on this side of the sea? Hmmm.... ???

Just looked at the board/bored stats, didn’t realize I made the top 10, jeez I need to shut up an play my guitar! :blush:

(Beefy Steve @ May 22 2007,13:34)
Eyup!

Coincidentally, today (22 May 2007) is the 100th anniversary of the birth of probably the most famous Belgian ever.

Do you know who?

Steve

Must be Herge! Famous Belgians are thin on the ground.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Must be Herge! Famous Belgians are thin on the ground.

Nonsense! Belgium abounds with world-famous people, look what I found on the Internet:

Edward de Smedt, inventor of road asphalt. (I thought that was Sean McTarmac?)

Raymond Ceulemans, 17 times world champion in billiards. (Yes, people still play billiards. But only in Belgium).

Helmut Lotti, international pop singer. (Well, “International” if you include Luxembourg)

Jean-Pierre Coopman, the only Belgian boxer ever to fight the great Mohammed Ali. (Guess who won? :D)

John Massis, the man with the strongest teeth in the world.

Joanna DeRoover - oldest documented living person in Belgium at the time of her death. (Apparently, she was bitten to death by the guy above).

Raymond Goethals, trainer of the Belgian National Football Team for 10 years. (He still never managed to get them to pee in the back yard though).

Emiel Puttemans, long-distance runner. (Which, considering the size of Belgium, is not easy)

Dirk Frimout - first Belgian astronaut. (And as soon as Belgium builds a rocket, he’ll be up there!)

Arfeuille, Walter, Guinness Record - lifted 281.5kg a distance of 17cm off the ground with his teeth in 1990. (Really into teeth the Belgians, aren’t they?).

Ferdi, Will, singer and first Belgian personality to announce he is gay. (But as he said it in Belgian, nobody understood).

Samson, famous Belgian TV dog. (Eat your heart out Lassie).

Urbanus (Urbain Servranckx), Belgium’s funniest comedian. (He’s the only one who can remember all of Belgium’s only joke).

And the history of Belgium is fascinating too…

After watching an opera, the Belgian people declared Independence in 1830 (that’s 6:30 PM if you’re American). It seems the cultural shock was too much for them, and they decided they wanted nothing else to do with the rest of the world. Belgium was Internationally recognised as a nation in 1839. (Until then, everyone thought it was a duck). Since then, Belgium’s rise as a world leader has been unstoppable! :D

Here’s another famous Belgian, but strangely enough he wasn’t mentioned in the list of famous Belgians I cribbed from in my previous post.

It’s a shame, because the world should never forget him.

Leopold II, King of the Belgians (Léopold Louis Philippe Marie Victor (French) or Leopold Lodewijk Filips Marie Victor (Dutch) (April 9, 1835 – December 17, 1909).

He was the founder and sole owner of the Congo Free State, a private project undertaken by the King to extract rubber and ivory in the Congo region of central Africa.

Reports of outrageous exploitation and widespread human rights abuses (including enslavement and mutilation of the native population), especially in the rubber industry, led to an international protest movement in the early 1900s.

Forced labour was extorted from the natives. Estimates of the death toll range from 8 to 30 million, and many historians consider the atrocities to have constituted a genocide.

Eyup!

Interesting.
King Leopold II was two people (French and Dutch)?
I suppose that’s why he was Leopold II and not Leopold I
Or did he have a twin brother?
Must have been awfully confusing to have a pair of twins with the same names.

However, we seem to be redefining the word famous here, you know, famous, as in widely known

OK, I’ll concede Emiel Puttemans (and maybe Samson the dog) but I was actually referring to Herge, the creator of Tintin.

The only other famous Belgian is Hercule Poirot, who is, of course a fictional character created by Agatha Christie, who was not Belgian and not called Agatha Christie in real life.

I knew that Belgium had a colony in the Congo, but didn’t know about the horrors perpetrated by the two Leopolds. Truly shocking.

Belgium itself has quite a bloody past. The “Languge Wars” fought between the French and Flemish were raging as recently as the late 1960’s and even today there is a kind of apartheid based on language still in force.

Still, what can you expect in a country with over 500 types of beer :p

Steve

That’s alot of beer!

(Guest @ May 30 2007,22:42)
Nonsense! Belgium abounds with world-famous people, look what I found on the Internet:

Impressive list but you forgot Jean-Claude Van Dumb. Famous Belgian actor(and I use the term loosely).

Helmut Lotti is a good one. I have a recording of him singing his version of "Another Christmas Song" by Jethro Tull.... "Lotti" sings "Tull", has to be heard to be believed.

Beefy.. as u probably know, I go to Belgium each year to stay with friends for a week or so. I've tried many of the 500 beers, even the Graul that the Monks make. Belgians are fanatical about beer ( and why not?)

Mind you... Most of the guys I know there are also fanatical about music, so they can't be too bad :)

Ian