BUFFERING

Buffering question

Hi,

I am having an issue with the “pop” noise on my recordings. Sometimes it happens every 10-20 seconds or more. I fine tuned my PC for media and I also tried to adjust the “buffering” section, only problem is, I do not really understand that section.
(I’m using N-track 4.1 / build 1974)

Here’s my setup:
CPU: Intel Pentium 3.4GHz
Memory: OCZ 1GB
Hard Drive: SATA 160GB
Recording device: Echo Layla(20-bit) (8 inputs)

My “Buffering” page looks like this at the moment:

Live input/Vumeters buffering: 8192 / # 4
Playback buffering: 8192 / #4
Recording buffering: 12800 / # 8

Preload buffers: 8
Disk loading buffers: 10

Buffer writing -> buf size: 12800

Thank you in advance,

David

First off, what driver are you using? WDM or ASIO? If it is ASIO, you must set the buffers through your sound card, not N-track. If you are using WDM, then just choose the super extremely high buffering preset in N-track and start to go to lower presets. You will find a jump from one to the next will introduce clicks, so just crank it up one level.

Hi,

I use PureWave. I tried WDM which is not as good as PureWave and I still had “pops” issues. It is really weird, I recorded (for testing purposes) a guitar for a minute, listened to it and it sounded fine, then I recorded it again and I had the “pops” again. I’ve been working on this for a few days and just can’t resolve this issue.

I use this driver for the Echo layla:

http://www.echoaudio.com/downloa…eta.pdf

HHEEEELLLPPPPP

Did you read what I wrote? Read it again.

From page 4:
<!–QuoteBegin>

Please note that, at this time, PureWave is considered to be an unsupported beta feature.

Well, I have a Layla20 and don’t have any problems with it when using MME. I normally have the buffers set to the default Normal setting, but need to move up to the higher settings the more tracks in the song. I haven’t had much luck using WDM or ASIO with the Layla20. I do only 16 bit recording with the Layla20.

I also have have a Gina24. I use PureWave with that card and do 24 bits with it. I very occasionally have pops with it, but only when there’s too many tracks playing back while recording. I don’t know what too many is though. It seems to vary with the moon or my neighbors dogs mood.

PureWave may be you best bet in my opinion - it goes through MME – but I’ve only used it with the Gina24. The Layla20 version may be different. I suggest trying MME next. Start with Normal, then bump the buffers up (like Bubba suggests) if it’s still popping - use the buffer presets. Let us know how it goes. The popping could be from something else.

The driver is beta, yes, but it’s been that way for a long time. The latest Layla20 driver is VERY solid. There’s nothing beta about it, except in name, in my opinion. I doubt Echo has any reason to make it non-beta since they have moved to all new hardware.

Thanks for the information Phoo. I will try it.

Sorry, but what is MME?

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.ph…y&id=81

MME is the old Microsoft standard for drivers. They are usually very stable but latency is higher with them, and can be much higher when compared to ASIO. Latency is only an issue when using the Live button - realtime monitoring through the software - so if that’s not an issue then the additional latency is a non-issue.

Sorry, I’m gone blank and can’t remember what MME actually stands for…eh…it’s Monday.

MultiMediaExtention? WDM is Windows Driver Model. :)

Yep. MME = MultiMedia Extensions… WDM = Windows Driver Model, ASIO = Audio Stream Input/Output. All the other monikers are usually some proprietary “wrapper” around MME or WDM. For example ASIO4ALL is a wrapper that encapsulates an existing WDM driver.

Got a headache now? I know I do! :p

TG

…and it’s STILL Monday. :)

Quote (phoo @ Oct. 11 2005,13:57)
...and it's STILL Monday. :)

LOL! The way it's been going here so far... the rest of the week will be friggin' Monday!

Yesterday, pipe break floods control room, wrecks 4 PC's, kills network... ALL before noon. About 2000 last night, they find out some MORON left a valve open and dumped roughly 10 gallons of chemical all over the third floor which trickled and ran all the way to the ground floor.

I'm going home early. $#$ ^&%& $#@#$%!!!!!

TG

BINGO!!! :)

Hi guys and thank you for all of your help.

I am trying to understand buffering and the buffering page on n-Track.

When do you use Low buffering (fast CPU?) and such???????

Live input/Vumeters buffering:
Playback buffering:
Recording buffering:

Preload buffers:
Disk loading buffers:

Buffer writing -> buf size:

Thanks,

Peace