Bought Jamstix, IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

absolutely incredible!

Compatability w/ n is questionable. There’s something in their forum about it, but I’m sure Flavio and/or they will work it out very soon, because this is THE drum software, and an absolute steal at $99.00. It’s very simple to use right from the get-go (if I can anybody can, believe me!), or you have almost infinite options to make it do most anything you want (and according to the dev., much more options are on the horizon as free downloads for the most part). I’m using it in Chainer right now and it is rock stable with live audio as well as midi input. I’ve barely touched the surface, and am completely blown away! I kind of feel sorry for drummers, because so far this is as good or better than a pro live drummer, IMHO! Yeah, I KNOW WHAT YOU’RE THINKING, but please do yourselves a favor and try this app out (there’s a very usable demo). It will have you looking over your shoulder to see where the drummer is in your studio…uncanny! You will most likely be as astounded as I am. Plus, the customer service is Flavio-like. Oh yeah, there are also bass and guitar versions coming out, and all will seamlessly integrate! Man, I’m in hog-heaven! http://www.rayzoon.com/

I downloaded the demo a while back and it is very good.
But it keeps crashing in N-track.
Also I can’t work out how to program in a basic rhythm and then get it to play that back but with little variations etc.
It always seems to just go off and do it’s own thing so to speak and you end up with some parts that suit the song and some that don’t.

Alright as something to jam along to but not all that useful for putting a drum track to a song.

Maybe it can do that and I just haven’t figured it out…

RichLum,
That question came up in the Jamstix forum and the dev explained how to do what you described, but I haven’t gotten that far yet. Still exploring all the possibilities.

Hi Guys,
That does sound like a cool program that I would love to try and hopefully buy but I’m not going to risk my setup on an iffy plugin at this time but I did post a request on the jamstix forum for support/ntrack, here is what I posted there;

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:43 am Post subject: I use ntrack exclusively

Quote:
At this time we cannot afford to deal with the n-track issues, especially since other VSTi from big companies have problems in n-track, too, indicating host issues. /Quote

Hi Ralph,
Well I would have tried the demo tonight and if your jamstix worked as well as everyones enthusiasm I would have also bought it tonight BUT I use ntrack exclusively and have been for over 4 yrs now. You know Flavio is always upgrading ntrack and loves to improve the ntrack software. Why not go to bat for us by downloading n track and testing it then submitting a bug report at ntrack.com? I would but I don’t have the technical background where you would be able to explain what is happening on a level that will bring quicker results.
The ntrack download link
http://ntrack.com/download.shtm
Bug report link for ntrack
http://ntrack.com/feedback_form.html
Jamstix sounds like an awsome program, keep up the great work.
I’ll be watching for future developments and compatability with N.
Thanks,
Tom

Well see if Ralph and Flavio can work it out, I know that Flavio will if he gets bug reports. If jamstixs works as good as they say this is going to be one hot item that ntrack is going to have to host eventually.
Thanks for the cool point!
Tom

This could be a real breakthrough piece of software for us nondrummers who use n-Track. The concept is very intriguing. I’ve tried to experiment with the jamstix demo and am having crashing problems and unfortunately not of the cymbal variety. :(

At this time we cannot afford to deal with the n-track issues, especially since other VSTi from big companies have problems in n-track, too, indicating host issues.

That's a cop-out, because "other VSTi from big companies have problems" is true for every DAW.

What they really mean is "We're busy with other problems and we don't think the n-Track market is big enough to bother with."

Jeff has hit it on the head. If they see that they are loosing enough sales they will look into it. The truth being, they are assuming it’s not their problem so they aren’t going to look any further right now. If they knew for a fact it was a problem with n-Tracks then they wouldn’t have anything more to do than point it out to Flavio. They can’t afford to do that because they have “other problems”? It really sounds like they have worse problems than just not working in n-Tracks and we don’t know what they are because it doesn’t work at all for most of us. They probably deserve patience until they get that stuff worked out.

Well, for me it works in Sonar, Nuendo, Cubase, ProTools and tRACKTION 1.X. Just hung in N-track. No error. Just hung.

Quote (Tom @ Mar. 25 2005,02:59)
Well see if Ralph and Flavio can work it out, I know that Flavio will if he gets bug reports.

Tom,
If you check out the JamStix forum again, it looks like Ralph has started looking into it somewhat:
Quote (From Ralph at rayzoon.com's Jamstix-N-track forum sticky @ Mar. 25 2005,10:05)
I just used Jamstix in the n-Track 4 demo without any problems other than that it was only in the left channel, which I attribute to my non-existing knowledge of n-Track. I used MIDI track and then used the Jamstix that shows up in the blue VST icon sub menu at the bottom above DXi.

Could you outline your problems?
__
Ralph Zeuner
rayzoon technologies
http://www.rayzoon.com

So it despite the initial brush-off, it seems Ralph just might be willing to put some effort into this. Heck, now that N-track is on his machine, maybe he'll switch? :laugh:

(BTW, for anyone who wants to follow this, the sticky at Rayzoon's forum is here.)

