budget midi keyboard controller

recommendations for n-track

Excited about the n-drums and daHornet!! I haven’t had time to upgrade since before these added features. I have never used midi (always analog and acoustic) but I can see these features being very useful in the songwriting process and I think I’m ready to delve into the world of MIDI!
Question for you: What is the cheapest keyboard-type controller; (and I suppose something with velocity sensitivity would be good too, but I don’t think I’m going to need a whole lot! I just need something that is N-track friendly).
Thanks!

BTW I saw the post a little while ago highlighting three keyboard controllers, I just didn’t know if there was a very simple board out-there that was definitely n-tracks compatible.
Thanks.

I recently bought the Edirol PCR M80 ($229), and it’s heaven. If your desk is small it comes in shorter versions too. The keys play as good as a real Roland but a lot cheaper. There is no pre-programmed n-track setting - is there ever? - but it comes with software that allows you to set it up however you want.

If you prefer a piano action, the Radio Shack electric piano($299) has semi-weighted keys and it plays nice, but it’s only a keyboard, no faders or pots to use as a complex controller.

My keyboard is keystation 61 of M-Audio, is old. The control is limited, but I install one behringer BCR2000 for the N-Track control of functions (play, record,scroll,rewind,mix controls,etc.) and MIDI CC for control of plug ins in realtime. The combination of my old keyboard and control surface (very important if the keyboard is simple or not control button or not transmit MIDI messages) is ok.

I picked up an M-Audio Keystation 49e last summer while I was traveling to do some composing away from home.

Works great.