Buck Owens at 76

The Passing of a Legend…

The local news has reported the death of Buck Owens.

Buck Owens was one of the Legends of the West Coast Country Music scene… Buck, along with Don Rich became popular in the early-to-mid '60’s and spread their style of music around the world…

One of the Greats in Country Music, has passed on… at the age of 76…

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=219487&GT1=7703

Bill…

A great one is right Bill. I grew up listening to everything of Buck I could get my hands on. He certainly was one of the trailblazers.

Don

I was a Bar Room Bass player from the '60’s through to the late '90’s…

There were very few “sets” of the stages that I played on, that didn’t have a Buck Owens “Cover” song.

Here’s one…

http://www.woxnerw.com/index_folder/work_in_progress/YOu_Ain’t_Gonna_Have_Ole_Buck_to_Kick_Around_Bass_mix_03_06_14_05_48000.npk_mixdown01_44100.wma

The link might work now…

He withdrew into himself when we lost Don Rich… “TOO BAD”… What a loss… Life goes on… :O ??? :(

Bill…

This has been a tough weekend for me and most of the guys I worked with for close to 40 years-or-so… I got some mail from a steel player that I worked with during the late '60’s and realy '70’s… Here is part of the mail I received from him and the reply I gave him regarding the unfortunate passing of Buck Owens, this past weekend.

Lew wrote:

Hi there! Most of you probably heard Buck Owens just passed away.

I very much remember the Buckaroos recording Live in Carnegie Hall, and Tom Brumley’s steel playing.

Buck seemed to lose interest in further recording after the passing of Don Rich.

I guess Don and Buck are “Together Again” may God bless them and us too.

In memory of Buck Owens, loved by us all and Buck’s songs touched us all.

I hope you enjoy.

Lew

And I replied:

It’s a sad moment in music to hear the news. If you remember… there may have few sets and long nights of playing that there was no Buck Music heard on the stages we played on…

Here’s one… http://www.woxnerw.com/index_f…100.wma

It’s the only chance I had to play with Buck. And Don… I remember, he did a show at the Halifax form one hot night in August 1965… There was an electrical storm that took out the power just before the show started… But anyway, they appeared some 20 minutes late and put on an unforgettable show… But, being in the form no one would really know how good IT was… Cause the acoustics were so poor… Buddy Allen and Merle Haggart and Bonnie Owens were there… along with Tom and Don and I didn’t know the other stage guys… However, I should have known them… I was playing with DougJohn and Lenord back then… We were all there, to take IT in… Life has IT’s way of consumming us all… Sooner-or-Later…

Bill…

Lew… the Steel Player has been working on a CD where he lives in Fredricton, New Brunswick… He sent an attachement of one of the songs he tracked. It was, Together Again… If I could only give you some of his style… However, life goes on…

Bill…

Even though country music was never really my favorite genre, I have a lot of respect for the craftsmen. ESPECIALLY trailblazers… Buck croonin’ em out and ol’ Don SMOKING UP that Tele. Man, what a combo…

RIP Buck…

D

Watched ol Buck with my Dad many a night on Hee Haw.
A passing of yet another legend.
R.I.P. Buck Owens.

Dad’s been gone for a year now, still miss him everyday. :(