Brian Powell - Never Change

It’s really nice to be back guys! :slight_smile:

So, I’ve been working hard at school, and I know I haven’t posted here in about 6 months, so I hope there are still people here who know me :D ??? . I wrote this yesterday and recorded it. I remember hearing someone say once recording is so much more than just your equipment, so… I try to keep that in mind every time I do a new song. I spent about 6 hours on this one. I hope you all like it.

Never Change

I guess I feel the same
it’s nothing ordinary
I’ve got a girl that waits for me down in la jolla

And it’s okay
You’re still the same
You never change
You’re still the same

All of my questions here they have to do with who you are
Just a girl I love
or that wish upon a star

you may change
you never change
So my doubts fall away
You’re still the same

And if you stay
I know we’ll stay
We may change
We’ll never change

The was recorded using N-Track Studio 3 & Adobe Audition. I did all the effects with the amazing Izotope Ozone, the very nice freeware bLUEline plugins, and the built in Audition full reverb plugs (for bg tracks).

I’d love to discuss any recording angle of this too (since this is still a recording forum:;):

Brian Powell - Never Change

and I’d love for you to check out the rest of the stuff at the main site

Enjoy!

Brian

Eyup!

Nice to see you back Brian. I remember you as a regular contributor when I first joined the forum a few years ago. I’m still impressed with your music. Nice website too!

Steve

I remember you too Brian. Welcome back.

In fact, one of your recordings inspired us to record an entire album of contemporary christian worship songs with our church worship groups!

Mark

That is awesome to hear! I’m really glad. Which track was it?

What do u both think of this one? I am looking forward to messing around with it and editing it to make it PERFECT.

I was contacted by a record label yesterday after they got a hold of this song and they really like it. They want to put it on a compliation disk that will be put in stores (in Canada.) But… that’s really… really cool. So, if you hear something you don’t like in the song, please tell me so we can make this an awesome track!

Brian

*** I updated the main post with a new version of the song… I worked out a few problems with “harsh” vocals, and added a couple of things… ***

Eyup!

I would leave it as it is Brian.
To my mind, if a song has come together like that in so short a time, it doesn’t want to be changed :D
Seriously.

Steve

<!–QuoteBegin>

That is awesome to hear! I’m really glad. Which track was it?

I can’t actually remember. What captured my imagination was that it was possible with humble tools to make great sounding songs as an “amateur”.

I remember playing one of your songs as “proof” in our church office.

Would have been probably mid to late 2002 I think.

Mark

<!–QuoteBegin>

la jolla

Another one of those weird coincidence things is that the guy who introduced me to Jesus was from La Jolla… which is only strange I guess because we don’t get too many Californians on the south coast of the UK.

Mark

haha. Well - my girlfriend is both beautiful and awe inspiring. It’s good to know that great things besides her can come out of there. :)

-Brian

Quote (Mark A @ Jan. 13 2006,01:41)
That is awesome to hear! I'm really glad. Which track was it?

I can't actually remember. What captured my imagination was that it *was* possible with humble tools to make great sounding songs as an "amateur".

I remember playing one of your songs as "proof" in our church office.

Would have been probably mid to late 2002 I think.

Mark
Maybe 'I can only imagine' ?

Welcome back again Brian !

I'm downloading the file - will get back to ya

W.

i think this has been nicely produced…however i think the bass sometimes clashes on some notes with the vocal and keys(?) like its not the right note…almost out of tune a bit, but i dont know if it really needs fixing…otherwise its well good. quite coldplay! (thats an insult to some, i hope not to you)

Hmm… I worked a lot with the bass, what do you think it needs? I switch off between having the kick drum and the bass be the “stronger” bass sound, because there is no bass guitar during the verses, only the chorus.

Wow, Brian! Great work! This is one of the best songs I’ve heard on here for a while. I wish that people would actually give advice to you. I think that the vocals sound great, as does the guitar, but (maybe it’s just my speakers) the bass seems to be lacking. I noticed in some of your other songs that the bass has been overpowered, so maybe you’re trying to under-represent it? I don’t know. Just maybe something you’d like to look at.

Roy

Hey man, thanks for the comment. Yeah, I have noticed that in a lot of the songs I’ve done that the bass is over-represented. On high end systems the bass in this song should come in and “fill” up the empty space, but I’m having trouble with low end systems getting the bass to “sound right.” Any suggestions on what I could do?

Brian

After having a listen, I’d probably bring up and compress the bass a bit and carve space for the kick thump out of it. Listen to the kick while eqing the bass - ignore the bass, more or less while doing so.

This is another winner. Even though this is recording forum, I’m always more impressed by a good composition and arrangement. A good recording will be transparent enough to let those things shine through and this did that for me. Otherwise, I think a person can beat themselves up trying to overanalyze the mix. Of course, I do that all the time.

Maybe the bass guitar could be more prominent and I’m not a big fan of the snare sound. It sounds a bit mechanical. Love the organ sound. It’s a very beautiful song. Nice work, dude!!