Brodcast Wave

I know NTrack saves position of the wave files with the .sng extension. I wish Flavio would introduce the option for Broadcast Wave to save the files to in case we want to transfer to other programs and not lose the positions of the waves on the timeline. Lining them up is a pain in the butt.
Is Broadcast Wave an option in newer versions of N?

I am not 100% on this, but I believe it was added in v5. does anyone else know? ???

I read through the “whats changed” for all the versions of N and saw no references to Broadcast Wave.

I believe N supports the .bwf standard, and can open broadcast wav files, but cannot yet write them. Let us hope that a future build will have this functionality! :)

'til then;
TW

Quote (wynot @ Feb. 13 2007,16:24)
I believe N supports the .bwf standard, and can open broadcast wav files, but cannot yet write them. Let us hope that a future build will have this functionality! :)

'til then;
TW

That's my understanding too.

One thing I haved learned is to leave the “Snap to grid” option on when you are recording and/or moving tracks around - makes re-aligning tracks much easier. Also greatly simplifies cloning parts to another section of the song (even though that’s cheating!).
:p

Question: I know that using broadcast waves might be preferable, but why not mixdown each track to a wav without effects and bypassing compression/eq? ??? I mean, you shouldn’t have to align each wav file. It’s a lot faster to mixdown an entire track to a wav. Is there some serious degridation I’m missing? I mean, wav files are supposed to be an uncompressed, non-lossy format, right? So it wouldn’t do any serious harm to the tracks just to mix them down to a single wav file for each track, right?

first things first - BWF = sample rate 48000khz at 24bits - so the ability to produce a “true” BWF file would not be available to the majority of N users who still use 16bits -

in theory any 48k 24bit wavefile is a BWF file and will have a starting point of 00.00.00.00 in SMPTE, ie there is no offset -

BWF files that contain more than 1 track where an offset is required is quite complicated look here -

http://www.sr.se/utveckling/tu/bwf/prog/RF_64v1_4.pdf

start here -
http://www.sr.se/utveckling/tu/bwf/

download the chunk viewer its a great tool for viewing BWF header files - and also a short BWF track -

then look here -

http://www.ebu.ch/NWsearch/search.php

also look for atricals on LOUDNESS -

Dr J

Quote (DR Jackrabbit @ Feb. 13 2007,17:40)
first things first - BWF = sample rate 48000khz at 24bits - so the ability to produce a "true" BWF file would not be available to the majority of N users who still use 16bits -

'ang on, didn't we already do this????

Ahhh yes. http://www.ntrack.com/cgi-bin....;hl=bwf

and we agreed that BWF are not limited to 48kHz didn't we?

All that needs adding is the BWF “chunk” with the time and offset information. Then any host that can read the “chunk” can position the wave file properly in time. The only way I have found to import files recorded in n-Track to other hosts has been mentioned above. Solo, bypass FX, bypass Master, RENDER… PITA!

Flavio, write the BWF chunk please?

D

PS BWF’s are not limited to 48khz or 24 bits.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Flavio, write the BWF chunk please?

Ask and ye shall receive. New build has BWF support.

Thanks Flavio!

D

OMG!!! it only took me one time to log in this time! amazing! #### laptop usually takes like an hour before the forum quits telling me I’m not logged in.

ANYWAYS…

BWF!!! completely Kick ASS!

now who’s got the best support in the whole fam damly? :)

speaking of feature requests… Anyone know a free plugin that will take a stereo track and make it mono? I have some “sidechain” compressor plugins that you load up a stereo track, input on the left and affected channel on the right. Problem is that since it’s stereo, it comes out with only the affected channel on the right side… not the center like I desire…

“speaking of feature requests…” best to start a new topic on this one naming the plugins you use, BWF is not of interest to everyone and you may get better answers to your problem if posted seperately -

Dr J

Quote (guitars69 @ Feb. 22 2007,03:39)
speaking of feature requests... Anyone know a free plugin that will take a stereo track and make it mono? I have some "sidechain" compressor plugins that you load up a stereo track, input on the left and affected channel on the right. Problem is that since it's stereo, it comes out with only the affected channel on the right side... not the center like I desire...

Hi g69

Try the Stereo Tools plugin by Kelly Industries. It's free, does the job well. Bill (Wox) put me on to it via a post here some time ago. Been using it every since.

Uh Oh! Finaly a reason I might have to upgrade from 3.

I created a seperate topic for you on the stereo to mono thing.