Tony
Quote (learjeff @ Mar. 25 2005,12:32)
[quoteAt this time we cannot afford to deal with the n-track issues, especially since other VSTi from big companies have problems in n-track, too, indicating host issues.

That's a cop-out, because "other VSTi from big companies have problems" is true for every DAW.
Ya I agree Jeff, that's why I publicly challenged him with links. He did reply to my post already with promising results (he tested drumstix in Nv4), however he applied the use of jamstix via a midi track whick would be fine. He said that he only had it working in the left channell, which tells me that he was monitering and didn't check to see if that drum track/tracks did infact record. Sounds good, here is a link to his reply:
Drumstix
Quote (clark_griswold @ Mar. 25 2005,13:28)
Well, for me it works in Sonar, Nuendo, Cubase, ProTools and tRACKTION 1.X. Just hung in N-track. No error. Just hung.

Apply it in a midi track and see if that helps.
Quote (Scantee @ Mar. 25 2005,14:12)
Quote (Tom @ Mar. 25 2005,02:59)
Well see if Ralph and Flavio can work it out, I know that Flavio will if he gets bug reports.

Tom,
If you check out the JamStix forum again, it looks like Ralph has started looking into it somewhat:
Quote (From Ralph at rayzoon.com's Jamstix-N-track forum sticky @ Mar. 25 2005,10:05)
I just used Jamstix in the n-Track 4 demo without any problems other than that it was only in the left channel, which I attribute to my non-existing knowledge of n-Track. I used MIDI track and then used the Jamstix that shows up in the blue VST icon sub menu at the bottom above DXi.

Could you outline your problems?
__
Ralph Zeuner
rayzoon technologies
http://www.rayzoon.com

So it despite the initial brush-off, it seems Ralph just might be willing to put some effort into this. Heck, now that N-track is on his machine, maybe he'll switch? :laugh:

(BTW, for anyone who wants to follow this, the sticky at Rayzoon's forum is here.)

Tony

Right! :D This is good!
Quote (Tom @ Mar. 25 2005,14:38)
Quote (clark_griswold @ Mar. 25 2005,13:28)

Apply it in a midi track and see if that helps.

thanks, I'll try it
The problem very well could be in n-Tracks. Looks like they are at least taking a look instaed of assuming. That's a good thing. I'm sure Flavio will take a look, based on past experience.

Yes from what I’ve been reading in the forum the developer is vey responsive to feedback from users.

They only just released version 1 out of beta yesterday and that was a deadline they had set so I think most of their effort was going into meeting that deadline.

At the moment I’m using the demo in Tracktion bu I don’t like tracktion and don’t want to use it.
I can’t figure out how to record the output of jamstix in tracktion…

If it gets working in N then I would definitely buy it

Here’s hoping…

Rich

RichLum,
As a workaround, use TapeIt in the Jamstix channel in Tracktion. That should be a simple way to record just the Jamstix output, but I’m sure there’s another way somehow.

Thanks etaws.
I’ve never used that plugin but I just downloaded it so will give it a whirl.

Also I just tried Jamstix in N again and it doesn’t seem to hang now… (been using for about half an hour with audio only).

I worked out how to use the arranger too :)
But it would be good if you could preview the patterns in jamstix…

I too am getting the same problem the developer had - output is only coming out of the left channel…

Also n-Track doesn’t seem to always send the data to tell jamstix what bar it is (ie. if you move the position marker in the timeline sometimes Jamstix will adjust it’s bar number and start playback from the right bar and sometimes it just continues from where you stopped it.

Tracktion it works everytime so it seems like n-Track needs to always send the position data when you pres play…

I’ll submit a bug report via the form for both the left channel output and the position data

Rich

Quote (phoo @ Mar. 25 2005,16:00)

The problem very well could be in n-Tracks. Looks like they are at least taking a look instaed of assuming. That's a good thing. I'm sure Flavio will take a look, based on past experience.

Ya probably so poo, here is what Ralph Zeuner of rayzoon technologies says and it only makes sense for them to like the programs that theirs works best in.

As far as other hosts are concerned, it is not an easy choice. Here are some hosts that we like and that work well with Jamstix:

- Tracktion
- Sonar 3 and 4
- Cubase SX 2 and 3
- Ableton Live 4.1
- FL Studio 5

Richlum told them that he's testing it in tracktion but wants it to work in ntrack! Right on Richlum! :D I'll be testing soon too!
Dose this thing sound to good to be true? And has anyone got it to record?
Anyway Ralph is cool.
Quote (RichLum @ Mar. 25 2005,17:00)

I too am getting the same problem the developer had - output is only coming out of the left channel...

Hey Rich doesn't the input (recording track input) always default to the left channell? Did you record the jamstix track and play it back? hmmm your saying output, that would be very werid!
So this thing actually sinks up with a prerecorded track that you have? Very intresting!