Boycott the absurd!

Recently, there have been several posts on this forum that focus on berating n-track. I will not mention names, but I think we all know the situation.

Obviously, the topics of these posts just serve to make all of the loyal n-trackers outraged, and have nothing to do with any real shortcomings of n-track.

As a psychologist and a behaviorist, I feel it is about time for some group planned ignoring of irrelevant posts. Typically, when behavior is extinguished in this manner, there is a temporary increase in behavior (i.e., bad posting); however, in the end, the posts will diminish because they will no longer serve the function of gaining our attention.

Got it. Hard to do. But will do! :)

I suggest we work out a schedule and take Dewey go-carting twice a week. This will keep him busy and happy which is what he is looking for. I will take the first part of the October shift. I can’t promise anything after that since Minnesota is somewhat unpredictable…what with winter and all.

I suggest that one of the more southern midwestern nTrackers take the second half of October and then we can work our way south, east and west from there.

Does this schedule work out for you Dewey?

I thought ignoring trolls was just an “understood” practice on the 'net? ???

Oh well, to accelerate the Dewey cleansing process, responding more frequently than usual to other posts would get Dewey pushed off page 1 more quickly, of course. :D

The Administrator can ban his IP address.

That will be a good start!!!

Eyup!

I know it’s only vanity on my part, but I kind of like people like Dewey. They make me feel superior :D

Steve

To some degree, the questions posed by folks like Dewey and Ted Nugent are valid. The way they bring up the subject is what’s invalid and shows their ignorance of the subject they are spouting off about.

Yes, many recording done using n-Tracks sound thin and amateurish - maybe most. Does n-Tracks crash a lot? For some folks it does, but some folks have used it for years without any problems. To blame n-Tracks, the software, or Flavio the one programmer-bug-fixer for these is a disservice to all involved. It doesn’t get to the root of the problem, whatever that is.

Bad recordings/mixes? Then learn how to record and mix. It’s that simple. There’s a lot of folks around here that are more than willing to help.

App crashing? Post the repro steps and hardware specs. It’s possible the problem can be fixed with a few config changes and/or driver updates. It’s also possible that n-Tracks doesn’t work well the hardware combination, and can’t be made work well. If another app work without problems then use it. It’s just that simple.

I’ve said his before and I’ll say it again. If you are running an AMD you are more likely to have problems with audio than when running an Intel CPU chipset combo. AMD machines can and do run fine and Intels have problems. Add it all together and stuff doesn’t work very well sometimes. Coders can do only so much to compensate for this almost infinite hardware config problem.

To add fuel to that fire I’ve recently found out that there is a bug in some AMD machines that will cause QueryPerformaceCounter to run backwards. This is the high resolution timer used by most audio/multimedia applications. When it runs backwards there will be glitching and possibly crashes if the app and drivers don’t compensate. This is not a bug in Windows or the API. It’s a problem that motherboard is sending back clock ticks in reverse.

The only workaround is to clamp the current time to “now or later”. Even doing that may not avoid glitches since the workaround causes samples to be repeated until the timer catches up and moves forward. I did a search of the internet and didn’t come up with anything useful, there are some hits where a few apps have it listed in their bug fixes, and a few posts in forums where folks are asking about the symptom they discovered when coding.

So, that’s my take on these things…even if I feed the trolls myself.

Quote (phoo @ Oct. 08 2005,13:11)
....even if I feed the trolls myself.

NO Phoo!! Don't do it! Feed 'em Toker instead! :p :p

TG

PS Hee-hee just kiddin' Soul-man. I guess you are all right for a lefty nutcase. :D

Sure - if anyone doubts what can be done with this software, just listen to phoo’s stuff.

:)

Quote (TomS @ Oct. 08 2005,17:07)
Sure - if anyone doubts what can be done with this software, just listen to phoo's stuff.

:)

He!! YEAH!

TG

Bubba said “Don’t feed the trolls.” but you just had to feed the trolls. The Bubba knows a thing or two sometimes.

But really, does it matter that much? So someone has a vendetta against n-Track and they wanna be a prick on the forum. Oh well! If you wanna argue with him, fine! If not, don’t! Either way, it’s not a big deal!

How do i listen to phoo’s stuff? :D

http://www.thefartones.com is the recent n-Tracks recorded stuff (not exatly “mine” as you’ll see).

Quote (phoo @ Oct. 08 2005,23:05)
http://www.thefartones.com is the recent n-Tracks recorded stuff (not exatly "mine" as you'll see).

As that as in like "The Fart Tones". Good one man.

As that as in like "The Fart Tones". Good one man. :;):
Quote (random_id @ Oct. 08 2005,09:03)
Recently, there have been several posts on this forum that focus on berating n-track. I will not mention names, but I think we all know the situation.

Obviously, the topics of these posts just serve to make all of the loyal n-trackers outraged, and have nothing to do with any real shortcomings of n-track.

As a psychologist and a behaviorist, I feel it is about time for some group planned ignoring of irrelevant posts. Typically, when behavior is extinguished in this manner, there is a temporary increase in behavior (i.e., bad posting); however, in the end, the posts will diminish because they will no longer serve the function of gaining our attention.

Ehrrr...uhmmm....behaviorist and psychologist. Hmmmm. Been reading up a little too much on Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs, Freud, Kafka and Kerouac there, bro? You're probably an obsese elder with yellowed fingernails and a stinky beard stuck somewhere in an office in academia - prolly a community college at most. Any real psychologist wouldn't be frittering their billable time away on an n-track forum. Bwahahhah! Moron. :D

Found google have we Dewey?

So are the go-carts just totally out or what?

Skinner was the prime behaviorist. His genius was grossly misunderstood by a generation or two of psychologists, unfortunately, but the value of his contributions remain.

Anyway, I didn’t even bother to read the posts, since they were obvious bait. If you want my help, you’re better off showing an earnest desire for help. If you want to spout, sorry, I won’t bother paying much attention.

Most angry posters crave the reaction and the fight. It’s very easy not to give it to them.

And Phoo does have a point; sometimes there is a valid viewpoint underlying cantankerous posts. Sometimes there’s merit to addressing the point. Sometimes folks who start out sounding like they’re nothing but looking for a fight turn out to have valuable contributions. But it’s a small enough minority, and I’d prefer to ignore hostile posts and give them the space to start again more peaceably.

n-Track has plenty of bugs, or perhaps interworking problems with various DLLs and chipsets, and yes it’s very frustrating when it crashes or doesn’t work. But hostility doesn’t produce better software.